Choose a discussion

Victor Ortiz vs Andre Berto postponed again fs -http://www.boxingscene.com/victor-ortiz-if-berto-t-make-june-23-ill-move-on--50407

0 |

he was hardly on the ropes. he'd taken a few good punches, fair enough, but it wasnt a sustained attack.

0 |

You can't defend that stoppage. what Groves said was spot on.

Froch could have went on to end the fight later on but groves deserved to go on, it's a world title fight. He wasn't out on his feet, he was trading back with his hands over his head. He wasn't on queer street taking flushers while not defending himself. Between not taking points off and that horrendous stoppage, ref was way of his depth.

0 |

Jesus if you stop a fight every time a fighter gets hurt what's the point. It was the first time in the fight he looked in proper trouble. Froch was in trouble in near every one of the first 4 or 5 rounds.

0 |

he was hardly on the ropes. he'd taken a few good punches, fair enough, but it wasnt a sustained attack.

Bullshit. I know more about boxing than everyone else. In realtime it looked like a harsh stoppage, if you watch the replays it was fair enough

Don't make me start dropping boys

0 |

Evening if it was ebbing and flowing you can maybe argue he wasn't gonna come back this time, but it was literally the first time in the fight that Froch was on top. Add that to the judges card and how could you even attempt to argue that?

0 |

you must not know much if you think it was fair muzak1 ;)

As gherks said froch hurt loads of times and that was a heavy heavy knockdown where he was out on his feet. Ref out of his depth, was sucked in by reputations. Smith was talking about the ref that last 2 rounds, he just watching groves the whole time, almost as if he was waiting to jump in once froch landed anything decent, which he did exactly, pure bullshit. If any one is happy with that stoppage you're watching a the wrong sport.

Don't even get me started on the judges

0 |

Do reckon that's it Baz, ref was just poor and made the wrong call? Or is there a bigger picture behind it? Does this happen often?

0 |

Basically me and ref are experts, baz hasn't a clue, he probably thought Rogie could continue last week

0 |

poor trolling here muzak1 as you can't be that thick to compare tonight with that rogie KO.

How much you win on froch?

Was way out of his depth tonight. between not deducting points and generally letting froch away with illegal stuff most of the fight, then that laughable stoppage, he lost his head a bit. the fight was getting tasty too.

0 |

LOLz @ Muzka

0 |

I'm not that thick, my point is that you are.

And you're dead if anymore back chat

0 |

lolz @ muzka1

0 |

Froch couldn't even remember being knocked down in the first in the post fight interview

0 |

Had Froch 7-9, yes, didn't think that one was coming up

0 |

Absolute fix

0 |

Your right MTB was a disgrace. Watched the fight again this morning and froch never landed a meaningful punch until that round

0 |

Any links to watch this again?

0 |

So if the ref didn't stop it what do yiz think was gonna happen?

0 |

he was going down, no doubt. correct decision, although i can understand the points being raised about breaking it and letting him fight on to see what would have happened. he did look in a dangerous position tho. you could see the shape of him seconds after it was stopped, he tried to hide it.

deffo a rematch, which froch will win. he is the harder of the two men. looked tougher as the fight went on. took a good battering and will be ready for it again in the rematch.

0 |

another round. let it go on. it wasn't a beating. It's boxing, he get a break end of round, he could have got back to his jab and froch have missed his chance. fighting comes in patterns. he deserved a chance based on the previous rounds in the fight and considering he wasn't fucked and taking a sustained beating. he wasn't even taking heavy shots and not defending himself. He deserved the opportunity go on his back if that was the case. he might not get another opportunity like that again for a huge win against one of Britons best in a world title fight.

Stoppage looks even worse even today.

froch got wobbled more in the fight, caught with cleaner flush punches during exchanges.

Would you have been ok if he got stopped first round even? Groves was correct in what he said about reputations.

I don't care too much for both fighters but that was bullshit.

0 |

Underestimated Groves. I think he will win a rematch as well. Groves will prob get pulled for drugs now before the next fight.

0 |

he took a good few shots just before it was stopped. the videos i seen were not very clear tho, i watched it on a free link. but groves did look like he was leaving himself open, which was dangerous.

fair play to him tho. was a good fight. froch didn't look like much, but defo the tougher of the two men. thought it was gonna go like that after watching a few rounds. groves tired himself, and iron chin froch took advantage.

like i say, i get it why groves would be pissed off, but i think he was fucked, and can understand why the ref stopped it. a lot of people don't seem to see this tho. maybe thats why im not a boxing referee lol.

