Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

0 |

What a Comet Looks Like … From 9 Meters Away!

The European Space Agency has just released some fantastic close-up images taken by the Philae lander of the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. This release came out along with a passel of scientific papers (in Science magazine behind a paywall; here’s a summary) about results from the Rosetta probe’s lander, too.

www.slate.com/blogs/ba...

0 |

lets try and keep the space shit in here folks... right thats youse all told off, now sign up here if you want your name sent to mars by Nasa mars.nasa.gov/particip...

0 |

Nah, more of a snickers man meself

0 |

0 |

0 |

0 |

^^ "Just before dawn today, the US Navy launched a new communications satellite from Cape Canaveral, carried into orbit by an Atlas V rocket—and an onlooker caught it all in this stunning video.

According to United Launch Alliance, the company that makes the Atlas V, the optimal viewing conditions were caused by sunlight hitting the rocket’s trail at just the right angle to highlight the plume and create this amazing display. (Skip to about 2:20 if you’re short on time.) Those who witnessed the event could follow the rocket’s path for so long that it eventually appeared to be falling, instead of rising, causing the videographer and his wife some alarm. Despite their conviction that something was wrong, however, the launch was a success."

0 |

Fuck, this is class...

Hubble's Star Explosion Video is the Time-Lapse to End All Time-Lapses

"I never thought that I was going to see something like this: A video of a star bursting in space, lighting the intergalactic dust around it at the speed of light. One thing to be noted here is that. this is not a computer recreation. It's a genuine time-lapse video taken over four years by the Hubble and researchers don't know its cause yet. “The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has been seeing the V838 Mon light echo since 2002. Each new reflection of the light echo discloses a new and distinctive "thin-section" through the interstellar dust nearby the star. This video transforms images of the light echo from the Hubble captured at numerous times between 2002 and 2006. The several spirals and eddies in the interstellar dust are mostly visible. Perhaps they have been formed by the effects of magnetic fields in the space between the stars.”

www.physics-astronomy....

1 |

graphics.wsj.com/from-...

1 |

0 |

www.iflscience.com/spa...

0 |

CONFIRMED: ENCELADUS HAS A GLOBAL OCEAN

www.popsci.com/confirm...

1 |

Amazing pics of Pluto. To think, only a few months ago the best pics we had of Pluto were small, burry messes... now this...

www.nasa.gov/feature/p...

1 |

This is really, really class...

Starting With the Earth as a Marble, This Is the First Timelapse of the Solar System to Scale

0 |

The Oort Cloud

0 |

Gemini supernova remnant.
i.imgur.com/Z9JuTdO.jpg

0 |

The Hubble Deep Field, the famous picture containing nearly 10,000 galaxies... was just 2.4 arcminutes of the sky. A tenth the diameter of the Moon, and just one three millionths of the sky. The Hubble would require a million years to observe the rest of the sky in such detail.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

0 |

0 |

Cool vid takk, love all the solar system universe scale videos really encapsulates how very very very small we are in such a massive space and unless we find a way round the physics we ain't ever leaving our solar system

0 |

Did you check out that 4K playlist on the new TV?

0 |

No watched it on my phone have already went through a ton of youtube stuff which for being youtube is outstanding quality have yet to check out vimeos collection. The space stuff looks real good due to the inky blacks and pin sharp stars was doing g her head in last night with "will you stop watching bloody stars and animals and stick a movie on"

0 |

HUGE, high detail image of Pluto - www.nasa.gov/sites/def...

1 |

Lunar Eclipse on Sunday night lawds www.timeanddate.com/ec...

0 |

Not just a lunar eclipse, a supermoon eclipse www.timeanddate.com/ec...

1 |

www.iflscience.com/hub...

0 |

Endlessy fascinating those shock waves from a nova, the brain simply can't comprehend the enormity of it but it sure as shit can appreciate the beauty of the most destructive thing in the universe

0 |

NASA Will Announce A Major Mars Discovery On Monday

www.iflscience.com/spa...

0 |

Tbf, supernovae are one of the most creative things in the universe. Without them, we'd not have any heavier elements beyond iron.

0 |

"While this latest event won’t be announcing life on Mars"

Ffs when are these nasa press conferences actually gonna announce something that will shake up the world

0 |

0 |

Everyone staying up for this super blood moon? Full Eclipse begins about 2.10

0 |

0 |

Got that wrong, partial started at 2.07. Full eclipse starts at 3.11

0 |

Unbelievably clear view from my back door. Looks like a christmas tree bauble. Beautiful.

0 |

It's very dark and not as big as I was expecting

0 |

i'm glad i didn't bother setting the alarm for this

0 |

Cool article on how we could live floating in the clouds of Venus... www.science20.com/robe...

0 |

NASA Mars Annoucement at 4.30pm today.
www.theguardian.com/sc...

0 |

apparently its gonna be about some sort of rock formation and not the discovery of the tip of a buried pyramid.. GO NASA and their incredibly science specific press conferences

0 |

Evidence of flowing water. NASA really haven't mastered the art of the press conference. Seems they've told just about any news portal the outcome of the findings before their own presser started.

0 |

i wonder if yer man from river monsters is deep in talks with nasa about his next show

0 |

I feel this will be the one that got away.

0 |

doesn't the complete lack of a magnetic shield mean that Mars gets bombarded with pretty dangerous radiation meaning life would be getting it tough so to speak

0 |

even if it is swimming around in salty pools

0 |

unless it has evolved to survive in high radiation environments?

0 |

it's life but not as we know it.

0 |

Also, if you go down under the surface a few metres the solar radiation doesn't really penetrate.

0 |

From wiki:

Tardigrades can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water (100 °C), pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for more than 10 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.

Reckon there could easily be life on Mars.

hhhh

0 |

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

0 |