Choose a discussion

Bitcoin/Litecoin etc

Original thread gone?

Bitcoin back on the up today after a couple of days with very little movement.

Litecoin doing well still but down today a bit. It really needs gox to announce a date for thier trading engine to open, kinda in limbo at the mo it would seem

@leanne I havent looked into desktop/offline wallet software, is that something you are looking into?

0 |

I'm betting you right now that we will not be mining asteroids in our lifetimes. The logistics of it are, literally, off the planet. They can talk it up with who's investing and how much money, all they want. It's a long, long way off.

0 |

tคккเรςђเtt today @ 10:06 a.m.
What I said was that an actual haul is a while off, but that they will probably get to an asteroid and mine/sample it in our lifetimes.

Oh no you didn't!

tคккเรςђเtt yesterday @ 11:05 p.m.
There are a number of companies planning to get the ball rolling in the asteroid mining research with the next couple of years. Obviously an actual haul is still a while off, but it will probably happen in our lifetimes.

0 |

lol

0 |

I accept your revised thinking, though! :¬D

0 |

Kev, are you actually blind to everything but what you want to see? what is the difference in those two comments you've copy and pasted?! They're virtually identical!

If you read and look at those links I posted you'd see that there ARE companies starting research and that there ARE plans to go to asteroids in the next 50 years!

This is the exact same as every converse you're involved in on here. You think that you know best, no matter what, even when the proof is right in front of you, you'll blank it so that your opinions are all that you see. It's actually a little bizarre.

You actually think you know better than the likes of NASA scientists and multi billion dollar enterprises from just sitting trawling blogs every night lol. What a joke!

0 |

Landing on asteroids my ballicks, sure they can't even land on the moon ffs

0 |

If you asked someone in the 1950's would man be on the moon in 20 years, they'd have laughed they're asses off.

0 |

"Since the dawn of the new millennium, NASA has also sent several missions to explore asteroids. Multiple probes have completed flybys of asteroids on their way to other planets, and two missions have launched specifically to study asteroids. NEAR (Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous)-Shoemaker became the first spacecraft to orbit and touch down on an asteroid when it reached the asteroid Eros in 2000 and descended to its surface in 2001, and in July 2011, the Dawn spacecraft became the first probe to enter orbit around an object in the main asteroid belt when it reached the asteroid Vesta. Having completed its investigation of Vesta, Dawn is now on its way to our solar system’s largest asteroid, Ceres."

0 |

Exactly like I said, ballicks :-)

0 |

Funny how we landed on the moon 40 years ago and yet have never been back since despite all the tech advances. Suppose it did look a bit shit up there like didn't it...why would ye

0 |

shit weather, worse food

0 |

Because up until now, the main space missions have all been governmental and constricted by money, politics, technological and efficiency issues etc. now that private companies are entering the field, things will start being able to change direction from solely research, to research and commercial endeavours. Look at Space X. They're in development of rockets that can do FAR more than what the space shuttle could do (their rockets can lift much heavier payloads) and ar FAR smaller costs. The moon has just been 'put to the side' while other far more interesting and, potentially, valuable avenues are explored.

0 |

This i going to be another long post, so if you're not interested, skip on by. Just want to make my points crystal clear here to Kev as I can't be bothered going round in circles with him...

My comment...

"There are a number of companies planning to get the ball rolling in the asteroid mining research with the next couple of years."

The facts...

"Planetary Resources’ mission is clear: apply commercial, innovative techniques to explore space. We will develop low-cost robotic spacecraft to explore the thousands of resource-rich asteroids within our reach. We will learn everything we can about them, then develop the most efficient capabilities to deliver these resources directly to both space-based and terrestrial customers. Asteroid mining may sound like fiction, but it’s just science."

My comment...

"Obviously an actual haul is still a while off, but it will probably happen in our lifetimes."

The facts...

