Choose a discussion

New mobile phone

£240 to spend on a new phone. Would push to £275, as that is the price of the Nexus 5, which is currently my top option.

Just wondering what else folks can recommend? What Windows phones would fall into that price range?

0 |

This is also an option... oneplus.net/uk/one

0 |

I don't know if this has any bearing on nexus 5, but i have the nexus 7 tablet I have is not a nippy as I'd like. I have never owned an android device that I liked.

0 |

Lumia 1020 refurbished probably around the 300 mark. Have had it for a few weeks and been very impressed. A lot slicker than Android imo

0 |

Gonna maybe get that one plus one next myself

0 |

Gf got the htc one and it seems decent

0 |

One Plus One isn't out yet, and once it is, it's invite only, so might be tricky to get hold of. Melt.

What sort of money is that though, Muzka?

0 |

That One Plus One is ridic. I've had laptops with less spec.

0 |

Not sure takki on contract. I know it came down because the one m8 came out

0 |

There's millions of people trying to get them, and they're only releasing them in small batches.

0 |

OnePlus One, that is.

0 |

i got the HTC 1 a few months back and would really recommend it

0 |

My nexus 5 is great. Due an upgrade a month ago and maybe move to HTC one m8 although been undecided.

0 |

For that price in Windows Phones you could get (in descending order of 'want'):

Lumia 925, 1320, 625, 620, 520.

That ranges from 250 quid at the top end, to 60 quid at the bottom: www.nokia.com/gb-en/ph...

Looks like you could also get an HTC 8X for around 200 quid, though I prefer the Nokias myself.

0 |

Dont see the point paying for phones when you can get one free on contract, paying £210 odd for a phone, is basically 7 months on a £30 a month contract, with minutes/ text/ internet, for the price you'd pay for a phone, to me a contract phone is the only way to look at things,,

0 |

Paying up front for a phone will save you money for sure. PAYG deals on a sim free phone will save you possibly hundreds over the lifetime of a contract. Some can't afford the up front costs though.

0 |

my phone at the min is a £10 samsung...haven't missed the smart phone at all after losing my htc one a couple of months back. defo going for one of those deals once my VF contract is up next month Andy...save me money to waste on footy bets

0 |

How much do you reckon you pay on pay as you go a month andyw?

0 |

I don't but I know people on giffgaff contracts that are paying maybe 15/20 per month compared to a contract of 30/40. The savings are there for sure. Considering moving to PAYG myself in near future. That's why I've been undecided on phone tbf.

1 |

giffgaff.com/goodybag

0 |

Yeah but theyre paying say something like £120- £240 on a phone, that's costing an extra £10- £20 a month on a years contract anyhow and the phone from the contract i'lll probably be worth more second hand,,

0 |

Say a contract of 40 per month over 24 months = 960 minimum staying within the contract which is unlikely.

20 per month over 24 months and allowing 300 for the phone you still only pay 780.

0 |

Yeah but on the contract you can get a £500- £650 phone for free, least i think the lg flex is around £650,,

0 |

Take a galaxy s5 latest phone sim free 560 from tesco or car phone warehouse. 15 per month giffgaff sim card. Works out at 920 over 24 months. Smaller margins but still saving and also you don't need to pay up the full amount if you want to change at any time you can without paying out a contract. Definite advantages

0 |

For me i dont really 'go over' the amount i pay on contract which is why it suits me, think loads of people use more payg than they think, as it only seems the odd tenner every now and again,,

0 |

Horses for courses for sure

0 |

When u can pick up a nexus or that one plus for under 270 its defo worth it

0 |

Depends you'd probably get £200 for one of the really good phones after a year or so's use,,

0 |

toad letting the mask slip here tonight, sentences very well structured, spelling and grammar ok

And tbh i agree with him, £24 monthly for 02 refresh contract, you can set limits so you don't go over

I was paying £15 per month on PAYG anyway so if you take that extra £9*24 months, i'm basically paying £216 for a Lumia 1020

It's like paying up over 24 months interest free, and if I want an upgrade I can pay off the phone side of the contract without paying the total airtime balance

0 |

LG G2 for £285.

Or the Nexus 5 if you can't handle the fact that the G2's successor is about to come out.

0 |

Aye, not like him at all.

0 |

oh yeah... the G2. It's got a big battery too, doesn't it? It could be dropping in price too, if the new one comes out soon.

0 |

a bit cheaper, moto g is great. 141pound www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-...

0 |

Who forgot to log out of the toad login

0 |

That moto g is gonna be my saviour. ..its the ine thing that has convinced my daughter...after months of discussion...that her new phone does NOT need to be an iphone

0 |

Moto g meant to be the best budget phone out there. Constantly beating phones 2 or 3 times the price in reviews

0 |

I just wish android would have more apps I use. I ditched my ipad for the nexus 7 but I rarely use it now as there's hardly any apps compared to ios. Great value bit of kit and worth the money but if I measure cost against usage the ipad was better value.

Really want to get an android phone next and tbh apps aren't as important in it as they are in a tablet to me but hopefully there's a few to help swing my decision. Windows phones while being nice have no apps really for me so android defo looking most likely

0 |

The keep getting tempted to buy a nexus...just for slightly better mobile entertainment options than the phone...but honestly I would use it for so little it would be a wastenof money. .

Unless dabs get a run of warranty repairs on offer again

0 |

www.aliexpress.com/ite... counterfeit s5 anyone?

0 |

moto g, being great value and all, would be a step down from the Nexus 4 though.

folks working on getting iOS apps working on Android, Muzka. + a lot of developers are starting to take Android more seriously.

0 |

It's improving a lot takki

0 |

I thought Android overtook Apple in 2012 for sheer volume of Apps, surely you can't be struggling for Apps on Android.

Even at that, Windows Phone has an app for everything you need

0 |

Android's problem is quality not quantity. iOS is still the first port of call for cool new stuff.

0 |

Muzak, iOS has far superior music apps compared to Android. That's the only difference in the apps that I care about, think Muzka is the same. Most general apps are as good, if not better, on Android.

Agree that sometimes multi platform apps look the best on iOS, but I've found that most of the apps I used on my iPhone were available on Android and were basically the same in function, if not more functional on Android, but occasionally just didn't like quite as polished.

0 |

www.hotukdeals.com/dea...

0 |

I have the Moto x. Main factor for me was the battery life. I get over a days worth of normal use. Roughly 30 odd hours before charging. It has a nice touchless control too and active notifications. Some small features that are unique to the handset but are really nice. Snappy and quick also. The screen isnt as good as others but still looks clear and HD.

0 |

Nexus 5 (red)

0 |

Narrowed it down to the Nexus 5 and LG G2, I think. Love stock Android, but wondering if many folks have used the G2? Cob?

0 |

I avoid LG phones as a bottom line. Bad experiences in the past with build quality and just being shitty.

0 |

In saying that the Nexus 5 build quality is pretty damn good and LG did manufacture the hardware lol.

0 |

Yeah, + the G2 has got great reviews and hasn't seem to have been affected by any major hardware issues or anything. I just wish it had stock Android on it.

0 |