Choose a discussion

Cool science shit

blogs.technet.com/b/ne... would love this as a coffee table

0 |

mon nai neddac, nothing could put me off nice crispy maple cured back bacon sizzling away

0 |

Not even sure why they attempted to treat him ffs. Put the poor huer out of his misery... also lol @ skin grafts. His internal organs were cooked to a crisp and they attempted to put skin on top *jesus*.

0 |

Ye wouldn't be able to help yerself take a sneaky lick....no?

0 |

*steals brown sauce sachets from hospital canteen.

0 |

I'm sure the smell was probably worse than the look. Grim altogether.

0 |

the human Rustler Burger

1 |

10 Scariest Theories Known to Man - www.kickassfacts.com/1...

10 More Scariest Theories Known to Man - www.kickassfacts.com/1...

0 |

I dare say with him an induced medical coma he felt nothing and it give everyone involved a real good chance to not only observe but attempt various new treatments for radiation exposure, I'm sure medical science learned something new from Mr crispy

0 |

New particle discovered at the LHC

www.iflscience.com/phy...

0 |

0 |

Class - wistedsifter.com/2015/...

0 |

“The physics of the Weyl fermion are so strange, there could be many things that arise from this particle that we're just not capable of imagining now,”

0 |

Possibly another new particle detected at LHC

0 |

0 |

Scientists make a transistor from a single molecule www.engadget.com/2015/...

0 |

X-men science...
"Individual cells have been turned into tiny lasers. “It’s actually super-easy,” says Matjaž Humar of Harvard Medical School. "

www.newscientist.com/a...

"We are all made of lasers,” says Humar."

0 |

This Material Wouldn't Melt, Even at the Center of the Earth

Researchers have discovered a material that could break the record for the highest melting point of any substance.

A team of Brown University engineers found that a combination of hafnium, nitrogen, and carbon, in just the right amounts, could withstand 4,400 kelvins, or around 7,460 degrees Fahrenheit. To give you an idea, that’s two-thirds the temperature of the sun’s surface. The outer core of the Earth can hit 4,300 kelvins, for further mind-blowing reference.

gizmodo.com/this-mater...

0 |

Scientists Make World's First White Laser

"This milestone puts lasers closer to eventually becoming a mainstream light source. Brighter and more energy efficient, they could replace LEDs, and even be used to make more accurate and vivid colors on computer and television screens. In addition, technology is under development to create light-based wireless communication, known as Li-Fi, which could potentially be more than 10 times faster than Wi-Fi."

www.iflscience.com/sci...

1 |

New design could finally help to bring fusion power closer to reality

ys.org/news/2015-08-fu...

0 |

What do you make of the whole "weve figured it out and were going to show the world" speel from Lockheed Martin? i mean, a company as fucking huge and resourceful not to mention filled to bursting with really smart guys have seemingly leapfrogged entire countries who are devoting billions to solving this.. have and have made it small enough to fit in a vehicle

0 |

Is that the Skunk Works system? I'll believe it when I see more on it. So far it's just a bit of a statement from them, with very little actual working evidence (I think they've shown some diagrams/plans f the system and given a bit of info about how it work).

I do think in 50 years time the way the world work will be VASTLY different to how it is now, and that may seem like an obvious statement, but I'm meaning a far bigger difference than what we saw in the last 50 years. There have been so, so many discoveries in new materials, metamaterials, particle physics, quantum computing, power generation (renewables becoming far more economical, advances in fusion and the like).. I just think we're on the verge of a pretty big leap forward.

0 |

fusion is the big daddy game changer though, unlimited energy.. that'll shake the world up somewhat

0 |

on covering the earth with internet...
www.bzarg.com/p/some-p...

0 |

Cool wee ending paragraph on that...

"In the mid twentieth century, Earth’s sky changed suddenly as commercial air traffic started to become a common and conspicuous sight. Perhaps Musk’s mega-fleet might do something similar to the early evening sky— look up in five to ten years, and you’ll see 200+ satellites twinkling above you."

0 |

like shiny photonic chemtrails ...

0 |

Staring Into Someone's Eyes For 10 Minutes Can Alter Your Consciousness

Forget LSD: eyes are the new high. Of course, we’re not talking about consuming them, but rather staring intensely into a pair for a prolonged period of time. Apparently, this can make people enter into an altered state of consciousness.