"Four billionaires are backing a newly unveiled asteroid-mining venture, adding to an impressive list of ultra-rich people trying to reshape spaceflight and exploration in the 21st century.
Planetary Resources, Inc. — which on Tuesday (April 24) officially revealed its plans to extract water and metals from near-Earth asteroids — counts Larry Page, Eric Schmidt, Ross Perot Jr. and Charles Simonyi among its investors.
Each man is worth $1 billion or more, according to recent estimates by Forbes magazine, with Google execs Page and Schmidt having about $16.7 billion and $6.2 billion to their names, respectively. Filmmaker James Cameron, worth $700 million or so, is advising the project, which seeks to both turn a profit and spur the further exploration and exploitation of space."

My view - these guys aren't going to live forever, and they'll want to keep things moving forwards at a rate which might let them see as much of the fruits of their work within THEIR lifetimes, which is probably not far off ours.

and

"Asteroid mining (or something similar) is already likely to become a necessity at some point in the future, as human technology continues to use up Earth’s resources. Meanwhile, asteroids are plentiful and full of usable metals and other resources, meaning that any successful asteroid mining venture could stand to become very wealthy."

and

"In a departure from the science fiction film's crusade to save Earth from a wayward asteroid, NASA's ambitious plan is to develop the first-ever mission to identify, capture and relocate a 500-ton asteroid by 2025."

Therefore, my reasoning behind that comment is as follows. Based on the amount of missions planned, the huge commercial interest in them, the finite lifespans of the billionaires involved, the fact that probes have ALREADY been to asteroids AND touched down on them so it is completely possible to get to them already, the fact that a hell of a lot can happen in 40-50 years (especially considering the speed of advances in technology, new materials, computing) this leads me to believe that there will PROBABLY be some sort of mining of an asteroid within our lifetime. Now, by mining, I don't mean sucking an entire asteroid dry, I mean that a probe or ship will land on an asteroid and successfully mine some material from it.

If this isn't clear enough for, or you still choose to point blank refuse to see the facts, then I worry for your sanity and think you should probably lay off on the negative and self defeating outlook you have for humanity and maybe start having some faith in what we can achieve. If you spoke to anyone during the 2nd World War and told them about everything that we have now, they'd have thought you were bonkers... yet here we are.

0 |

Sorry, call be negative here takki, but just because a few billionaires are throwing money into this is no reason to believe it will happen. You have to talk about the logistics not about how much what it costs. We know it will be expensive. Also, just because we have iPhones does not bring mining asteroids into the realm of possibility. That again is just a subjective belief on your part more useful for Hollywood than discussing where man is or even should go.

0 |

I was just clarifying my initial comment RP, which I think is valid based on what I have shown there.

Obviously there are many huge logistical issues, but there is nothing there which we couldn't do, even now, if we had to (probes have already been to asteroids).

My comment that it will probably happen in our lifetimes is of course my own opinion, but I think I have backed it up with enough real world evidence that it is a perfectly acceptable opinion to have. It's perfectly easy to sit and say things are unlikely, but where will that get us? JFK put it out there to get a man on the moon in just ten years back I'm 1960, and in 9 years, we did.

0 |

And that was without the knowledge, tech, finance and commercial interests that are with us today.

0 |

takki on the space rage here, about to lose it

don't ruin this thread with duelling handbags pls m8

0 |

Lol, no rage with me. in this instance, unlike most others, i know enough to form reasonably based comments and opinions based on actual facts, not proxy facts

anyway, tomorrow evening is the time rage and feuds

0 |

sunday night football rage. lol

0 |

i'm gonna need a good feud to distract me from the assignment i should have started hours ago

0 |

Tomorrow evening sounds like a good time to pick your brains then.

0 |

ffs

0 |

I suppose its up for debate. Wouldn't like to see any public money going into such ventures...these ventures should be left to tickle the imagination of playboy billionaires who can then sell their product to fellow billionaires when they return with the bounty of kryptonite

0 |

cryptonite, get it right! ;)

0 |

Why would you not like to see public money go into it? Are you against public money being used to study the cosmos also then?

0 |

Why is everyone now more concerned about mining asteroids than the whereabouts of my bit coins fds

0 |

They could well be on an asteroid by now, Leanne. This is for your benefit.

0 |

Ok guys need a little advice here.

