Choose a discussion

Cool science shit

blogs.technet.com/b/ne... would love this as a coffee table

0 |

More about growing doots www.iflscience.com/hea...

0 |

Explore the Ocean Floor From The Comfort Of Your Own Home www.iflscience.com/env...

0 |

The passing of time and quantum entanglement...

www.wired.com/2014/04/...

0 |

The shit that goes on at the quantum scale is almost bloody magical, the fact that no two particles throughout the entire universe share the same energy state is not only mindboggling but if you change the energy state of particles around you say by rubbing your hands together then every single one of the little bastards throughout the whole universe simultaneously adjusts to accommodate the new energy states because every single one is connected to the other and somehow this happens exactly the same time no matter the distance involved... HOW?!?!?!! Bloody God and his mysterious ways...

0 |

Clean mental. Wonder why God made it like that though?

0 |

Yeah that's the bit i cant quite grasp cause christians are simple minded fuckers yet their god made the universe infinitely vast and complex...

0 |

www.bbc.co.uk/news/wor...

0 |

It's not that it was made that way. We are the damn thing

0 |

"if you change the energy state of particles around you say by rubbing your hands together then every single one of the little bastards throughout the whole universe simultaneously adjusts to accommodate the new energy states because every single one is connected to the other"

equals

"The one is the whole. One man's suffering is all man's suffering" etc..

When a sandal-bound man says it, he's a spacer. When a white coat says the same thing he's a groundbreaker

And you's honestly consider yourselves objective?

0 |

This has always been really interesting to me...

discovermagazine.com/2...

Kind of infuriating that there is no real way for us 3 coners to ever perceive what these people might see, or creatures with even more cones, eg the mantis shrimp.

0 |

Maybe stem cell or cyber implants will be able to pick p the slack on thaat one... augmented reality specs could be used to false colour light outside the visible spectrum and let us 'see' UV and IF and other energy wave length.

0 |

lol.. yeah, my imagination was running wild with the cyber implants/direct optic nerve tapping fantasies, Pav. Didn't want to say anything in case Kev came weighing in with judgments on why we wont have any of those things in our lifetimes, for now.

What other wave lengths would they use though? Maybe make similar colours in our spectrum 'glisten' or something? That'd be cool.

0 |

PM Riddick

0 |

Would you's go for all that bionic lark?

0 |

Cochlear implants (afaik) process sound then electrically stimulate nerves in the ear to aid hearing. It should be feasible within our lifetimes to do something with the optic nerve.

Imagine using blue tinges to visualise the electromagnetic fields geiven off by electrical equipment and power lines. Iwas reading recently that animals are wary of crossing under power cables because they can see the energy radiating from them...

gizmodo.com/animals-se...

0 |

Yeah, cats fight with ghost's all the times. That's when they do the flips and play with the invisible cats. Never thought i'd hear you going on about seeing aura's, pavlov

0 |

I do think its possible that some people can see auras but it is a synesthesiac 'sensing' of their visual emotional cues... like tasting colours or seeing sounds.
all the new age baggage associsted with it is a way of partimg the weak minded from their money.

I was talking more about actually using technology to visualise different types of energy we know is there but our optics 'sensors' are incapable on capturing and decoding.

but given the opertunity to get an implant to see a wider spectrum of the EM energy, hell yeah.

0 |

“all the new age baggage associsted with it is a way of partimg the weak minded from their money”
Couldn’t agree more. Though I’d go a step further to say the acceptance of any sort of authority, be it religious, psychological, scientific, spiritual or whatever, is the death of free enquiry in its rawest sense, and that is the basis of a weak mind

“I do think its possible that some people can see auras but it is a synesthesiac 'sensing' of their visual emotional cues... like tasting colours or seeing sounds”
It’s all just energy before being processed through various lanes of more rigid Sensory Red Tape, so would say you are more or less on point with that. I’m mildly synesthetic, see sounds but not as colours. A black backdrop with ripples like you would see in the water, but rippling out forward towards by different amounts depending on velocity etc, coming from the area they are placed in the stereo spectrum. Has got more noticeable since started focusing more on music. Like searching for that balance, when the ripples start coming out in my mind it’s nearly there. Hard to describe

Pretty interesting topic, all this. Managed to get the nod to do my dissertation on synesthesia and the relationship between visual colour and musical pitch (despite it having fuck all to do with the course really). Yer man Alexander Scriabin was a bit of a legend. Mapped the colours of the visual spectrum across the keys of the musical scale by some fancy pants maths and/or mushrooms. His colour system, unlike most synesthetic experiences, accords with the circle of fifths which came from Newton’s Optiks. Which adds another dimension entirely, imo … madness
4.bp.blogspot.com/_xyC...

0 |

"by some fancy pants maths and/or mushrooms"

haha.

