Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

luto.jhuapl.edu/galler...

0 |

Good wee article where that pic is from - www.universetoday.com/...

0 |

every vehicle that has had people in space to scale...

i.imgur.com/7VHafuy.png

0 |

Tsk Pav I posted that up earlier in the thread along with some facts on thon Saturn 5 rocket, also another chart showing our human ships in comparison to movie/tv show ships we need to up our ante our shit pales in comparison to the empire's

0 |

missed it due to the Hayabusa 2 sequence of posts

0 |

sorry

0 |

www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/...

0 |

seen this wee spacecraft 3d app being demonstrated earlier... interesting wee gimmick...

www.nasa.gov/mission_p...

wonder how they'll be developing it.

got to check put the Xcor Lynx ealier too... was sitting inside a replica model

0 |

NASA e-mailed a wrench to the ISS.

www.wired.co.uk/news/a...

0 |

If We Ever Meet Aliens, They'll Probably Be Robots

io9.com/if-we-ever-mee...

0 |

This is cool... loid.gizmodo.com/two-m...

0 |

Who Would Win in an All-Out Battle: Star Wars or Star Trek?

gizmodo.com/who-would-...

0 |

Nice nerdy read but a bit unfair as Star wars tech was designed first and foremost to closely mimic our current methods of fighting battles so they had aitcraft carriers/battleships/fighters/infantry etc except they moved the whole lot into space and kept the ground assault vehicles whereas trek was never designed to show huge space battles and ground warfare and therefore could be more exotic with their tech each was designed to suit the appropriate medium star wars for the big screen could afford to show big battles and trek was tv orientated that's my take on it

0 |

breathe man.

0 |

I really should hit the return key once in a while and use the odd ,

0 |

puts nerdier nerd hat on

Trek doesn't have very much exotic tech, in fact, many would say that its technology was frequently the most realistic or grounded out of countless scifi properties. Think of all the various technologies that are already being developed as realistic possibilities by current day science - transporters are working at an atomic level, warp drive is a theoretical possibility if energy generation was much more advanced. We walk around every day holding smartphones that contain dozens of powerful sensors, and household consoles can already detect the presence of "bodies" through IR alone.

Compare this with the Force, Death Star rays, and hyperdrive, and I think Wars had far more exotic technology.

0 |

/forgets to take nerdier nerd hat off, is bullied for decades

0 |

But the tech in star wars was still based on the principle of going to war old skool style heck in the opening scenes of the SW2 battle above coruscant there are two huge battleships side by side utilising manned artillery ffs like the old navy battles whereas trek was always about firing precision lazers and torpedoes that could inflict massive damage

0 |

He's right in saying that treks technology would win the war

0 |

The Day a Meteorite Hit Ann Hodges

"The rock slammed into the house, punching a hole in the roof. Still moving rapidly, it hit a radio (at the time, a pretty big affair), caromed off, and smacked into the hand and hip of Ms. Hodges, who was napping on the couch nearby. It left a fierce bruise on her side that, to this day, still gives me the willies. This event is the most well-documented case of a human hit by a meteorite in history."

Read more... www.slate.com/blogs/ba...

0 |

Alexander Gerst’s Earth timelapses from the ISS

0 |

What Cities Would Look Like if Lit Only by the Stars

www.wired.com/2014/11/...

0 |

13 of the Most Amazing Things Discovered in Space This Year

www.wired.com/2014/12/...

0 |

0 |

13 of the Most Amazing Things Discovered in Space This Year

www.wired.com/2014/12/...

0 |

Hubble Space Telescope is 25 folks.

Legend.

ubble25th.org

0 |

0 |

"This image from Hubble shows one half of it, and is composed of over 400 separate images taken in six different filters. The full resolution image is a staggering 1.5 billion pixels in size—1,500 megapixels—and took 394 hours of Hubble’s time to observe… over 16 solid days. The image I have here has been shrunk down to 1,440 pixels wide, so it’s massively compressed. The highest resolution image available from the folks at Hubble is 17,384 x 5558 pixels, and is a mere 100 megapixels."

Some amazing shit in this article... www.slate.com/blogs/ba...

1 |

This is class...

ISS Timelapse - From England To Egypt Moonlighted (12 Dicembre 2014)

0 |

From Above - Astronaut Photography with Don Pettit

0 |

“The first day or so we all pointed to our countries. The third or fourth day we were pointing to our continents. By the fifth day, we were aware of only one Earth.”

0 |

old low res- pillar of creation image
www.newscientist.com/d...

pillars of creation hi-res
www.newscientist.com/d...

0 |

I know you're not a big fan of Mars, RJ, but come on... www.theguardian.com/sc...

; p

0 |

Moon, Mercury, Jupiter and Mars.

apod.nasa.gov/apod/ima...

0 |

Great pic

0 |

Dangerous space shit: Toxic Leak at ISS, astronauts safely evacuated to Russian segment of the ISS

rt.com/news/222535-iss...

0 |

Scary shit. Bet they remained calm and controlled. Those guys are legends.

0 |

word has it, some lad was going for the two hand on the wall piss and it all went awry in zero-g

0 |

Being naked in zero g must be a wonderful experience.

0 |

I wonder what your balls look like when you're very warm in zero g. A big droopy sack possibly hanging up ways.

1 |

Ten Years Ago, Huygens Probe Lands on Surface of Titan

Ten years ago, an explorer from Earth parachuted into the haze of an alien moon toward an uncertain fate. After a gentle descent lasting more than two hours, it landed with a thud on a frigid floodplain, surrounded by icy cobblestones. With this feat, the Huygens probe accomplished humanity's first landing on a moon in the outer solar system. Huygens was safely on Titan, the largest moon of Saturn.

These images of Saturn's moon Titan were taken on Jan. 14, 2005 by the Huygens probe at four different altitudes. The images are a flattened (Mercator) projection of the view from the descent imager/spectral radiometer on the probe as it landed on Titan's surface.

The Cassini-Huygens mission is a cooperative project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. JPL designed, developed and assembled the Cassini orbiter. NASA supplied two instruments on the Huygens probe, the Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer and the Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer.

www.nasa.gov/content/t...

0 |

Loads more cool stuff on the Titan landing... www.nasa.gov/jpl/cassi...

0 |

Cool pic of the inside of the ISS Cupola. It'll be class when they get a 3D 360 camera up there and you can look around in 3D in Oculus Rift, cardboard etc. Or someone creates a 1 to 1 version in CGI to explore.

www.nasa.gov/content/i...

0 |

cienceblogs.com/starts...

0 |

The Beautiful Violence of Exoplanet Aurorae

news.discovery.com/spa...

0 |

Awesome

1 |

Haha class just a wee but more fuel and who knows

0 |

Space Events of 2015

i.imgur.com/WDTBvhb.png

1 |

Wow. Didn't know a couple of astronauts were doing a year long stint on the ISS.

0 |

Cant wait to see Pluto!
Rosetta watching Comet 67/P's closet approach to the sun will be interesting too.
Earth passing through these larger particles in November could be a class sight!
LISA could find some amazing results.
EHT, too!

So much stuff happening!

1 |