Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

its the size of those explosions on the surface that's mind boggling to me takki and then when you think our sun is merely a blip compared to some of the giants out there..

0 |

Mind boggling.

0 |

a Mars MAVEN mission talk from this years AGU

virtualoptions.agu.org...

0 |

Getting a weird message about that link, Pav?

0 |

what sort of weird message?

0 |

Here Are NASA's Plans to Send a Submarine to Titan

io9.com/here-are-nasas...

0 |

Message about the connection not being private?

0 |

dunno what that's about,maybe because I'm a member, but it should be publicly available... if you google 'AGU fall meeting' and go into the virtual options you should be able to get to it

0 |

there press conferences for the rosetta and maven missions

0 |

Just got this paper back. www.amazon.com/Science...

0 |

Pav you not interested in throwing up some of your lectures/papers for the armchair science enthusiasts or does one require several degrees on the subject just to get past the contents pages

0 |

I thought my AGU session this year was one of the virtual sessions, and was going to link it if I didn't fuck it up, but they recorded a different session instead... Finishing a beast of a paper atm i'll link it up when its published.. lots of big pictures and fairly easy to follow.

it'll be more interesting science that cool space though

1 |

That's why I created a cool science thread get 'er fired in there especially if it's got big pictures

0 |

Mystery Mars haze baffles scientists www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

0 |

m.phys.org/news/2015-0...

1 |

www.nasa.gov/sites/def...

Magnetospheric Multiscale Observatories Processed for Launch

NASA's Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) observatories are processed for launch in a clean room at the Astrotech Space Operations facility in Titusville, Florida. MMS is an unprecedented NASA mission to study the mystery of how magnetic fields around Earth connect and disconnect, explosively releasing energy via a process known as magnetic reconnection. MMS consists of four identical spacecraft that work together to provide the first three-dimensional view of this fundamental process, which occurs throughout the universe.

The mission observes reconnection directly in Earth's protective magnetic space environment, the magnetosphere. By studying reconnection in this local, natural laboratory, MMS helps us understand reconnection elsewhere as well, such as in the atmosphere of the sun and other stars, in the vicinity of black holes and neutron stars, and at the boundary between our solar system's heliosphere and interstellar space.

MMS is a NASA mission led by the Goddard Space Flight Center. The instrument payload science team consists of researchers from a number of institutions and is led by the Southwest Research Institute. Launch of the four identical observatories aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station is managed by Kennedy Space Center’s Launch Services Program. Liftoff is currently targeted for 10:44 p.m. EDT on March 12.

Mission page - www.nasa.gov/mission_p...

0 |

loid.gizmodo.com/the-c...

1 |

Pic from the space walk on 21st Feb, just past - www.nasa.gov/sites/def...

0 |

0 |

0 |

Lunch time space read... with the Dawn Spacecraft approaching Ceres over the next week or two, here's a bit of background on the dwarf planet Ceres.

The Complete History Of Ceres, The Planet (?) Between Mars And Jupiter
io9.com/the-complete-h...

0 |

The largest airplane in history, a 385-foot (117-meter) wingspan beast designed to carry and launch a giant rocket to space, with a combined weigh of 1,200,000 pounds (540,000 kg).

loid.gizmodo.com/first...

0 |

Ceres starting to tease...

'Bright Spot' on Ceres Has Dimmer Companion

Dwarf planet Ceres continues to puzzle scientists as NASA's Dawn spacecraft gets closer to being captured into orbit around the object. The latest images from Dawn, taken nearly 29,000 miles (46,000 kilometers) from Ceres, reveal that a bright spot that stands out in previous images lies close to yet another bright area.

"Ceres' bright spot can now be seen to have a companion of lesser brightness, but apparently in the same basin. This may be pointing to a volcano-like origin of the spots, but we will have to wait for better resolution before we can make such geologic interpretations," said Chris Russell, principal investigator for the Dawn mission, based at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Read more: www.nasa.gov/jpl/dawn/...

0 |

Methane on Mars
m.phys.org/news/2015-0...

0 |

ys.org/news/2015-02-li...

0 |

0 |

NASA releases first ever footage of a blue sunset on Mars i.imgur.com/tUcWIBQ.gif

1 |

Another big first for space exploration. There's so much happening all the time these days.

Nasa's Dawn probe bears down on Ceres

"The US space agency is waiting for confirmation that its Dawn probe has gone into orbit around Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter."

"It has taken the satellite 7.5 years to reach its destination, and it will spend the next 14 months mapping the diminutive world."

"Ceres is the first of the dwarf planets to be visited by a spacecraft."

Read more: www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

1 |

Curiosity drill site reveals that under its red surface, Mars is grey-blue

www.nasa.gov/sites/def...

0 |

Enceladus, Saturn's 6th largest moon, has a warm ocean with hydrothermal vents. This is the first ever discovered outside of Earth, and makes for the most habitable off-world environment ever found.
www.popularmechanics.c...

0 |

Water everywhere in our solar system ffs and none of it we can reach

0 |

Visions of space on the 50th anniversary of the first spacewalk

www.bbc.co.uk/news/wor...

0 |

Europa over the Great Red Spot

i.imgur.com/Tg2Im.jpg

1 |

thats a cool as fuck photo

0 |

Cool

0 |

Any more info on it, Jim?

0 |

Composite photo taken by Voyager 1 on March 3, 1979. Edited by Michael Benson of Kinetikon Pictures www.kinetikonpictures....

Http://www.kinetikonpi... shows the original version. i.imgur.com/Tg2Im.jpg is a high resolution version of the original.

Colorized version m.imgur.com/mT04a

0 |

The picture is on page 80 in the pdf.

0 |

awesome to think that the gravitational pull of essentially a big ball of gas can have such an adverse affect on Europa

0 |

They think Jupiter could have a rocky core, surrounded by liquid metallic hydrogen. Only the surface 'skin' is gas.

0 |

Laniakea: Our home supercluster

0 |

Ffs was looking good forward to having a wee ganders at the eclipse and it's like fucking Bespin out there ffs

0 |

clouds only covered there. seen about 80% covered, class.
hope about 5 billion people die.

0 |

Very feckin dull now.

0 |

complete cloud cover in London good.

0 |

can see it clearly in city centre. sore on the peepers though.

0 |

www.whydontyoutrythis....

The universe in perspective. I think I need a lie down after that.

0 |

Unreal molo. No. 16 is pretty mind blowing and a good way of scaling things.

1 |

God is amazing

0 |

motherboard.vice.com/r...

0 |