This intriguing discovery was made by vision researcher Giovanni Caputo from the University of Urbino in Italy, but it isn’t his first staring contest study. A few years ago, the scientist recruited 50 volunteers and got them to gaze upon their reflections in a mirror for 10 minutes in a dimly lit room. For many of them, it took less than one minute to start experiencing something trippy.

www.iflscience.com/bra...

0 |

That's defo my homework for tonight Takki!!

0 |

Scientists Have Discovered Skydiving Spiders in the Jungles of South America

As if arachnophobes didn’t already have enough to worry about, biologists working in Panama and Peru have discovered a nocturnal hunting spider capable of steering while in free fall—an unprecedented adaptation in tree-dwelling spiders that’s offering fresh insights into the evolution of flight.

The spider, which belongs to the genus Selenops, joins a very small number of non-flying insects, such as ants, bristletails, and even some insect larvae, known to have the capacity to maneuver while falling. A research team led by Robert Dudley from the University of California, Berkeley, say it’s the only known arachnid capable of directed free fall. Other arachnids, such as scorpions, pseudoscorpions, whip scorpions, and other types of spiders, simply fall to the Earth like a rock.

io9.com/good-lord-scie...

1 |

fuck no.. that means in roughly a few million years those fuckers will develop flight capabilities

1 |

nymag.com/scienceofus/...

0 |

Your score was 46 of 100.

This puts you in the category of the low Machs, people who will hold out for the goodness of the world and avoid manipulation. Not the people Machiavelli would approve of.

0 |

A Startup With No Website Just Announced a Major Fusion Breakthrough

A small startup has announced a major advance toward fusion power, the Holy Grail of energy that could rid us of fossil fuels forever. Tri Alpha Energy says it’s built a machine that can hold a hot blob of plasma steady at 10 million degrees Celsius for five whole milliseconds.

If Tri Alpha’s claim is true, then the company has managed to hold a superheated ball of plasma steady for an incredibly long time, in fusion terms. What’s more, they’ve done so using a rather unusual reactor design — a long, cylindrical tube that collides pairs of plasma donuts to produce enormous amounts of heat. The resultant plasma blob is then stabilized with beams of high-energy particles, as explained in the video below:

gizmodo.com/secretive-...

0 |

Haha only seeing this test thing now. Takki is not a cunt lol.

I got 68 of 100 and so i hate the world and am a cunt.

This puts you in the category of the high Machs, people who do not belive in the goodness of the world and that because that it must be manipulated, people who Machiavelli would approve of. 

0 |

...and that's about as close to a 69 as you'll ever get!

0 |

I had a machiavellian 69 with yer ma last night

0 |

This is very cool... www.quantamagazine.org...

The 'map' bit is the part at the top.

0 |

This Wooden Carving Is Twice As Old As The Pyramids

"The unusual carving, named the Shigir Idol, is believed to have been created by an ancient civilization for religious or spiritual purposes, and has a lost language carved into it that scientists are far from deciphering."

www.iflscience.com/pla...

0 |

How did wood survive that long?

I subscribe to theories that humanity is older than popular science says, especially if human tend to live near coasts and sea levels have risen.

0 |

0 |

neddac, did you see the Horizon called 'First Britons'? Very interesting and touches on your exact point, how a lot of ancient people would have lived on coastlines which are now many meters below sea level, and therefore lost. A good watch, 16 days left to watch on iPlayer...

www.bbc.co.uk/programm...

0 |

0 |

Wow
www.iflscience.com/hea...

0 |

"Facing something worse than death" fuck that shiy

0 |

Shit

0 |

www.iflscience.com/env...

0 |

Quantum "Weeping Angel" Effect Freezes Atoms in Place

"The paradox of Schroedinger’s Cat famously demonstrates that a quantum cat sealed in a box is both alive and dead at the same time until we look inside, at which point it becomes one or the other. Such is the weirdness of quantum mechanics. But if a mere act of observation determines the outcome of an experiment, what happens if we never look away? Answer: time effectively stands still."

gizmodo.com/quantum-we...

0 |

RJ, some space videos in 4K... SpaceRip 4K:

0 |

The Wonders of Pluto

0 |

A first draft of the "tree of life" for the roughly 2.3 million named species of animals, plants, fungi and microbes has been released.

www.pnas.org/content/e...

0 |

i.imgur.com/qffCRRA.jpg

1 |