Choose a discussion

Cool science shit

blogs.technet.com/b/ne... would love this as a coffee table

0 |

Seems like it could be real as there are quite a few other vids of people doing the same and the same sound..

Must give it a whirl next time there's a big freeze.

0 |

Weirdest sound ever (not quite sure if it's real)...

its no marble corridor though.

0 |

This is great news - www.guardian.co.uk/sci...

0 |

im thinking about doing a science based degree with the Open University

0 |

i want to marry Brian Cox, I’m addicted to his shows on Eden at the minute and i wish i was smart enough to get into Quantum Physics / Astronomy

0 |

serious man crush on the goodfy cunt

0 |

aye, I'd buck him too tbf. Whilst D:REAM played in the background.

0 |

He cless but no Fenynmann imo
video.google.com/video...
RIP one of the bestest quantum scientists ever

0 |

id donate a bollock to get working on these types of projects, some incredible pictures

www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

0 |

Just found out this is happening this Sunday! If they manage to pull this off, it'll be amazing. Unbelievable that people can think up a plan like this!

"Next week at this time, there may be an amazing new robotic explorer on Mars. Or there may be a new pile of junk. It all likely depends on many things going correctly in the minutes after the Mars Science Laboratory mission arrives at Mars and attempts to deploy the Curiosity rover from orbit. Arguably the most sophisticated landing yet attempted on the red planet, consecutive precision events will involve a heat shield, a parachute, several rocket maneuvers, and the automatic operation of an unusual device called a Sky Crane. These "Seven Minutes of Terror" -- depicted in the above dramatic video -- will begin on Sunday, August 6 at about 5:24 am Universal time, which occurs on Saturday night, August 5 for western North Americans. If successful, the car-sized Curiosity rover will rest on the surface of Mars, soon to begin exploring Gale Crater to better determine the habitability of this seemingly barren world to life -- past, present, and future. Although multiple media outlets may cover this event, one way to watch these landing events unfold is on the NASA channel live on the web."

0 |

Aye, been waiting years for this to finally happen. Really do hope it goes well as it is such a huge feat and yet another example of how great science is at the minute. Better get the media attention it deserves as well.

Literally cannot wait to see what pics and data it sends back.

0 |

Theres some serious bit of kit onboard and what it has to go through not only to get to Mars but actually land in one piece is mindboggling, yeah looking forward to some serious pictures

0 |

watched something about this last night on iplayer. Sounds like such a task! It's amazing what it can do and how they're actually going to land it. Super awesome.

0 |

Hoping they get some footage of the landing process in some form or another. Maybe from an orbiter or perhaps from Curiosity as it gets close to the surface and the protective shell etc has been discarded.

0 |

It just shows you what humans are capable of.

Imagine if science had the funds from defences pumped into it.

0 |

If the US pumped even a fraction of what they put into they're DOD budget into NASA and other such departments think of the serious advancements that would be made, having said that the DOD has some seriously cool shit... next generation stealth/Mach 14+ UAVs, Battleship mounted rail guns Boeing 747 based lasers..

0 |

...don't forget lazer dolphins

0 |

aye, defence does develop some great technology too. But it's generally done for a somewhat selfish interest initially, until they're willing to let it into the public domain, if its relevant. + if it actually something genuinely worthwhile and of benefit to everyone (not just one country), it would be developed anyway I think.

0 |

0 |

Mon nai takki who doesnt want to see a rail gun fired from a battleship

0 |

lol, I'd rather see free energy or a space lift for hotel breaks in space than a rail gun fired from a battleship.

0 |

Whoops, Mars wont be in the right position when it first lands, so they wont have any contact. So probably not see anything.

Though they have a couple of thingys up there don't they? Id love to see the landing

0 |

what good is a gun that shoots rails?

0 |

It's not just rails once they've nailed that down they'll be able to fire fridges, mini's, Jehovah's witnesses etc at supersonic speeds towards the ENEMY

0 |

they should use it to fire kebabs at the HUNGRY

0 |

pop it in raw and Bam it's cooked by the time it smacks some African in the bake at 7 times the speed of sound

0 |

They have 2 orbiters already waiting at Mars so when Curiosity is on the dark side of Mars it can beam up the info to one of the orbiters which can then relay the signal back on to Earth. It will also have data storage so it can hold on to data until it is capable of sending it on.

