Choose a discussion

Horror Child Abuse Story

horrific story of neglect of a child, its really long but its gets better as it goes on

www.tampabay.com/featu...

0 |

as a parent i think i'll pass reading up on how people can be evil towards children

0 |

Are you that easily led RJ?!

0 |

probably for the best

0 |

eh neddac?

0 |

summary?

0 |

woman leaves her daughter in a cupboard with no light, covered in her own shit, for 8 years. house is crawling in bugs, roaches, shite, piss everywhere while the fat bitch just sits there....child starts to make miraculous recovery with foster parents...etc

0 |

How many years did the ma get in jail?

0 |

zero

0 |

She in a mental home?

0 |

ok...so its great that this other couple felt able to adopt a child with such problems, and that there is some positives coming out of the story. But I can't help but feel that they shouldn't have decided to do that if it meant that they had to send their existing child to sleep in the laundry room. He seems understanding about it now...but how can you be allowed to adopt if you don't have the basic facility required to give that child a place to sleep without having to send your soon to sleep inbetween your washer and dryer :o/

0 |

from all that story contains, what a strange thing to focus on

0 |

I really don't think it is strange. Its fantastic that a child that started out in such a dire state was able to make movement towards a normal life, and its great that she now has a loving home.

Its pathetic that the state seems to have been powerless to hand out a suitable punishment to her mother, without making a deal that means she spends no time in prison, or in a suitable hospital (if she is mentally ill).

But its also not right to allow another child to be pushed aside in order for her progress to be enabled. The family new they wanted to adopt a daughter, they should have been responsible for ensuring they had a home that enabled them to do this without totally sidlining their son.

0 |

they probably didnt have a line of candidates looking to step up though

0 |

Why was the ma not jailed?

0 |

flash - she wouldn't give up her parental rights, to allow them to have her adopted. So they made a deal - give up your parental rights and we wont send you to prison.

0 |

Surely she shouldn't have a choice.

0 |

americans = mental

0 |

America.....Land of the free....home of the really really really fucked up!

0 |

yesh, that's what I meant in my 'powerless' statement. Here, they would just have a hearing to determine if the parental rights should be removed. Granted that route could potentially take years, and would have resulted in the child having to stay in temp foster care arrangements until the decision had been made. Obviously it shouldn't be quick and easy to take away someone's parental rights, but I think in this case it should have been pretty obviously the only conclusion.

0 |

i know, i mean god knows what 1000 horror stories are going on behind closed doors there...and anywhere i guess. that kidnap story from a few weeks ago was 30 seconds from my house

0 |

Kidnap story?

0 |

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

Oh yes remember now, crazy stuff.

0 |

I honestly believe soon as people like that get pregnant they should automatically be charged for abuse.

0 |

both mother and father.

0 |

to be honest that whole paragraph about their own son really puzzled me too-
I actually thought at that point the whole story was fake and a joke

0 |

cool story bro

0 |

Absolutely shocking case this:

Matthew Scully-Hicks, 31, shook Elsie Scully-Hicks and threw her down on floor

He denied murdering her but was found guilty by a jury after a four week trial

Murder came just two weeks after he adopted her with his husband Craig, 36

Social services face an inves, wait, what?

www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

0 |

Social services investigation will be standard procedure.

Such a heartbreaking story, been reading up on loads of similar cases over the last few weeks and each time can't help but put myself in the child's shoes and think what it must have been like. People three times your size beating you and nothing you can do or understand why it's happening. Actually giving me nightmares.

Not sure though why paper keeps referring to his sexuality

1 |

I try not to do that Muzka, can lead to depressing as fuck places.. kids are so innocent and trusting the actual thought of doing harm on them and for that fear to be in them is absolutely fucking heart breaking to think about, people who commit acts of violence on kids are fundamentally broken humans and should be put down

0 |

makes you sick thinking of that - my daughter is just that age. what the hell is going through somebody's mind in a case like that. do they get off on it?