I have just sold one of my litecoins for £50 on ebay. I stated I would only accept bank transfer of the funds as method of payment. The guy that bought it though paid through paypal. Unfortunately there was no way to take paypal off as a method of payment on ebay so it has gone through. I have heard that people are paying for litecoins through paypal on ebay and scamming folks out of money. Should I let it go or can I reverse the deal? This is all knew as its my first sale ffs.

0 |

Definitely don't let it go! You will NEVER see your money.

I'm surprised eBay are allowing the sale of coins.

You may be now tied in to sell though with eBays T&C. Who said to sell through eay?

0 |

Reason why they bought it for £50 is because they know they'll never give you the £50, and if you do get it, it'll be paid for with stolen credit card details, but once your coin is gone, you'll not get it back.

0 |

You got your money? If yes give the coin and stop being so paranoid.

0 |

Don't ffs. All the person has to do is raise an issue with eBay saying you never sent them it and you will have to give the money back.

0 |

ah ffs. Yeah i had heard it was a bit dodgy but could be done via bank transfer. So even if they agree to bank transfer and I get the money in my account I still shouldn't do it? It just seems like a huge melt to sell these bloody things!

0 |

So can I not now cancel the transaction with this guy on ebay? There's no fucking way he's getting it well unless I get the money into my bank account via bank transfer.

0 |

Well going by Talkki's logic which is accurate about the dispute thingy, doesn't matter about payment method, they can claim no delivery. Seems like a whole load of hassle, selling them, buying them the paranoia. Wouldn't be arsed myself.

0 |

Talkki's logic will apply to bank transfer as well. eBay could force you to return the money probably.

0 |

Not sure what way it would work in regards bank transfer. If the money came from a hacked bank account or whatever, they may want it back from you. There will be a record of the money going to you, but nothing on where the lite coin has gone. £50 is way too high for a coin, sounds like its someone just looking to get product, without following through with payment or else the payment method is stolen details or something.

Why are you wanting to sell them anyway?

0 |

forum.litecoin.net/ind...

0 |

Just was happy to let a couple go to cover my initial investment. Was testing the water by just starting with one on there. Seems very tough to become a verified seller anywhere else. Bloody melt TBH!

How would you proceed from here Neil if you had been silly enough to do what i've done lol?

0 |

Try and cancel the transaction and take the feedback hit maybe? Ddb you specifically say in your description bank transfer only? That might hold you in good stead with eBay and could mean you don't have to take whatever it is eBay do when you cancel a sale. After reading Takkis link, he's probably right about not going ahead with it just to be safe.

0 |

Not sure mate. You could just ignore it all, but your eBay account will probably be closed as you didn't pillow through with the agreed sale.

0 |

Don't care about bad feedback as I'm 100% but to lose my account would be pretty bad as I do use it the odd time to buy stuff. Hmm

0 |

I was thinking of issuing them a refund. I suppose I still lose the 10% sale fee but hardly a big deal. Learning experience.

0 |

I've been stung when selling a mobile phone on eBay. Sold it, got the money into my PayPal account, moved it to my bank, sent phone recorded delivery, all good, few weeks later eBay contacted me and said the eBay account had been hacked and I had to give the money back, I said no as I've already sent the phone and had proof, they said it doesn't matter, I said fuck off, they passed my 'debt' on to a credit agency and I got plagued for months until they started court proceedings, then I had to give he money back.

It was a fucking ball ache, and that was with a physical product with proof of postage and an address where the phone was sent.

0 |

If you don't want to lose our account, try saying that you made it clear you only accepted bank transfer and see how it goes. I'd say the worst that can happen is bad feedback.

0 |

Aye, refund it and see if they complain. They might just let it drop, especially if they're up to no good themselves.

0 |

I told him to do one lol. I suppose I should just refund his £50 now. Or should I keep it and make him go through the hassle of trying to get it back? He'll prob give me bad feedback regardless.

0 |

I did ask him why he paid via paypal when i clearly stated i would not accept it.

0 |

Just go through the process of cancelling it. eBay should give you the steps to do.

0 |

Sounds very fishy mate! Great stuff that you didn't send it!

0 |