Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

Not sure if I posted this before, but it's an amazing video. When you actually think about what it is you're looking at I'm such detail, it really is kind blowing.

0 |

Five planets align in spectacular celestial show

Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are visible together in the night sky for the first time since 2005

www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...

0 |

0 |

doh, ffs

0 |

www.rte.ie/news/2016/0...

0 |

I only just found out that all planets actually align the whole time. They are all on the same plain. I can't believe I didn't know this. So this alignment thing is just them being closer together. Also the sun is in the middle. ;-)

0 |

I thought they all had random orbits, and now realizing early solar system looked like a larger Saturn. I'm I the only one who didn't know this??!

0 |

0 |

Possibly another planet in our solar system beyond Pluto. Planet 9

0 |

seen a few blogs posting about Niburu.. should read some of the conspiracy theories on it.. fucking moonbeams

0 |

Hoping to see the Northern Lights over the next week or so as I'll be up north in Sweden. Cant wait!

0 |

Could you live on planet nine? www.wired.com/2016/01/...

0 |

0 |

0 |

1215MW

0 |

0 |

0 |

0 |

you mean, mushroom spores could be an alien-lifeform?

0 |

hang on. not on a monday

0 |

China Releases True Color HD Photos Of The Moon

echcrunch.com/2016/01/...

0 |

Beaut - glittering.blue

(try zooming in and out with Ctrl + mouse wheel)

0 |

Can't remember if I've posted about this or not, but anyway...

Is this giant supernova a new type of cosmic object?

"Earlier this month, the biggest explosion ever recorded was dubbed a ‘superluminous supernova’. Now its strange behaviour is forcing astronomers to reconsider what it might be, Belinda Smith reports."

cosmosmagazine.com/spa...

0 |

Good info on Nibiru, I mean Planet X

www.sciencemag.org/new...

Also. Check out this podcast on all the mad theories.

www.thoseconspiracyguy...

Shit like it is in the Bible as well...I think they left that out of R.E. in school though

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...

0 |

Mysterious Martian "Cauliflower" May Be the Latest Hint of Alien Life

Unusual silica formations spotted by a NASA rover look a lot like structures formed by microbes around geysers on Earth

The hunt for signs of life on Mars has been on for decades, and so far scientists have found only barren dirt and rocks. Now a pair of astronomers thinks that strangely shaped minerals inside a Martian crater could be the clue everyone has been waiting for.

Read more: www.smithsonianmag.com...

0 |

0 |

More rumours that gravitational waves have been detected for the first time. Talk of a five sigma probability. Possible announcement of 11th Feb.

0 |

That's big someones winning the Nobel for that one

0 |

Juno spacecraft on track for Jupiter after thruster-burn

"NASA declares trajectory correction a success and all set for probe of the Solar System's biggest planet on 4 July."

cosmosmagazine.com/spa...

0 |

It's mental, RJ. They're measuring fluctuations around a billionth of the width of an atom. Mind boggling.

0 |

JunoCam should get some great high-res close up's of Jupiter's clouds - www.nasa.gov/feature/j...

0 |

www.foxnews.com/opinio...

0 |

0 |

Great podcast going over the stuff to look forward to over the next while in Space exploration - www.theguardian.com/sc...

0 |

Also, check out these class 'Space Tourism' posters from NASA. Available to download in hi res so you can get them printed, if you want.

Visions of the Future

"Imagination is our window into the future. At NASA/JPL we strive to be bold in advancing the edge of possibility so that someday, with the help of new generations of innovators and explorers, these visions of the future can become a reality."

www.jpl.nasa.gov/visio...

1 |

0 |

0 |

0 |

Dunno if this has been posted. Printable futuristic NASA posters

www.jpl.nasa.gov/visio...

0 |

#3 is optimistic

0 |

Sorry takki

0 |

1st one looks pretty cool

0 |

"Quiet" Galaxy Has A Black Hole At Its Center 21 BILLION Times The Mass Of Our Sun

NGC 4889 hosts one of the largest supermassive black holes we have ever observed. It has a mass 21 billion times that of the Sun and its event horizon has a diameter of 130 billion kilometers (80 billion miles), about 15 times the diameter of Neptune’s orbit. A new photo of NGC 4889 was released by Hubble last week.

By comparison, Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way, is 4 million solar masses, and although it’s the most massive object in our galaxy, it is dwarfed in comparison to what’s inside NGC 4889.

www.iflscience.com/hub...

0 |

0 |

NASA moves ahead with its next space telescope

With NASA’s huge James Webb Space Telescope coming together and due for launch in 2018, the agency has announced its next major astrophysics project: another telescope known as the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST). With a field of view more like a searchlight compared with Webb’s laser beam, WFIRST will aim to better understand the mysterious dark matter that holds galaxies together and dark energy that is speeding the expansion of the universe. In addition, it will be equipped to directly image planets around other stars.

Read more: www.sciencemag.org/new...

0 |

joshworth.com/dev/pixe...

1 |

Five-dimensional black hole could ‘break’ general relativity

cienceblog.com/482983/...

0 |

NASA releases strange 'music' heard by 1969 astronauts

NASA has made public a recording of strange "music" that astronauts reported hearing in 1969 while on the far side of the Moon, out of radio contact with the Earth.

The story behind these unusual whistling noises was showcased Sunday night in a show on the cable channel Discovery, as part of a series called "NASA's Unexplained Files."

m.phys.org/news/2016-0...

0 |

Returning Home From Life In Space

0 |

Here's How We Could Reach Mars In Just 30 Minutes

Faster forms of spacecraft propulsion have been a dream for decades, but now one researcher thinks he has a solid idea. Known as directed energy propulsion, it would involve firing a laser at a tiny spacecraft to speed it up to a significant fraction of the speed of light, potentially allowing for missions to Mars in less than an hour, rather than the months it takes at the moment.

In a paper titled A Roadmap to Interstellar Flight, submitted to the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society (JBIS) in April 2015, Lubin explained the idea further. He described how you could use a wafer-thin spacecraft with a meter-sized (3.2-foot) laser sail, which he calls DE-STAR (Directed Energy System for Targeting of Asteroids and ExplorRation). A powerful laser in Earth orbit, in the tens of gigawatts, would then be targeted at the sail, to accelerate it in the frictionless vacuum of space.

“As an example, on the eventual upper end, a full scale DE-STAR 4 (50-70 GW) will propel a wafer scale spacecraft with a one meter laser sail to about 26 percent the speed of light in about 10 minutes, reach Mars (1 AU [astronomical unit, the Earth-Sun distance]) in 30 minutes, pass Voyager 1 in less than 3 days, pass 1,000 AU in 12 days and reach Alpha Centauri in about 15 years,” Lubin wrote.

Read more: www.iflscience.com/spa...

1 |