Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

motherboard.vice.com/r...

0 |

Possible fatty acid detected on Mars

www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

0 |

0 |

Looks like an A-Team episode :)

0 |

1 |

motherboard.vice.com/e...

0 |

deadstate.org/listen-n...

0 |

Why astronauts get slapped in the face with a cross before going to space

www.theverge.com/2015/...

0 |

www.nytimes.com/2015/0...

0 |

0 |

medium.com/starts-with...

0 |

0 |

Astronomers build Earth-sized telescope to see Milky Way black hole

"Scientists across the globe are currently linking up telescopes across the globe to form the Event Horizon Telescope which will be the first instrument ever to take detailed pictures of a black hole."

www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...

2 |

wowzers!! imagine if it was like in the movie Event Horizon, that would suck

0 |

thats pretty damned cool tbf, some really interesting shit happenin space wise these days and in the near future

0 |

Hubble 25th anniversary image

imgsrc.hubblesite.org/...

0 |

From 2009, but don't recall seeing this... eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov...

0 |

NASA may have
accidentally created a warp field
mysteriousuniverse.org...

0 |

I saw that earlier, Jim. Pretty cool stuff if its true

nice wee EOS article on hubble
eos.org/features/hubbl...

0 |

“Don’t forget that the ship is not really moving at relativistic speeds: space is. Consequently, you could take a trip to Alpha Centauri in 2 days (or less with more power… who knows?), turn your ship around and observe the Earth as it was four years ago (as light has taken four years to get there – slow coach!). You could then observe Alpha Centauri as it is “now”, and how people on the Earth will see it in four years. With this type of technology, it would be possible to predict when locally past events are going to be observable from the point of view of the Earth (or any other point that the light from such events had not yet reached). For example, a ship 1 light-day out from the Earth in the right place could witness a supernova before the Earth does and then be able to return to the Earth almost instantly and tell astronomers about the incoming light wave so that they could prepare to observe it.”

0 |

I cant wait for the James Webb Space Telescope! I really hope all goes to plan.

Hubble telescope's successor should change how we see the universe
mashable.com/2015/04/2...

0 |

you and me both takk, look at the pictures Hubble has taken and compare it to the technology in this one, should be pretty fucking mind blowing

0 |

The 'next gen' telescopes which should be coming online over the next 5-10 years should be pretty amazing. Can't wait. JWST is so complicated and sensitive a design everything needs to be super tight in the building and deploy. Plus, the distance it'll be from earth means basically zero chance of repairs if there are any issues (like the Hubble telescope).

I'll be shitting it as it approaches launch day. Can you imagine what the engineers will be going through!

0 |

the squeaky bum time at launch for those guys would be too much for me to handle tbf, all that work time and effort and it comes down to a 5,4,3,2,1.. KAFUCKINGBOOM! or when they received the first shots of hubble back and realised it was fucked up.. even worse

0 |

i.kinja-img.com/gawker... stunning shot from hubble

0 |

I know. It's all really incredible when you think about it. Everything those guys do and go through. No working from a manual or looking at how it was done before... fucking mazin.

0 |

i pancake it ffs when plant deliveries arrive on site and huge bus sized chillers and ahu's have to be craned up on plinths/supports designed and laid out by me encase i've fucked it up and its small potatoes to the sort of thing these guys are doing so i can only imagine the worry

0 |

Some great little factoids about the planets... www.cozydark.com/post/...

(click on each one to make them bigger)

0 |

Another article on The Event Horizon Telescope...

A sharp view into black holes
www.astronomy.com/news...

0 |

0 |

A super-hot super-Earth spotted 40 light-years away

Scientists have found an extreme planet where the atmospheric temperature appears to swing wildly from 1,800 to 4,900 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of a two-year period.

Astronomers cannot yet say for certain what might be responsible for these drastic shifts in temperature, but in a new study, they suggest massive volcanoes on the planet's surface may be to blame.

www.latimes.com/scienc...

0 |

(this isn't the same as the possibility that the Universe is a simulation)

Is The Universe A Hologram? Holographic Principle Suggests 'Yes'

"The holographic principle positing that our universe may contain just two dimensions of length was first proposed in 1997, exciting theoretical physicists. What we perceive as a third dimension could in fact be two-dimensional events on the "horizon" of a two-dimensional image. This property of the universe would behave much like the holograms used on credit cards — in spite of being two-dimensional, they create an illusion of depth."

www.techtimes.com/arti...

0 |

0 |

0 |

www.nytimes.com/2015/0...

0 |

www.atlasobscura.com/a...

0 |

Hubble revisits the iconic "Pillars of Creation"
i.imgur.com/qPPIXcL.jpg

0 |

Same picture in visible light

imgsrc.hubblesite.org/...

0 |

Shite wan

"Images taken with the Spitzer Space Telescope uncovered a cloud of hot dust in the vicinity of the Pillars of Creation that one group interpreted to be a shock wave produced by a supernova. The appearance of the cloud suggests a supernova would have destroyed it 6000 years ago. Given the distance of roughly 7000 light years to the Pillars of Creation, this would mean that they have actually already been destroyed, but because of the finite speed of light, this destruction is not yet visible on Earth, but should be visible in about 1000 years."

0 |

Nice pics Jim. Never heard of these before

0 |

It's crazy. So much in the night sky could well be gone/changed. A lot of what the telescopes look at are 10's, 100's, 1000's lightyears away = years in the past. I sometimes wonder if any of the stars we can see with our eyes have actually gone supernova, and we're just waiting for the light to get to us (e.g. Betelgeuse).

0 |

About a month until we get the first ever close up pics of Pluto, too.

0 |

The Fermi Paradox

Part 1

Part 2

0 |

Eclipse from a plane
Http://i.imgur.com/YKp...

0 |

0 |

First visit to Pluto could rewrite the solar system's story

FOUR and a half light-hours from Earth, a small planet is about to get a small visitor. On 14 July, NASA's New Horizons craft will skim within just 13,000 kilometres of Pluto, entering a hitherto-unexplored zone of the solar system.

When this probe was launched in January 2006, its destination was still the solar system's ninth planet. Pluto was controversially demoted to a dwarf planet later that year, but its allure is undiminished. Above its surface, frosted with exotic ices, is a strange atmosphere that seeps constantly into space, and a complex system of moons, including the giant Charon. Pluto will be a dazzling destination in itself, and this first visit could also give us clues to how our own planet formed, and to the ancient upheavals that shaped the solar system. With the blobs of Pluto and Charon already swelling in New Horizons's sights, these are exciting times at the solar system's new frontier.

www.newscientist.com/a...

0 |

Dwarf planet Pluto's dark and light terrains

'Best candidates' for lost Philae comet lander

0 |

0 |

1 |

disinfo.com/2015/06/bl...

0 |