Choose a discussion

Bitcoin/Litecoin etc

Original thread gone?

Bitcoin back on the up today after a couple of days with very little movement.

Litecoin doing well still but down today a bit. It really needs gox to announce a date for thier trading engine to open, kinda in limbo at the mo it would seem

@leanne I havent looked into desktop/offline wallet software, is that something you are looking into?

0 |

He's the richest door to door double glazing salesman in town.

0 |

He's giving it all away to the victims of climate change

0 |

He used it to buy kilograms of meth on the dark web.

0 |

One of the above answers is close to the truth. Lets just say when i'm getting a Mr Whippy I don't stress about the flake. Get balls deep in IOTA lads, they have just announced they are going to make a significate announcement, price is getting ready to moon, currently $0.514

0 |

my heads melted trying to even figure out how to buy coins on thon site

0 |

iota
noun
a very small quantity; jot; whit

Named after the size of your bank account when the arse falls out of the market.

0 |

RJ the easiest/quickest way is through localbitcoins.com with a bank transfer. Transfer the BTC to bitfinex and execute a trade on there.

Clean/dirty I'm genuinely intrested in why you are so cynical towards crypto currency investment, or is it IOTA in paticular? It's far from a certain speculation, but I can give 7/8 reasons why I have put a few grand into it. I can also think of a few reasons why it won't pan out but I'm balance I'm bullish. That the price is still increasing ($0.529) even tho bitcoin has dropped a few % is to me very incouraging. Got a high of $0.62 last night. But I intend to put these coins in cold storage till 2020.

0 |

Good luck with that. As i said before there are 900 odd currencies with new ones popping up every week. In 5 years time i doubt there will be any value in 99% of them. Its purely speculation, get rich quick schemes. And the fact you are backing it just reinforces my opinion on it.

1 |

Will make a great new addition to the 50 page cv tbf

0 |

You have to speculate to accumulate. Which is what people did and made money off. People bet on football and lose every week. Crypto currency is no different. In db's case if we take it at face value, he and others did, and did well. I scoffed at BTC at the start, but despite volatility it's undeniable, that like any other traded commodity, you can make some dough off it. You can also lose a few pound.

0 |

i tried to buy $1000 worth when they were $8 each. Buying them back then was like pulling teeth, it involved sending dodgy western unions to strangers and praying. I cursed my luck when it got to $100+ and thought I'd missed out. But I eventually bought in when it was $300. I intend to sit on my coins until they're either $100,000 each, or $0.

0 |

i did spend some bitcoin on absolute shite over the years though because it felt like not spending. at current prices i spent about $1000+ on a shite piece of luggage i never use.

0 |

I know the feeling alegend, at todays prices I paid well over $20k for an 8ball and lost some obscene basketball bets. I always thought Bitcoin was a great Idea when I first started preaching about 8/9 years ago. But I never expected it to realize this level of potential in such a short period. My brother in law has made far far more than me, he was mining lightcoin flat out with several rigs for a couple of years.

I honestly believe the blockchain and the machine economy to be every bit as big as the internet. Decentralization is a revolution. Tradional industries: Work, energy, accomodation, transport, media - underpinning it all money. Those who ignore the blockchain are plain ignorant. It's easy to dismiss what you don't understand. Which is good because I will need people like CD and TJ to clean my Lambo.

It is an established asset class. Even the federal reserve launching it's own altcoin (Ripple/XPR). I can understand people thinking they missed the boat. I do sometimes. But if you look at it another way - PJ made the analogy of football betting and I largely agree with it - except buying into BTC now is like backing a team inplay 2-0 up. no doubt there will be a correction but I would take a major bet on bitcoin not dropping below $2500.

If you look at the non-profit iota foundation and actually see the challenges they have identifies and the solution they offer rather you will see value. iota.org

It's gone up 18% since I posted about it a couple of days ago - against a modest bitcoin pullback - and it's still only being traded on the 4th biggest exchange (out of 40 major ones). It's only been on the market for the last 7 weeks. Once the Chinese get a whiff... Anyway. Good luck whatever you do.