1 |

the bit that kicks me is they fucking adopted her, it shouldve been obvious to all concerned that he harbored no love for the child nor could he cope and instead of trying to endure it he should've simply contacted social services and said this aint working she needs to go back as awful as it is but at least the kid would be alive ffs.. hopefully the cunt burns in prison

i get terrible guilt when i go all angry dad on my kids and you can see the look of fear in them so to imagine some cunt in my position without the restraint actually lashing out and physically abusing a child while its in that state o fear is just fucking nuts

0 |

What was his partner thinking? Grim all-round

Like you say...its like they are broken humans because it makes no sense

0 |

No idea how anyone can be cruel to kids. Animals, too. They must be extremely sick in the head or have had something terrible happen to them in the past that makes them not able to think about what they're doing properly.

They should put in CCTV into houses for 6 months or something post adoption. People could be all lovey dovey and spot on when they're around the social services and in the process of homing the kid, but they'd be far more likely to slip into their default mentality in their own home, when no social services are around, so it'd be a good way to help see the crazies that slip through the system.

0 |

I have to study cases for my course RJ, pretty grim. Rape, abuse and murder. Not much craic

0 |

Most who carry out these acts were victims of violence or abuse themselves. What's needed is better systems in place to help children who are victims and identify young people with mental health issues to prevent cycles continuing. Stop the issue before it becomes one by helping victims early enough before they become abusers.

Also cases or abuse within adoption families is rare and putting cameras in would make people feel victimised and under continued scrutiny causing less adoptions when that system is already struggling to find people willing to adopt.

In this case I'm wondering if the reports of shouting and verbal abuse came after the death in interviews or was it reported ? Also what was questioned or investigated when the child had unexplainable bruising.

1 |

Where was the mother's intuition that something was wrong in Craig?

0 |

Or even female intuition.

0 |

Are you trying to tell me there isn't a heterosexual couple willing to adopt in Cardiff, a reasonably sized city? Bigger questions at play here, indeed.

0 |

Surely if someone was wanting/desperate to adopt, having a couple of cameras up for six months (for the safety and welfare of the child) wouldn't be a put off unless they were worried their activities/actions would be seen as negative/improper, and if so, then would that not be a good thing that those people are then thinking twice about adopting, as they may not be in it for the right reasons.

Not sure how adopters would feel 'victimised' by having a couple of cameras up in the livingroom and kitchen for a few months for the safety of the child. The footage would only need to be looked at if there was any cause for concern, too i.e. "suffered a broken leg and mystery bruises".

0 |

24 hour camera surveillance in every room is not really something small especially after passing previous assesments and extreme action based on a rare occurrence.

Also cost and manpower in an already underfunded and understaffed area means other areas would suffer.

It would also be easy to carry out abuse outside the cameras. Nobody adopts a child to abuse it so it wouldn't prevent an abuser adopting.

A big thing is by observing you are saying there is potential for abuse and therefore you are technically putting a child in danger and a camera is of no use if someone cracks and attracts a child resulting in death. How often are they checked? A child may be abused for weeks before they are checked.

It's not a viable option, there needs to be more done to help those at a young age who are mentally damaged and may carry out criminal acts at a later age

1 |

Not to stereotype but he seems the highly strung flamboyant type.

Could be talking complete nonsense tho

He seemed so cool on the recorded calls. Psycho

0 |

Fair enough points. I'm not saying every room, just the main living areas of the house. WiFi cameras are dirt cheap these days and can be wall mounted with no marking wall sticker things. They can operate only when there is movement in the room, store the footage locally (privacy concerns), and would only need a wall plug for power.

I just think it would be a decent deterrent and could aid in gathering evidence in cases where adopters may not act in the same way when social services aren't around or the kids are getting 'mysterious bruises' etc. It may not catch every case, but it's bound to catch some, and surely that would be a good thing? And better than nothing or similar cases to the one mentioned above.

