Choose a discussion

Cool science shit

blogs.technet.com/b/ne... would love this as a coffee table

0 |

www.lockheedmartin.com...

Our compact fusion concept combines several alternative magnetic confinement approaches, taking the best parts of each, and offers a 90 percent size reduction over previous concepts,” said Tom McGuire, compact fusion lead for the Skunk Works’ Revolutionary Technology Programs. “The smaller size will allow us to design, build and test the CFR in less than a year.”

0 |

I love these What If's...

"When I was about 8 years old, shoveling snow on a freezing day in Colorado, I wished that I could be instantly transported to the surface of the Sun, just for a nanosecond, then instantly transported back. I figured this would be long enough to warm me up but not long enough to harm me. What would actually happen?"

what-if.xkcd.com/115

This is a good one too...

"What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90% the speed of light?"

what-if.xkcd.com/1

and this...

"How quickly would the ocean's drain if a circular portal 10 meters in radius leading into space was created at the bottom of Challenger Deep, the deepest spot in the ocean? How would the Earth change as the water is being drained?"

what-if.xkcd.com/53

0 |

the baseball one is pretty cool

0 |

I assume the enormous gravitational pull from the sun would have no effect on you if you spent a nanosecond on the surface

0 |

time is a function in F=ma, so you could work it out for yourself

0 |

The baseball one was brilliant

0 |

Go on smarty pants you do the maths and see if the gravitational pull of the sun would be enough to stretch out that nanosecond

0 |

Wat.

0 |

From your own frame of reference, a nanosecond is a nanosecond is a nanosecond.

0 |

But even then, I doubt the gravitational forces would be anywhere near strong enough to cause any noticeable time dilation.

0 |

But wouldn't the suns gravity stretch out that nanosecond ever so slightly

0 |

Its big enough to hold Pluto in orbit around it and fuck knows what else further out I'm pretty sure the gravity on the surface of it would be pretty mad

0 |

Yes, it would definitely have an effect, but probably not noticeable. The F5 button on your keyboard causes a minute amount of time dilation due to its tiny gravitational force pulling on you. Black holes have a noticeable effect on time, but they are objects with a mass greater than our sun, but packed into an infinitesimally small point, hence the huge gravitational forces, which then would cause the time dilation effects.

0 |

According to Wiki, the suns surface gravity is 28.02 compared to earth 1.

You pull more G's in car crashes for very small periods of time (probably more than a nanosecond too) but you certainly don't experience any time dilatation effects when you crash.

0 |

*any noticeable time dilatation effects

0 |

Waterfall flowing upwards due to wind...

0 |

What is the Evidence for Evolution?

0 |

Rupert Sheldrake's banned TED talk. 'The Science Delusion'

haven't seen that yet but Rupert's a bit of a Leg.

0 |

Choose your destiny in the multiverse

0 |

avlovs dog • 1 year, 1 month ago

makes me hope some day that the brown diamond will be realised...

www.iflscience.com/env...

it this how 'toad' feels?
next they replace the peanut butter with shit ...

0 |

New 5 part BBC documentary on quantum mechanics starting 9th December for anyone who's interested.

0 |

Oh I'll be getting that tivo'd whose hosting?

0 |

The main man, RJ...

0 |

neverr heard or seen him b4, hes no Cox but i shall be checking it out as Quantum Physics what little i understand of it is pure scifi stuff

0 |

Stanford University have a load of good lectures on quantum physics on their youtube account Course | Modern Physics:

Quantum Mechanics: www.youtube.com/playli...

Advanced Quantum Mechanics: www.youtube.com/playli...

0 |

ehh what? You've never seen any documentaries with Jim Al-Khalili?? I think he's better than Cox, tbh.

You obviously haven't seen the Everything & Nothing yet then, you n00b - documentaries-plus.blo...

Watch those, then see what you think of him.

1 |

Everything and Nothing is possibly the best doc I've seen of it's kind

0 |

Bought his book last year.. Paradox: The Nine Greatest Enigmas in Science. Some fascinating shite

0 |

looks like a bit of a read, but is potentially interesting...
www.citylab.com/design...

0 |

There's still hope for us, Muzak.

0 |

Hayabusa 2 is launching today!

"The Hayabusa 2 mission will send a spacecraft, three rovers and a small lander to the asteroid 1999 JU3, a space rock that is thought to contain water and organic material. It should take Hayabusa 2 about four years to reach the asteroid, then two more years to return samples of the space rock to Earth in late 2020, according to a JAXA mission description."

www.space.com/27885-ja...

0 |

this is cool space shit stuff takki ffs...

0 |

Accidental wrong thread post, RJ. Please accept my sincere apologies.

0 |

bad enough you stole my cool science thread nai you wont even post in my cool space thread...

0 |

First part of that new BBC4 documentary on quantum mechanics that I mentioned above is on tonight. Drinking game by Jim Al-Khalili to play while you watch too...

1 |

What time is that on takk

0 |

9pm, I think. Nearly sure it is.

0 |

missed this ffs, worth a catchup??

0 |

Yeah, def.

Watch Everything & Nothing first, though!

0 |

0 |

Worth a read after watching "The Secrets of Quantum Physics" doc...

Have We Been Interpreting Quantum Mechanics Wrong This Whole Time?
www.wired.com/2014/06/...

0 |

If they get this up and running commercially, it could be pretty cool... www.sciencealert.com/t...

0 |

Some light lunchtime reading...

Get your head around the 13 boldest ideas in science - www.newscientist.com/s...

0 |

0 |

The 12 most important moments in science in 2014

www.theguardian.com/sc...

0 |

5 predictions for the world in 2039 a date that most of us Allah willing get to see

www.fastcoexist.com/30...

0 |

The Hottest And Coldest Temperatures Allowed By Conventional Physics

Infographic: Absolute zero to ‘absolute hot’

www.bbc.com/future/sto...

0 |

The true size of Africa

www.iflscience.com/env...

0 |

I remember reading about the true size of Africa a while back. I didn't realize just how big it was. It's fucking majassive.

0 |

i remember some old housemates got weirded out by my peters projection a few years ago

0 |