Here's a series of quotes/tweets from Naval Ravikant which I found very intresting. medium.com/the-naked-f...

Get your spit shine clothes CD & TJ - I want to see my reflection in those rims.

0 |

If you anyone is considering investing in IOTA this interview is essential as is reading the white paper -

0 |

Anyone buy any IOTA? Up 33.8% from Tuesday. I'm profit taking and converting rest to USD 12pm EST for the rest of weekend to buy back Monday afternoon. Crypto markets have traditionally slumped over weekends. I have no less faith in IOTA, but nobody ever went broke taking a profit.

0 |

Keep us updated m8. Post a few pics of your bank balance too so we can get really jealous and angry.

0 |

Believe it or not there are many people on here that go much further back and have infinitely more worthy opinions than slack jawed rapist apologists like you.

0 |

Ok. Not sure what that has to do with anything but I'm glad you got it off your chest.

0 |

"But I intend to put these coins in cold storage till 2020."

0 |

Lol you flops are brutal, what's so difficult about giving a bit of credit where it's due? I think you guys would of loved it if IOTA had tanked. But it didn't :)

It has surged over 49% from a suggested buy price a few days ago of $0.476 to currently $0.712. That's mad growth in 3 days. I still think it has only just begun but am happy to pull 33% of my equity and hold 120% of my intial investment. But never worry your wee heads about it.

Intresting videos recently - partnership with Volkswagon?

and IOTA Co-founder Dominik Schiener Tokyo Meetup (August 9, 2017)

0 |

Saw that dm was gonna throw a few quid at it prob still will when i get paid

0 |

Yea do, the price is tanking at the moment 0.578, but thats to be expected after 49% in 3 days and it's a good time to buy. The price right now is, relatively, irrelevant. It's actually groundbreaking new technology. Wether IOTA is the 'token' to seamlessly intergrate it with the iot who knows, I think its looking good for them. Inital coin offering off only $500,000 to a $1.81b market cap in 58 days is impressive, massive real world partnerships, launched in Switzerland to very little hype . Be interesting to discuss the implications. Apart from Etherium it is the only new 'ground up' design for an asset class that I can see anyway. And as any one who uses btc fairly often, the blockchain is choked. Fees you begin to resent and which will only increase, waiting a good hour for transactions and for a completely decentralized currency - it is seeming pretty damn centralized in the Sichuan provence of China (which was hit by a massive eathquake yesterday)

I've been reading the white paper and tbh my heads a bit melted
iota.org/IOTA_Whitepap...

Imperial college London seem to be taking a keen intrest as well
www3.imperial.ac.uk/ne...

Best of luck!

0 |

And here I was thinking solar was where it was at.

0 |

An best of luck till my wee Chinese buddies caught up in the quake

0 |

TJ I could eduacte or ignore you. Or take the piss out of you - it's all good. If you have a genuine objective question though I would try and answer it.

0 |

I hate it when people take the piss, so please just eduacte me instead m8.

0 |

BUUUUZZZZZ totally subjective retort - you lose 39 credibility HP's

0 |

Ok.

0 |

'TJ retreats to the wooded area to wonder wtf is going on'

0 |

No

0 |

iotaprice.com

0 |

What's the best way to go about investing in this?

0 |

Carefully

1 |

IOTA yeilds 100% return on investment in 7 days. Bought at $0.476 trading $0.952. Thoroughly expect it to push the $5 mark as it's traded on more exchanges. Lambo's ahoy.

coinmarketcap.com/curr...

0 |

How much did you buy?

0 |

Be sure to post a pic of you on the bonnet of your "Lambo". That'll really make us peasants jealous.

0 |

$3000 takki - took $1000 out when 50% up, leaving the rest to run. There's nothing to be jealous of here TJ - I stated exactly what I was doing and when.

0 |

Still think its an exceptional investment. Virtually no media hype, it come from nowhere to 5th/900+ largest cryptocurrency in 2 months of trading. It's revolutionary technology.

