Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

Big day today.

0 |

any news yet?

0 |

tense time in here no doubt www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014...

0 |

I cant wait to see what they find from an object that has been around since the birth of the solar system. Since before earth existed. Mawd. Imagine it was teaming with microbes. Highly unlikely, but who knows. This is a total adventure into the unknown, and vast depths of history, imagine they did... fuck! Mawd, MAWWDDD!

0 |

Success, brilliant stuff

2 |

10 years and 6.5 billion km later...

Humanity really can achieve some amazing feats when they put their minds to it.

1 |

one small step for man,... oh, its just a big rock.

0 |

but is it a rock?

0 |

it's the fucking transformers. and we are pussy footing around like this. when thon big cunt, optimus prime, lands on the York road, don't say I didn't tell you this was going to happen.

0 |

Optimus Prime is the sound one though.

0 |

right enough, takk, im sure the good folks on the york road will be super chuffed to see him, in that case.

1 |

haha... I read that as New York originally, for some reason. The Yanks would fucking love Opti Prime wrecking the place.

0 |

Fake

0 |

ci.esa.int/where_is_ro...

0 |

Uh oh. Apparently there are issues.

0 |

Issues? The harpoons failed to fire on landing as well.

0 |

It bounced and landed a second time. It's on the comet. According to the news

0 |

what do you mean it fucking bounced??
who bounced it?

0 |

it landed on the wrong comet

0 |

i thought you said 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

1 |

Shit one that they have to wait till Thursday to get radio contact again.

0 |

There's no gravity on it worth talking about. I've no idea how they programmed it to land by itself on a rotating object with uneven surfaces, cliffs, boulders.

Really hope it gets planted enough for them to study it. This is the sort of unfortunate problem that can cut funding and destroy future ventures :(

0 |

it bounced because the harpoons failed

0 |

The landing rockets failed as well. Ten years in transit must have done some damage.

0 |

A bit of good news, thankfully!!

"Philae is on the surface and doing a marvellous job, working very well and we can say we have a very happy lander," says Paolo Ferri, ESA's Head of Mission Operations at ESOC today.

Read more...

blogs.esa.int/rosetta/...

0 |

yeah but unless they can anchor they won't be able to drill into the comet, not sure about its surface collecting abilities

0 |

I guess it will depend on the drill and the surface of the ground below, etc.

I'm fucking shitting myself about JWST.

0 |

How much does it cost to land on a comet?

cienceogram.org/blog/2...

0 |

Awesome... wistedsifter.com/2014/...

0 |

Crazy that we have the technology to do this and somewhere out there there's a piece of earth tech hurtling through space on a bloody massive comet of all things

1 |

could it not all be a big spoof?

0 |

A big spoof that leading scientists are putting their careers on the line for? 25 years in the planning and 10 years traveling across space to get there. Nah don't think so.

0 |

haha

0 |

reeled in

0 |

Nooooooooo

gizmodo.com/philaes-ba...

0 |

I Feel dirty after that troll RJ. Cheap thrills on a Thursday night.

0 |

not bad NASA not bad

images-cdn.9gag.com/ph...

0 |

that sucks big time.. feel sorry for the scientists whose whole career has revolved around this mission

0 |

sacked in the morning!

0 |

Fuck me. that is mind fuck how that was done

0 |

great gif SS, mad the calculation that had to be done just to get into orbit with the comet

0 |

I don't even want to thinking about it Pavlov.

0 |

Just to note NASA had nothing to do with it though.

0 |

i said ESA

0 |

Just a bit of drama for the Reality TV world. Sure it'll be sweet.

0 |

Not true, Matthew. NASA contributed instruments on board.

0 |

lh3.ggpht.com/-7zNwJN9...

2 |

Hopefully more good news...

0 |

0 |