Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

the Space Shuttle, docking with the ISS, silhouetted by the Sun i.imgur.com/69in3.jpg

0 |

View of Ireland from space i.imgur.com/tvI7L.jpg

0 |

"This animation shows the 2299 high-quality (multiple transits), non-circumbinary transiting planet candidates found by NASA's Kepler mission so far. These candidates were detected around 1770 unique stars, but are animated in orbit around a single star. They are drawn to scale with accurate radii (in r / r* ), orbital periods, and orbital distances (in d / r*). They range in size from 1/3 to 84 times the radius of Earth. Colors represent an estimate of equilibrium temperature, ranging from 4,586 C at the hottest to -110 C at the coldest - red indicates warmest, and blue / indigo indicates coldest candidates."

0 |

thats a big ass telecope, gonna be some serious images from that thing

[The James Webb Space Telescope] has, in many ways, 100 times the capabilities that the Hubble Space Telescope does. We're actually going to be able to see the first stars forming, the first galaxies forming after the Big Bang. We're also going to be able to — we think — directly image planets orbiting other stars.

io9.com/5936523/these-...

0 |

I'm so pumped for it being launched, just hope they do get it up for 2018, they keep putting the date back. I don't wanna keel over before it finally gets going.

0 |

Yeah, I am literally creaming myself over what the JWST will be able to do if all goes well... it'll be so powerful, it will be able to analyze the light going through the atmospheres of exoplanets and see if they have chemicals which constitute life on that planet.

I really do think it may find strong evidence of life elsewhere in the Universe.

Although, just like with Curiosity, I will no doubt be bricking it when it come to launch and setup of it. So much that has to go absolutely perfect or that's it. There's no repairing the JWST like they did with Hubble.

0 |

the launch should be a breeze compared to getting curiosity onto Mars tbf but yeah Takki the very fact that this thing can directly analyse & image exoplanets is fucking huge, look at the sort of pictures hubble was able to take especially my fav the deep field one ->http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/56533main_MM_image_feature_142_jwfull.jpg i mean look at that ffs and thats just 1 tiny spec of space for christs sakes, and this thing is many times more powerful

0 |

www.nasa.gov/images/co...

0 |

aye, but no launch is ever guaranteed, but the telescope is such a complex machine, the stresses, vibrations, changes in temps, pressures, etc could all cause problems... then there's the 'unpacking' once it gets into space.. Curiosity was made to be super tough, JWST is made to be super sensitive.

0 |

I love that pic... scary to think what the next step is.

0 |

nice...

io9.com/5938006/this-i...

0 |

that was breathtaking. i must have yawned a good 3 times watching it.

0 |

interesting horizon... probably not for you aLegend, just to save your fingers typing out a bored comment
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/...

0 |

Some new awesome shots of mars www.dailymail.co.uk/sc...

0 |

Will.i.am becomes the first artist to have his music played on the surface of mars...who the fuck thought that would be a good idea

www.independent.co.uk/...

0 |

Shoulda been the greatest rock band there ever was ffs... QUEEN

0 |

They're probably hoping to attract some attention from the younger generations... which I think is fair enough. However if some super intelligent alien race is passing and picks it up, we're probably going to get exterminated.

Gonna watch that Horizon tonight pav!

0 |

those new Mars pics are class.

0 |

i think horizons in general are great pavlov. that 'breathtaking' digitally enhanced footage though is nothing but boring.

0 |

yeah sure its fuck all to look at it, but actually think about what it is your looking at and then it becomes "breathtaking"

0 |

Think about this everyone. Think about it.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/28/article-2194575-14B72868000005DC-944_964x642.jpg

0 |

maybe if had lazors and shit it'd be more cooler to y'all

0 |

The First Binary Star System With More than One Planet... io9.com/5938253/the-fi...

0 |

How soon will Voyager 1 leave the solar system?.. the general consensus among NASA scientists seems to be that the day when the first human-made object enters interstellar space is fast approaching. io9.com/5940596/how-so...

0 |

Stunning photos of a recent solar eruption.. check out the scale of the bloody thing in comparison to earth.. www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

0 |

links to download the image/video clips of that massive solar euruption
vs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a...

0 |

So huge. The amount of matter thrown off is just bonkers!

0 |

Hubble has spotted an ancient galaxy that shouldn’t exist
io9.com/5927315/hubble...

0 |

Incredible image
www.northcountrypublic...

0 |

Here we are now, all the lads on the deck of the Enterprise.
news.discovery.com/spa...

0 |

that image is stunning RJ. Have it as my lockscreen on my iPhone now... looks perfect - i99.photobucket.com/al...

0 |

can you imagine what that must look like up close, to see water geysers of that magnitude must be breathtaking

0 |

Such a photo!

apod.nasa.gov/apod/ima...

0 |

Wonder if he's doing a trout pout inside the helmet

0 |

It's insane RJ... flying through them in a little space shuttle... the huge Saturn to one side, with the rings sprawling out in front. Fuck.

0 |

Wish we could send out more probes to other planets to capture up close these sort of events, one of the reasons I can't wait for that kick ass new telescope that's goin up in the next few years, the images it'll be able to capture will be right out of the scifi books

0 |

JWST. Cant wait. Was so excited about Curiosity and it's proving to be absolutely brilliant already... high expectations for JWST. Really nervous about it though. So delicate.

0 |

FTL travel. in an old discussion on here about aliens i mentioned that it only seems impossible from our current technological stand point. "at those speeds matter would be ripped apart" they said. i used the analogy that 200 years ago someone in the UK talking in real time to someone in the US was impossible, the volumes required would be earth shattering. but still they laughed.

not that it's possible now or anything. i'm just getting in a pre-emptive told you so.

0 |

They say it could be powerful enough to actually analyse the makeup of atmosphere's on exoplanets using spectroscopy and that it may be able to image a black hole with reasonable clarity... possibly even imaging the event horizon.

0 |

You can't travel faster than light. Your mass would become infinite and you'd need an infinite power supply.

Warping space means you could travel huge distances be folding space or compressing it, meaning you don't actually move very far or fast, it's the space that moves around you, so no need to try and get to light speed or faster.

0 |

you go from one place to another quicker than light can get there. that's FTL travel.

0 |

FTL drives n stuff.

0 |

No, it isn't really lol. You could travel forwards at 10mph, but if 10 lightyears of space is folded in front of you, when it unfolds you'll be 10 lightyears further away. Although the light from the lights one your space ship will still get there before you as they will also travel across the folded space.

0 |

NASA has proper scientists looking at actual warp drive technology at this very moment, obviously it's all theoretical but still, conventional engines no matter how powerful would never do due to the vast space between planets let alone stars systems so we need warp drives or some other exotic means to travel faster than light without messing with the laws of physics

0 |

trav·el   
verb
to go from one place to another

0 |

NASA don't do Webster's Definitions, ja'erd?

0 |

stunning trailer for Timescapes featuring lots of time lapse shots imescapes.org/trailers... ...

"it’s also the first movie available to consumers at 4K resolution — 4096 x 2304 pixels! It’s 160GB, in super-duper-awesometastic-high-quality Cineform 4:2:2 format. You can also buy that one for £200 on an external USB drive2

fuck id love to see it like that

0 |

Yeah, have been following them since near the start. Probably the best time lapse there is out there.

Would love to see that SuperHD version on an IMAX or something.

0 |

www.stumbleupon.com/su...

Apollo 11 launch at 500 frames per second

0 |

500 FPS and the blast coming out of the engines is still super fast.

I love NASA.

0 |