0 |

www.upress.umn.edu/boo...

0 |

Fuck. Haven't checked Litecoin prices in a while, but they're up around £32 at the moment.

0 |

ANyone got a simpletons guide to accessing or buying IOTA....seems all mass gobbledygook to me

0 |

Set up a bitcoin wallet. Buy bitcoin on Coinbase. Use that to buy IOTA.

As one BTC is thousands...can you buy in cuts of BTC? No idea

0 |

Yeah, you can.

0 |

That's looking like a really intresting book Dairebhoy. Just to preface, when I speak of IOTA its as an enthusiast and definately not an authourithy.

Cambridge, Berkley, UCL, Imperial College London, Norways NVNQ plus many more universities all have departments focused on developing the non-profit IOTA foundation.

IOTA was a founder member of The Internet of Things Alliance - which Ironically held its May conference in Belfast.
eiota.ne

I was amazed to see among the list of patrons NIE, Northern Ireland water, the N.I esatablishment - For NIE to ingage in any form of marketing never mind they endorsing any form of change - getting them to perform a commercial PV line survey (for which they were paid £2000 for a half days work) was like pulling teeth and often took 2/3 months

Side ancedote of one real world example - a couple of years back I was moon lighting for a local peak shaving start up. The premise was fairly simple - we will reduce your power comsuption at source from 240v to 220+/- 5%. In practise this was an ordeal - a month of manually measuring draw from each 3 phase, plotting usage and sine waves, configuring a filing cabniet sized peice of equipment, constant remote mointoring and monthy physical inspection -

All to drop 20 volts - yet even with the £8000 install and £200 p/m servicing it still offered a realistic ROI for paper mills, super markets, granery stores. I sold 2, but damn it was all uphill and a thankless task. At the time I thought this is like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg.

Another example would be the EKO solar inverters, when people asked simply how do they remote mointor them the option was a $500 rs485 usb interface, bespoke software and time. I found a supplier in China and ordered 40 rs485 USB for $3 each. That was 2 years ago and I still have... 40 rs485 dongles.

Again With Power NI we offered a RF moinitor for £200, but there would be a call out maybe once a week because a tv/clock radio/something was interfering. Time and money.

All this inevitably ties to smart metering.. IOTA is not a shadowy, anonymous asset like Bitcoin - it's intrinsic purpose is to provide a standardised, intergeral, no fee ledger, with a GUI that can be automated amongst the 'internet of things'. A form of payment is required to access the data but that can be 1/100th of a cent, takes place in real time, prevents spamming the network, an ASIC holds a packet size of 2048bytes and uses a process of 'snapshotting' to complete approx +200,000 transactions a second. By contrast VISA completes 2000 a second.

If IOTA works, the real money will not be in currency speculation - the value does it offer the end consumer and how well can this protocol's virtues be verbalise against excepted norms. how much of a premium will the market bare for the intergration of this 'free' protocol to my companies solution. How much does the ASIC hardware in full regional compliance cost exactly. And what potentials arise for recuring income.

In 2020, 20.4b internet enableabled 'things' will be installed, with 64% of them in consumer applications. Total spending on endpoints and services will reach $3.4 trillion in 2020.

I understand 'the tangle' being based on Ternary rather than binary language make the of IOTA language quantum resistant - and 'truely' decentralized in a way that the fundamental physic's regarding the block chain - bottle necks, fees, massive scaleability problems. They can form localised networks and do not require the bandwidth of other cryptocurrencies as they can maintain an intranet ledger that only needs to reconcile when given access to the net

(the more I've studied IOTA the less inclinded I am to refer to it as a currency and more a protocol) As far as I can understand that for IOTA to work it requires an ASIC intergrated. I really would like to know more about this ASIC..

I beleve currency speculation is the tip of the iceberg when it comes IOTA - bottom line is how much of a premium can I charge for offering an intergrated GUI ledger system to my product offerings? What % of that premium is based on customer affectation, what % is real world saving/utility, what is the cost of not offering it.

