Choose a discussion

Cool Space shit

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012...

Interesting to think that in the future when space flight has become the norm that history will look back on this little capsule as the moment space opened up to the rest of the world instead of a select few governments

0 |

We're about to get our first really good look at a comet...

www.slate.com/blogs/ba...

0 |

NASA: New "impossible" engine works, could change space travel forever

Until yesterday, everyone in the international community was laughing at this engine and its inventor, Roger Sawyer. It's called the EmDrive and everyone said it was impossible because it went against the laws of physics. But the fact is that the quantum vacuum plasma thruster works in the lab and scientists can't explain why.

Sawyer's engine is extremely light and simple. It provides a thrust by "bouncing microwaves around in a closed container." The microwaves are generated using electricity that can be provided by solar energy. No propellant is necessary, which means that this thrusters can work forever unless a hardware failure occurs. If real, this would be a major breakthrough in space propulsion technology.

loid.gizmodo.com/nasa-...

0 |

A good read... loid.gizmodo.com/this-...

0 |

Object: Triton's subsurface ocean
Temperature: About -90 °C

A new day dawns on Triton. It's going to be a cold one, much like the last. And the one before that… and every day since the moon settled into its present orbit around Neptune. Even the volcanoes here spew out cold gases and liquid water rather than hot magma. But below the frigid surface, which registers a temperature of -235 °C, there's something more clement: a liquid ocean.

www.newscientist.com/a...

0 |

Close encounter with a comet motherboard.vice.com/r...

0 |

Can't wait. Hope all goes well with the mission. Going to be amazing.

0 |

www.livememe.com/ovrr8...

0 |

WOW - www.esa.int/Our_Activi...

0 |

can see them mining these bad boys soon enough

0 |

Some easily impressed chaps on here. Sand-box space craic. Scoop, scoop. Broom, broom

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

0 |

Lunar-tics!!

0 |

What are you talking about, Blurt? You mean these actual pictures, taken using a highly technologically advanced space probe, sent using real maths and science, 100000s miles, to meet a huge comet and orbit it and sample is 'zzzzzzz', as opposed to getting excited over some tin foil lunatic, living in a desert on his own, talking complete nonsense (due to their being zero evidence, not because it just sounds like the ramblings of a looper) about the sun being hollow or a spaceship, or something lol?? I think you need to lay of the weed for a while!

0 |

Wow, chill out Bob the Builder. No need to get all raged out

0 |

I'm not at all, Blurt. I'm genuinely just wondering what you meant. Seems weird you always comment in threads you seem to not have an interest in, other than to do a bit of slagging. Seems a bit sad that you feel the need to do that so much.

0 |

I think he meant that grainy b&w pictures of a rock are a bit of a dip in form for this illustrious thread.

0 |

Now, now, I know a wee rage-based mask slip when I see one ...

Sure all outburst's like that show is the lack of confidence you have in your beliefs, when push comes to shove. If you were rooted squarely and honestly, you'd be indifferent. My opinion wouldn't matter in the slightest, and you wouldn't feel so inclined to try and deface it

But it seems that is evidently not the case. So the ball’s in your court to get to the bottom of why that keeps happening to you, why the red lights don’t trigger or at least you don't stop for them

If you have trouble accepting this message, then there isn’t much hope of getting to the bottom of the reasoning behind it. What I would say is, Buck up, takki Moon Scoop - buck up

This is pure Sandbox Science, photographing a hurdling rock. Whip up the quantum malark and i'm all ears, but this is not what I would consider 'cool' at all. Gets to the bottom of nothing of significance and burns a load of coin

From the "look how fast and shiny" sort of perspective it's probs pretty cool but fuckin' hell, i'd like to think we're moving past this sort of thinking

0 |

Mate yer rite!!

(Get it?)

0 |

"Check out the fruits of our $50m labour in photographing the surface of Mars"
www.topdesignmag.com/w...

*swoons*

0 |

of course its cool, just cause it aint a 4K live video feed doesnt mean the science behind getting those B&W photos isnt fucking awesome, its incredible to think we can do this and by we i mean those bastard people born with the smarts to even come up with this shit, plan it and then see it through.. definitely classes as some cool space shit

0 |

Look rj and takki, if blurt doesn't understand/ appreciate it he'll try to prevent anyone else enjoying the topic. It's that common decency he like to talk about...

0 |

No way, Jose. Boorrrringgg

Nelson Muntz would certainly sleep to this

Where is the irrefutable proof that photo's not a zoomed in sample of the Giants Causeway?

0 |

You should be aiming higher. pavlov

0 |

Grainy pics? They're pretty sharp, and it's still over 200km away.