Will check that out later. Sounds interesting. Would have fitted in well with a couple of my modules at Uni.

0 |

Space, tech and science nerds will love this.

0 |

arstechnica.com/scienc...

0 |

www.funnyjunk.com/chan...

0 |

sakes MM we have a cool space shit thread for such items and its already been posted.. do keep up old boy

0 |

This is pretty amazing...

gizmodo.com/a-massive-...

0 |

RJ. I actually though about putting that in space thread, but the expirement was done in a lab by scientists. :-)

0 |

'Biggest dinosaur ever' discovered www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

0 |

Cool as fuk!

0 |

next level stuff

www.theguardian.com/sc...

0 |

Blonde Hair Mutation Identified www.iflscience.com/hea...

0 |

massive asteroid discovered less than two months ago to fly by close to earth this sunday (three times the moons distance) and about 20 times the size of the one that hit Russia last year, would have been equivalent explosive power to a hydrogen bomb if it hit.

www.space.com/26129-be...

slightly disconcerting that they only discovered this fucker two months ago

0 |

i reckon thats plenty of time to get a mining crew together, blast off and divert it through copious amounts of nuclear stuff before it fucks your shit up

0 |

Listening to a podcast about this one in 1989. They didn't realise until 9 days after.
Also in the same podcast Terence McKenna gives credence to the notion that the Earth being a living organism is aware of an object that will hit us and destroy the planet and thus gave rise to animals and evolution and humans in a valiant attempt to raise ourselves beyond the galaxy towards a new safe place where we continue this thing called, life. Got my vote.

0 |

this one: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

0 |

Cell dividing GIF - www.iflscience.com/hea...

0 |

LHC scientists to search for 'fifth force of Nature'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

0 |

The blackest black - www.independent.co.uk/...

0 |

'Smell the Glove'

0 |

More photos and info on the weird black stuff.

Looks so weird. Even on a bumpy, angled surface like crumpled tinfoil, it just looks totally flat...

www.extremetech.com/ex...

0 |

None more black

0 |

Diamond crushed to Saturn's extremes

"Diamond, nature's hardest material, has been crushed to record extremes of pressure using the "world's biggest laser", US scientists report."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

0 |

Big hole has appeared. No one's sure how it got there. New pictures and video footage. loid.gizmodo.com/new-f...

0 |

a huge hole appeared in the street next to me last Tuesday. the cops are looking into it.

0 |

Acoustic levitation

1 |

bacteria that live off pure electricity
www.newscientist.com/a...

0 |

that's amazing!

0 |

The Man Who Made Insects:

In 1836, Crosee carried out what would be his most controversial experiment. After soaking a porous stone in a mixture of potassium silicate and hydrochloric acid, Crosse ran an electrical current through the combined chemicals so that he could form silicate crystals. On the 26th day of the experiment, Crosse reported seeing what he described as "the perfect insect, standing erect on a few bristles which formed its tail". The insects then crawled away with hundreds more appearing in the following weeks. After identifying the insects as belonging to the Acaridae family, Crosse declared that the insects belonged to an entire new species of mites, acarus electricus (later changed to acarus crossii) although he carefully denied saying that he created them using electricity. As he would write afterward:

“In fact, I assure you most sacredly that I have never dreamed of any theory sufficient to account for their appearance. I confess that I was not a little surprised, and am so still, and quite as much as I was when the acari first made their appearance. Again, I have never claimed any merit as attaching to these experiments. It was a matter of chance. I was looking for silicious formations, and acari appeared instead…

drvitelli.typepad.com/...

0 |

RJ MacreadySaturday 26 April 2014 @ 8:34 a.m.
The shit that goes on at the quantum scale is almost bloody magical, the fact that no two particles throughout the entire universe share the same energy state is not only mindboggling but if you change the energy state of particles around you say by rubbing your hands together then every single one of the little bastards throughout the whole universe simultaneously adjusts to accommodate the new energy states because every single one is connected to the other and somehow this happens exactly the same time no matter the distance involved... HOW?!?!?!! Bloody God and his mysterious ways...

You just melted my brain RJ!!

Simulation Theory Vibes?

0 |

That siberian hole, takki.
Could possibly be a ognip... a collapsed pingo. It a hill formed by the ice lensing under the permafrost. repeated thaw melt cycles cause it to grow deeper underground...

When temperature rise enough the ice full melts and the hill resting on it collapses.

0 |

Yeah, been reading about the possible causes and that seemed to be one of the more believable possibilities. I thought there was maybe a bit too much ejected material around the rim, which also spread out quite far from the rim to be caused by some form of collapse. I haven't looked into anything about it since actually. Must see if there was any findings lately.

0 |

see though mice...

www.newscientist.com/a...

0 |