Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

What if We’ve Completely Misunderstood Our Place in the Universe?

A Harvard astronomer has a provocative hunch about what happened after the Big Bang

"Our universe is about 13 billion years old, and for roughly 3.5 billion of those years, life has been wriggling all over our planet. But what was going on in the universe before that time? It’s possible that there was a period shortly after the Big Bang when the entire universe was teeming with life. Harvard astronomer Avi Loeb calls this period the “habitable epoch,” and he believes that its existence changes how humans should understand our place in the cosmos."

Read more...

www.slate.com/articles...

0 |

Last nights was an amber alert, but I do remember a red alert a couple of years back and there were shit loads of sightings, so it could well have been, RJ.

Look at this and you can get alerts in a variety of ways - aurorawatch.lancs.ac.u...

0 |

remember just sitting out back watching it thinking this is pretty cool, but it was more a green haze than the swirly multi-coloured patterns normally associated with it

0 |

Painted Stone: Asteroids in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

Over 100,000 asteroids and their colors, as seen by a single remarkable survey telescope.

This animation shows the orbital motions of over 100,000 of the asteroids observed by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS), with colors illustrating the compositional diversity measured by the SDSS five-color camera. The relative sizes of each asteroid are also illustrated.

All main-belt asteroids and Trojan asteroids with orbits known to high precision are shown. The animation is rendered with a timestep of 3 days.

The compositional gradient of the asteroid belt is clearly visible, with green Vesta-family members in the inner belt fading through the blue C-class asteroids in the outer belt, and the deep red Trojan swarms beyond that.

Occasional diagonal slashes that appear in the animation are the SDSS survey beams; these appear because the animation is rendered at near the survey epoch.

The average orbital distances of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and Jupiter are illustrated with rings.

0 |

Anyone see that thing channel 4 are doing some time this month? A live lap of the earth from outter space and loads of stuff on Astronauts etc. Looks TOTES AMAZEBALLS.

0 |

Aye, saw the ads, looks like it could be good, though haven't seen any dates... www.channel4.com/info/...

0 |

cience.time.com/2014/0...

0 |

This is pretty big news...

Physicists have found a long-predicted twist in light from the Big Bang that represents the first image of ripples in the universe called gravitational waves, researchers announced today. The finding is direct proof of the theory of inflation, the idea that the universe expanded extremely quickly in the first fraction of a second after it was born. What’s more, the signal is coming through much more strongly than expected, ruling out a large class of inflation models and potentially pointing the way toward new theories of physics, experts say.

www.scientificamerican...

0 |

Is it though. Theyve discovered a new phenomenon and we're supposed to think thats direct evidence of a big bang Whats to say these ripples arent evidence of a supernova bigger than any super novas we havent seen. Im going to say pressure to extend funding have them publishing something. I cant believe BBC are getting all excited about this, when they havent even done peer reviews yet. Rookie science mistake. I blame BBC expert physicist, Kevin Fong, the Medical Doctor.

0 |

What's BBC been doing about it?

0 |

Interesting shiz, was watching some panel discussion the other day about inflationary models (can't mind the title, the host was in a wheelchair). Still my money's on the big picture being some sort of sensory simulation

Suppose inflation makes sense within that, as a dramatic first jolt would be how the game/life thing starts to render out ... like that big first jolt when you power up the laptop

0 |

Like pressing play on the Comador 64 cassette deck

0 |

I read it on their website first. I guess when the BBC covers it, you expect it to be almost conclusive.

0 |

"After years of searching, planetary scientists think they may finally have spotted waves rippling on the seas of Titan, Saturn’s largest moon. If confirmed, this would be the first discovery of ocean waves beyond Earth."

www.nature.com/news/fi...

0 |

"Assistant Professor Chao-Lin Kuo surprises Professor Andrei Linde with evidence that supports cosmic inflation theory. The discovery, made by Kuo and his colleagues at the BICEP2 experiment, represents the first images of gravitational waves, or ripples in space-time. These waves have been described as the "first tremors of the Big Bang."

0 |

That's pretty crazy about Titan... Of all the planets out there sporting crazy landscapes and proper weird shit were spending a fucking fortune going to the most boring planet in our solar system

0 |

If you mean Mars, then not really due to its history. Huge amounts to learn about its past from the way it is now, even if it does appear a bit boring to the naked eye. It's also the most accessible, so starting off with it is logical. Mars still has secrets to give up.

0 |

if you actually send people to mars though... that's next level stuff.

0 |

I know why we're going to mars and logistically its the best choice, can't be landing billion dolla instruments on badly surveyed planets only to have it sink on some alien bog marsh but let's face it, if there was life on mars of which in fairly certain there was at one point, it was so long ago that virtually all traces of it would've eroded away in thon harsh landscape so all were stuck with is a rocky fairly barren planet in which to take pictures off where instead we could be rocking out on Titan, Venus, Europa or any number of far more interesting planets/moons going oooo and ahhhh at the truly alien landscape instead of looking at the rather bleak Nevada like landscape of mars... Just sayin leek.

As for sending people to mars, what's the point other than its Mars? I'd rather the money and resources are put to checking out Titan tbh

0 |

Plenty of water on Mars. Plenty of organisms that live here on earth in equally as harsh environments. There is a small chance there could still be life on Mars, how easy it is to find is another thing though.