0 |

I just want to see even a little bit of the Sky Crane in action! :D

0 |

this is some cool shit -> envisioningtech.com/en... Envisioning emerging technology for 2012 and beyond

0 |

Lots of cool stuff from Curiosity and it's arrival on Mars!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...

0 |

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-...

0 |

Femtophotography

0 |

invisable helmet, 2.20 onwards.

0 |

Nice J-roc

0 |

I wish I was this smart.This girl has developed 2 AI projects and she is just 18. One diagnosis's breast cancer and another Leukaemia. Pretty cool.

mashable.com/2013/05/2...

0 |

Been a slow year then. Wasn't that impressed by a couple of those lol.

That last one with the blurry face...? wtf?

0 |

10 of the Year’s Most Beautiful Science Images
www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013...

0 |

free copy of Arc for anyone interested...

www.arcfinity.org

0 |

John B. Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka are the joint winners of the 2012 Nobel Prize in Medicine for their discovery that mature cells can be reprogrammed to become pluripotent. fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akam...

0 |

Red alert for Aurora tonight - aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk

0 |

Levitating BBQ thingy using faradays law io9.com/5950262/this-l...

0 |

it all very lost

0 |

makes me a bit sad just thinking about how badly it ended

0 |

was a bit of a letdown for sure.. but still it did give us plenty of good years, we'll always have those

0 |

Put together a load of links and things for a friend... some will be on here already, some wont, but I thought I'd add the list for anyone maybe new to the thread...

Few things to look at sometime...

- This site has some cool 'what if' scenarios and they're explained well (in easy to understand ways), but with actual maths/physics to show the reasoning behind it... thought this one was pretty cool - what-if.xkcd.com/12
- All about Quantum Entanglement/Quantum Teleportation - www.wired.com/wiredsci...
- 5.5 trillion degrees Celsius - news.discovery.com/spa...

These next ones are videos etc. Full screen them if possible, they have great graphics and stuff...

- Cosmic Journeys : How Large is the Universe? - (this is the video that has the info on how big the full universe is etc! lol)
- Cosmic Journeys : What an Astronaut's Camera Sees (from ISS) -
- Cosmic Journeys : The Most Powerful Objects in the Universe -
- NASA Debunks Wacky 2012 Claims -
- Finding Another Earth Within Reach -
- View from the ISS at Night -
- Loads of good videos on the Large Hadron Collider - www.youtube.com/course...
- This is unreal... actually filming light travelling in slow motion -
- Boston Dynamics BigDog robot -
- Loads of great videos here - www.youtube.com/user/s...

Saturn...

- This is an amazing video made from nothing but actual pictures taken by Cassini, blended toegther to make what appears to be a smooth video, fucking unreal -
- Huygens probe descended to the surface of Titan (one of Saturns moons, bit more info in video description) -
- Outer Space -

The Curiosity Rover...

- This is a great video showing how the Curiosity Rover landed on Mars and the work it'll be able to do -
- This is ACTUAL footage of it landing with a couple of pictures it has taken at the end -
- Panorama from the surface of Mars in HD and colour - www.360cities.net/imag...

James Webb Space Telescope...

- James Webb Space Telescope Video FAQ -
- The James Webb Space Telescope: The Largest Telescope Ever Launched -

0 |

I think most, if not all of you will be interested in.... Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life' will be shown on More 4 on Mondays at 10 pm for the next three weeks starting tomorrow (15th October) by the good man himself, Dawkins

0 |

That some a game posting right there takki good show old chap

0 |

Yeah, saw that advertised Venjab... def gonna be watching that.

0 |

Quantum entanglement shows that reality can't be local
Either that, or faster-than-light communications is a go.
arstechnica.com/scienc...

0 |

the history of the earth in a stunning 1 and a half minutes...

0 |