It's been a very bareish 24hrs right across the board on crypto currencies today - Billions have been wiped of the top 10 crypto currencies - the only one still showing massive gains in the 5th spot is IOTA with an increase of 6.44%

coinmarketcap.com

Certain people think, oh they are all ridiculous, there's over 900 of them - however the entire crypto market cap is
$135,14B - the marketcap of the to 10 is - $116,38B. The rest are shit coins I wouldn't touch with Mark Folwers dick. Putting those numbers into perspective, VISA has a market cap of $230.71B - crypto has only existed maybe 6 years, VISA is 59 years old

0 |

If anyone wants bitcoins I can sell them some on here direct to your bitfinex address. From there you can trade into IOTA. If you use my affiliate code that gives you and me 10% of trading fee's - They are 0.001%. If you plan to buy and hold the amount is negligable. I can provide guidence regarding moving IOTA of the exchange and into your private wallet. This is the link to set up your Bitfinex account to recieve bitcoin. www.bitfinex.com/?refc...

I won't back on line for a while. Spent to long writing the above post. Best of luck

0 |

The coins all have their own USP. Just a variation on a theme. So some might not have the intrinsic reducible supplying bitcoin for example. Bitcoin was always designed with an end point built in. A Gen One crypto. One I heard about processes and pays out coins in batches on the ledger so adds another level of anonymity, which if you had a real need for that you could trade into it, make your transaction then back out into bitcoin. So to say they are all just investment scams is not really understanding what they are doing or being used for

0 |

(again as far as I can discern) There are are only 3 core technologies - Bitcoin created by enigmatic Satoshi Nakamoto. The first and groundbreaker of blockchain technology. Visionary conception, spawned a 1000 imitators. Having trouble existing in the 'real' world, due to miners finacially motivated to keep blockchain verification prices and transaction times long (sending bitcoins is taking much longer and is much more expensive). Also in-fighting within the Bitcoin community caused the Aug 2nd Fork where 16,508,062 BTC - became 33,016,124.

Well not quite - 16,508,062 Bitcoin Cash tokens (BCH) were created. If you have BTC and have not extracted the BCH from them it's worth doing - they are worth around $300 each. Point is there is nothing to prevent this happening again. Time taken to transfer any amount of btc - over an hour, around 3/4 transactions a second. Cost for any amount, as much as a £1

Genusis Vitalik Buterin further evolves the blockchain with Ethererum, block chain smart contracts, completely transparent - which I had more time to go into it but an amazing concept. However still around 50 transaction, miners taking there (increasing) cut.

IOTA created by David Sønstebø, Sergey Ivancheglo, Dominik Schiener - no miners, Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) using a ASIC (application specfic intergrated circuit) expotentially increased security and transaction speed without any miner fees.

All other coins are variants BTC and ETH with spin, marketing and social media leverage. Nobody carrys one currency for one product - except maybe store cards- but all the technology to anonomise is present in the block chain (via tumbler, chargebacks etc)

IOTA clones are inevitable however to make HELLA BANK they need to roll out their ASIC's amongst as many manufactures as quickly as possible.

Really late now Furrrrk

0 |

looks like an IOTA flash crash from $0.99 to $0.76. Buying a $1000

0 |

"transaction times long"

so that was addressed by litecoin I think, many have implemented little fixes or introduced new functionality which they hope will be more attractive for adoption in the real world.

this seems a good high level on the differences:

www.quora.com/What-are...

0 |

Even litecoin takes an unrealistic time to transfer, 10-20 minutes, as (like bitcoin) it needs up to 7 block confirmation. Bitcoin is just slow and fucking annoying. I wanted to transfer £600 to my bitfinex acc to take advantage of the $0.75 flash crash on IOTA - Even though I only need 3 block confirmations, being a regular user of Bitfinex, It still hasn't bloody confirmed and the price is back up to $0.857. Very annoying

0 |