Choose a discussion

New mobile phone

£240 to spend on a new phone. Would push to £275, as that is the price of the Nexus 5, which is currently my top option.

Just wondering what else folks can recommend? What Windows phones would fall into that price range?

0 |

Android isn't polished enough? In what way?

0 |

The main thing for me is the text smoothing and contrast. Now I know you can switch up the contrast in settings but it just seemed below par IMO. I even picked up latest galaxy to see what it looked like.

0 |

I need more time with it. The shop over here had a try for 2 weeks and bring it back but the contract I have has a cheap as fuck phone payment. I would lost that If I traded it in. I don’t know if they do this back home but you can swap your phone after 1 year on contract.

0 |

It’s like moving from Mac to windows.

0 |

text smoothing lol

2 |

I've always used android apart from one iPhone few years ago. I do prefer iOS over android but for needs android works fine and you get a better deal. If both were same price I'd go iOS every time but android does the job nicely

0 |

i have an iphone 7 work phone and willingly use a galaxy s5 instead

0 |

I don't think I could go back to iOS now. There's just too many things you can do with Android that you cant with iOS, or you cant easily. Plus you can get about Android far faster, switching between apps, sharing between apps, connecting to other devices, etc. iOS almost feels cumbersome now when I use it.

iOS does look prettier though.

1 |

For me it's the apps. Music, video and design stuff. Basically things I do on a laptop that's handy to have on a phone. Android is pure shite for it

Outside of that though android totally fine for phone, text, pics and web which is what I use it for

0 |

munchingmonster • 11 hours, 2 minutes ago
The main thing for me is the text smoothing and contrast.

really? the screen on my note8 is incredible.. you try watching an HDR netflix episode on a note8 against any iphone (bar the 10) which i would imagine would be just as good, the difference is absolutely startling

0 |

Does it make a difference? Can hardly appreciate a movie on a screen that tiny. I usually watch docs and stuff and keep proper movies for big screen. Is it really a deal breaker?

Saying that I'm due an upgrade and screen quality will help my decision. But in reality I don't really care for my everyday use.

Not sure what phone I'm going for. That pixel 2 decent then from those above who got one?

0 |

Don’t get iPhone 8 or 10. iPhone 7 is still good.

0 |

its the colours m8, they pop on the note8 OLED, there's simply no comparison with the iphone 7 or 8 LCD screen

0 |

iPhone 7 is a year old phone. Considering iPhone's usually only manage around 2 years before they start slowing down due to Apple's proven software based planned obsolescence, you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot/taking a bit of a risk, IMO. How much are iPhone 7's new still? £500?

0 |

I give up on Apple when in order to make your phone do what you want you had to jailbreak it, for instance MAME on an iPad.. it's so much simpler using android and having that facility baked into it and this coming from a one time apple fanboy

0 |

iPhone 8 is faster, has a glass back and wireless
Charging. Iphone ten is an expensive prototype. Apple is going to update iOS to get rid of that cpu throttling and offering half price batteries if you need one this year.

0 |

No way Apple are going to fully get rid of their planned obsolescence in iPhones. It's been the main money maker for them for a good while and if they were to get rid of it, they're sales/revenue would take a massive hit ( www.statista.com/stati... ).

I dont think it's even fully to do with the batteries tbh, I think that's just how they tried to sugar coat it. It might have been partially to do with it, but I think Apple bake in new code to the updated iOS's to generally cause slow down in numerous ways. I've never had an Android phone that gets hit by anywhere near the same slowdown in such a short period of time (a few month period around when the phone is 2 years old, almost like clockwork). It's pretty obvious tbf, and most iPhone owners will totally agree with that being the case.

0 |

Takki. They said they were. In a press release.

0 |

lol oh aye, of course Apple always tell the truth!

They must think/know their customers are total mongs... this is from the second paragraph of their statement in regards them getting caught out actually slowing down their phones once they hit a certain age...

"First and foremost, we have never — and would never — do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience to drive customer upgrades. Our goal has always been to create products that our customers love, and making iPhones last as long as possible is an important part of that." -
www.apple.com/iphone-b...

2ND PARAGRAPH!

0 |

Takki calling munchingmonster a mong. Hot on the heels of muzak1 saying he ignores munchingmonster's posts.

Tough few days for you m8.

1 |

Not just MM... all Apple customers are mongs, TJ lol

0 |

Tough few days? Its been a terrible decade for you lad. There isnt even a few days where things went well for you.

0 |

No need to be so hostile munchingmonster, I'm not the one attacking you. You have my sympathies at this difficult time.

Stay strong.

1 |

It's only a phone lads. No need for the hostility, name calling and outrage

So, I'm due upgrade in April. Anything new out around that time worth keeping an eye on?

1 |

Phone are releasing so often these days every month there's something else to consider... a new release, a higher grade phone that's dropped into a budget range due to other new releases etc. Probably best to wait until nearer the time. I've been loving the OnePlus 5 though. Solid as fuck and crazy fast.

0 |

Sold is a selling point for. Also not loads of tweaking to make it work. A solid and reliable phone.

My huwaei has been sound and was good value.

0 |

Solid is a selling point for me

Even :)

0 |

My sister got the Moto G5 Plus recently. Great phone for 200 noops.

0 |

aye but is the text on it smooth?

2 |

Takki, i'm not arguing about their intentions. They came clean about throttling the CPU. They said it was to save battery (rather than forcing people to upgrade). Apparently they are pushing update that will let you see the health of the battery. Also, pushing upgrade to remove the throttling. I didnt read the press release, just a few tech articles. I had issue with you saying they werent doing something to remove the throttling. "No way Apple are going to fully get rid of their planned obsolescence in iPhones"

0 |

lemac, i got it wrong, its called "font smoothing". Its just one of the many pretty things that apple do. Its gourgeous.

I dont know why it looks better, I was just trying to put my finger on why it is. Androids have a larger DPI and the samsung screen is really good. I just immediately noticed the fonts looks worse on the android.

0 |

pity their spell checker is atrocious... ;-)

0 |

Nahh that’s just ne

0 |

See

0 |

Think I’m goin sim only and stick with the SE for a year, contracts r ridiculous at the minute and if I c a handset I like I’ll just buy it cash.

0 |

Straight ballin

0 |

Anyone got a recommendation for a screen protector for a S8? Bought a TPO cover off Fleabay which was a bollocks to fit, bubbles everywhere, balls.

0 |