0 |

There's no liquid water on mars and any life that we may find will more than likely be microbial, still pretty damn fucking amazing if we do find it though and whilst the whole mars mission is a worthwhile one I just wouldn't mind some truly outstanding hi Rez close up shots of other planet surfaces

0 |

No liquid water? www.nasa.gov/mission_p...

0 |

Could also be large amounts of water way below the surface... m.bbc.co.uk/news/scien...

0 |

i.imgur.com/LGwjxnb.jpg

0 |

^^^ LROC Northern Polar Mosaic from shats link above... lroc.sese.asu.edu/gigapan

0 |

Fly through of the GAMA Galaxy Catalogue

The Galaxy and Mass Assembly catalogue is a detailed map of the Universe showing where galaxies are in 3D. This simulated flythrough shows the real positions and images of the galaxies that have been mapped so far. Distances are to scale, but the galaxy images have been enlarged for your viewing pleasure.

0 |

Whoops! www.thedailybeast.com/...

0 |

A Realistic Video of What You'd See Flying Through Deep Space

io9.com/a-realistic-lo...

0 |

New dwarf planet hints at giant world far beyond Pluto

www.newscientist.com/a...

0 |

Gravitational waves explained with a towel and apple

0 |

Space-time ripples hint at physics beyond the big bang

0 |

Multiverse gets real with glimpse of big bang ripples

0 |

A multiverse makes sense Imo, a single universe coming from nothing skews too much toward "God diddit" territory for my liking...

0 |

"A multiverse makes sense Imo, a single universe coming from nothing skews too much toward "God diddit" territory for my liking..."

Doesn't really address the point. Whether it was one Universe created or multiple - who created it and why? To me, an interlapping dimensional relationship can only further point to some degree of intelligent design

Explain your original point further please, RJ

0 |

For all matter in the universe including time itself to somehow have exploded into existence from a singularity some would say points to proof of God.

Besides Its pretty incredible to think the sheer vastness of space at one point in time was the size of an atom before going kaboom and going through inflation to the size the thing is now so any theory that moves away from the one universe one big bang gets my vote, besides is it not more plausible to think of an infinite number of universes of various sizes expanding and contracting under influences we have yet to discover?

0 |

Not clear to me your rationale for our single Universe being too close to "God did it", but a more complex versioned multiverse wouldn't be?

0 |

A single universe exploding from nothing to everything we see leads to questions of what was there before the big bang, what caused the big bang, why did the big bang go off at that particular time and how in the holy fuck did all this come from a single point in space and time, those are answers science is going to have a hard time explaining one would imagine whereas an all powerful super sky daddy with whom time means nothing decides hes bored and wants to create some playthings so click his fingers and boom.. we have us isn't really any more outlandish a claim as everything just popped into existence because science.. Obviously there is a reason but its hard to imagine everything came from nothing whereas our universe being 1 in a multitude of universes is a more plausible explanation.. you feel me?

0 |

Analogy you're saying here is it's no problem to build a Lego City, but not realistic to develop a single Lego block

Doesn't make much sense

0 |

so your going for the eternal model of perpetuationg multiverse, RJ ( though I feel the answer to this should belong in another thread, tbf)

0 |

*perpetuating

0 |

Pavlov's rigidly categorised dog

You love it. Wee confined pockets of everything

Grey is gay etc

0 |

I prefer the cyclical theory in that were simply existing in one period of the universe's infinite life span and that were merely one of an infinite number of universes all going through a similar process but at differing stages, our observable universe is so unimaginably vast that it's perfectly plausible that it be part of a far greater construct

0 |

We can go in circles about the "how" - but doesn't really get to the bottom of things. Bigger fish here is "why?"

Why was the multiverse construct created?

Your buds the Gnostic's had a quare go at that one

0 |

there is no "why" to be answered, it has always been

0 |

actually blurt a divsersity of threads on disparate topics leads to a bright and colourful community of idea weher threads can cross polinate one another and evolve.
You just want to smear everyhting together rehashing the same stuff over and over agian in every thread making you the 'kev' (safety wink, kev) of science threads. no evolution of thoughts or ideas just a gray bland repetition.lol.

0 |

"there is no "why" to be answered, it has always been"

Nonsense RJ, sure you just tried to answer it there now with “there is none”

Every ‘how’ has a ‘why’ - they are intrinsically linked

In trying to understand the ‘how’, you inevitably encounter the ‘why’. E.g. you don’t understand how a bridge works, without understanding why it works e.g the supports stop it from buckling in the middle (or however it functions, exactly)

Constructs coding themselves and existing without purpose … now that’s crazy talk

0 |

Anyway combining cool space shit with cool science shit and a dash of mutagenic ionising radiation gives us this:

0 |

inside every spirtualist is a wee creationist trying to escape

0 |

Nah pavlov - in reality it involves you scooting about trying to funnel people. Disrupting the flow of craic and spontaneity, as you try to direct things into your little compavments
Draw up some guidelines there for what is ‘cool’ enough to put on the thread (even though it’s RJ’s?)

0 |

clearly the irony of what i was suggested went over your wee raged out head. Best take a time out and splash on a dash more faux zen.

0 |