If it was me and I was an adopter, I'd not have a problem with a couple of cameras about the house for a while. I mean, it's for the protection of the kid after all. And if my main aim was to give the kid a better life/best chance possible, why would I feel that something put in place for the child's safety was a negative? I'd imagine the vast majority of adopters, who have no intention of cruelty/abuse, would feel that it was a reasonable requirement, also. What's the problem, especially if the footage is only used when needed due to issues appearing like strange bruising etc?

0 |

It's not a solution though and at a massive cost would have minimal impact.

What's needed is the issue tackled at source and the key here is prevention so we don't have to look into suspicious bruising in the first place.

It seems on paper like it would help but it would be impossible to put in place.

The focus should be on these people not adopting in the first place, not monitoring them after in case they may abuse.

Also 'if it were me' is never a way to judge these situations as it just oversimplifies it to your limited outlook when it is a huge complex issue. Best removing yourself and what you'd do from the picture.

1 |

And if doing that surely you would need every new parent that gives birth to have the same installed as there is higher abuse in natural families and most cases or sexual abuse are carried out by an existing family member.

1 |

could never work, too many privacy concerns and who in the fuck wants to nip down to the fridge in the early hours buck naked scratchin yer hole only to turn around to see a wee blinking red LED looking at yer wee sausage

1 |

The issue here takki isn't adoption, it's adults being violent to children.

When adopting you are assessed and it's not as easy as the media may make out. Of course like in this case it can fail but remember a lot of kids being adopted come from broken or abusive families. When having a kid you have to pass no assessment so it's far more likely to have an abusive parent in a birth family.

To spend potentially billions on what is generally a safer setting for a child is just wasting resources even though it may have minimal results.

People are having children that can't cope, that's the problem. That's why we have high levels of child abuse and why so many are adopted.

1 |

But sensationalist daily mail headlines focussing on his sexuality and blaming adoption agencies is just typical newspapers

Read this for an accurate report on child violence

www.nspcc.org.uk/preve...

0 |

The cost wouldn't be much (cameras are around £50 and anyone could stick one to a wall and they'd be reusable). An extremely small cost to potentially save the lives of some kids. They'd certainly cost less in the long run than court cases/legal bills or if things do go wrong and they do suspect the adopters of abuse/cruelty, it's better than having nothing to go on at all and spending a fortune on resources for numerous house calls were the offender just lies and acts innocent.

"The focus should be on these people not adopting in the first place, not monitoring them after in case they may abuse."

lol I doubt that social services are actively trying to get lunatics to adopt kids so of course the focus should be on these people not adopting in the first place. But, as we clearly see, they still do slip through occasionally. And there is probably no way of stopping the odd nut job from slipping through that process. So putting in place methods which may help *reduce* abuse/serious injuries/death shouldn't be an unreasonable step.

What privacy concerns though? I'd imagine the social services go through all your private matters pretty thoroughly anyway e.g. finances, background, previous convictions, home life/setup. Plus it's not for a long period, maybe just the first 6 months or something. Just enough time to maybe weed out any real bad eggs that maybe cant help themselves from being evil, just like the case above. Plus if the kid isn't getting broken legs and bruising suspiciously, then the footage would never need looked at. And it would obviously be important to have appropriate guidelines and regulations set out to ensure the proper use of the camera's/footage/evidence.

Although slightly different, cameras in regards monitoring care have proven successful in many cases and has been in the news loads of times in regards the elderly and the care they have got in their own homes or in care homes. There's plenty of instances where it has help protect the vulnerable. Quick search should bring up plenty of stories/info on that.

Had a wee look about for other articles/info on cameras in care and it does seem to be something that is being considered, also.

www.cqc.org.uk/news/st...

www.themdu.com/guidanc...

0 |

I love how stubborn you are on here. It's a shite idea that would never work lol

3 |