Sorry Blurt, TL;DR. Will have to sit down and read it later.

0 |

Ok, it'll be there for later. What concretely will come out of this mission which is applicable to everyday life for every human on the planet?

0 |

Really?

I thought your next level grey thinking would be able to come up with something... you know since your so interested in quantum.

or do you just need spoon fed answers like sheeple?

0 |

Yeah, really. Please do go on. All I got is:

" they can teach us about the origin of water and other molecules necessary for life on Earth "

So what practicalities applicable to every day life for everyone on Earth will come from this comet misison?

If you don't know, just say ... no need to get all cornered, lashing out in offence and shiz

0 |

nobody is lashing out except for you.

0 |

Well, you're the chap slinging insults instead of just answering a question ...

So again, what practicalities applicable to every day life for everyone on Earth will come from this comet mission?

0 |

Without knowing the technology and processes that went into planning, manufacture, software etc its hard to know exactly all the benefits that will come about due to this particular mission and its long term effects on other similar upcoming missions, so its hard to know exactly what tangible benefits you will get out of it but no doubt the human race will gain plenty and that's what counts

0 |

Knowledge, for a start. Particularly in potential future missions to mine asteroids, etc. Plus some technologies, possibly.

Look up some of the stuff which we use which has come about from NASA research.

0 |

Mining extra-terrestial bodies will drive innovation and pay for the expansion of our species into space.

People will have jobs in this new industry. It will help with limited resources on earth.

Being able to stick scientific equipment on comets and the like will help science probe the nature of gravity and open the possibility to new experiment to test the the standard model/ relativity and see how they can be reconciled with quantum physics.

better understand of the quantum physics will aid development of quantum computing allowing faster more powerful computers to built.

it will help push boundaries in the design of meta materials/ semi- conductors.

Don't really have time atm to produce a bigger more comprehensive list, and we both know your just trolling any way

0 |

Seems like a case of betting the house on a straw man, really. If’s , but’s and maybe’s galore - logistics out the window. It’s a pretty poor use of resources, given the current state of Earth

Sure the crux of the points made there hinge around ignoring how negatively poised we are as a species, attitude wise, and encourage just ploughing on. Run this planet into the ground then just jump ship, rinse and repeat or grip more stuff from elsewhere and crack on as is. Fixing the branches & ignoring the rotting roots … Building a new industry around further plundering is insanity peppers at a high level

If we sorted our ‘foundations’ out I’d be more for this sort of sandbox stuff (though I doubt we’d tend to lean on it as heavily). Until then it’s juvenile avoidance rationalized as scientific conquest. The claims of “Sexiest space mission ever” etc are testament to that – geg quote, in fairness

Nowhere near cool. The quantum pigeon article was pretty cooool though (that’s meant to be a bird noise)

0 |

all i know is i want a big whack of comet to put in my living room as an ornament.

nothing else would matter, you could have the mew M3 BMW, or twenty five girlfriends, you would not be winning the "who has the biggest dick contest" with me.

comet rocks ftw! gettem mined bais!

0 |

That's the thing justim ... It could all be just ice and all you'd have to show people was your wet patch. then eventually a residual stain
... But after this mission you'll know if your dream is worthwhile.

The blurts if this world would be happy for you to follow your dream and just end up with a wet patch... =/

0 |

they should use the spacecraft to land on it, and use it to slow the fucker down, and land it on earth.

that would be some craic.

0 |

loid.gizmodo.com/the-s...

0 |

Good weekend for stargazing www.irishcentral.com/c...

0 |

Saw the space station go over two nights ago and it was the brightest I've ever seen it, then it faded until it was gone as it passed into Earths shadow. Always amazing to see. You really get a sense of the speed when you see if cross the sky, too.

1 |

loid.gizmodo.com/cool-...

0 |

imagine taking shrooms in space on that flying saucer. that would be the big finale. (as opposed to the big bang.)
it would complete our monkey-body evolution and take us to the next dimension where disease and famine and war have no words. i like to think.

1 |

haha.. some day we'll do that lad.

0 |

why another rover on mars? are they actually going to try to populate it?

0 |

So that they can send men to mars

0 |

Huge Storms Spotted On Uranus www.iflscience.com/spa...

0 |

toss up between NSA thread and here... but the US has too many spy satellites so they've given NASA parts to build 2 more hubbles

0 |

Tonzer has a storm on his anus every Monday morning when the fear kicks in

0 |

Read some crazy facts on the NRO's size in comparison to say the NSA and other government departments

0 |

content-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn...

0 |

All alone in the night

0 |

Now You Can Truly Appreciate the Size of Comet Churymov-Gerasimenko

io9.com/now-you-can-tr...

0 |