0 |

Leaving himself open? Froch was leaving himself open from the first bell and not just open, taking flush digs as baz said. Groves still had his guard up and was throwing punches back. If you are stopping the fight for the digs Groves took then you have to apply the same standard to Froch and it should have been stopped earlier. The ref should be impartial and past reputations relating to chins etc shouldn't be a factor.

0 |

haha @ Justim still looking to argue himself in to stupidity based on a shit stream with no replays

0 |

Watched it back. It shouldn't have been stopped indeed.

0 |

I was just pissed as it came out of no where, and was against the grain of what was happening in the fight up to then. he deserved the right to go out on his back if that was going to happen if he went on in the fight. 3 months training, 9 rounds of a fight and a ref pulls you out after never going down while swinging back and keeping your hands up protecting yourself. I actually thought the ref was just jumping in because he said break ha

that right will take loads out of froch last night. he is 36.

0 |

groves was going to get hurt. correct decision. the link i was watching rewinded the last minute or so of the fight about 7 or 8 times. plenty of replays.

0 |

agree on the ref shold have deducted points off froch a few times. even on the break before it was stopped, froch actually reached over the ref as he was pushing groves back and connected pretty sweet. iirc. did the ref see it tho? he did have his back to froch. was a sneaky one. dirty fight at times.

0 |

ah so we'll stop the fight on a hypothetical guess that has nothing to do with the previous 8 rounds. theyre probably looking for a new ref out there in the boxing community too

its class how far people are willing to argue their way into an ever embarrassing hole round here, cause their first original rash decision was completely misguided and cant back down

Lad's the best example of this obviously

0 |

That's if and but stuff justim.

it shouldn't be stopped on what happened previous before the ref jumped in . Again that pure reputation based your opinion on froch previous fights and groves being the unknown. he was no where near as hurt as froch in the fight.

0 |

its class how far people are willing to argue their way into an ever embarrassing hole round here, cause their first original rash decision was completely misguided and cant back down

exactly what i think about the wank fest going on about the stoppage atm.

people feel hard done by as groves was winning the fight and are blinded at the fact it was stopped for a good reason.

maybe ill change my mind when i see some HD footage.

link?

0 |

why not just take the word of every single person who watched it, including ex boxers, people who watched it live in the flesh, and basically Froch who was near admitting it by the end, instead of basing it on a bad stream, no replays and probably on in the background and not really paying attention.

wouldnt that make more sense?

0 |

i can make my own mind up. tho thanks for the advice.

0 |

Don't let these guys wear you down tim, stick with your judgement. Can totally see were referee was coming from.

That decision may favour Groves in long-term, if that fight continues and Froch KOs him then the chances of a re-match are slim.

0 |

yous are two lunatics ha

0 |

every ex boxer, pundit, any one involved in the sport called it bullshit. Not to say that it makes it correct but literally every one from fans, to i mean nearly everyone are saying the same thing. I actually got my prediction nearly right as me and the mate bet 10th round froch.

also you're writing cheques you can't cash muzak1, back of castle court, we get a brew after it

0 |

that dick Bunce said hes never seen unanimous indignation like it on twitter last night. but id say Tim's probably still right

0 |

you love it utah. keep 'er lit.

0 |

"LITERALLY everyone saying the same"

So from about 7 people commented in this thread at least 2 have said different.

"every ex boxer, pundit, any one involved in the sport called it bullshit"

Give me 10 mins and i'll debunk that line also

0 |

its ok Muzak, it doesnt matter if you back down, none of us know each other, youre pride will only get a quick sting, just admit you made a mistake such was your zeal for an argument, youve looked a bit silly but are man enough to admit when youre wrong

0 |

Every boxing forum I've been on said same thing, website, it's an overwhelming opinion.
I mean the crowd reaction, the commentators, online, everything practically called it bad. Stevie Collins on the stream was right, froch could have went on to stop him but after all the training and now good he was in the fight he deserved to go out on his back if they was the case.

Of course I could sit her and look to defend it and agree with you's, and like everything I could feel reasons to suit my argument but it was wasn't a stoppage for reasons laid out. come on lad you've watched enough boxing to see horrendous stoppages and people literally taking 50 punches over load of rounds they didn't need to take. This wasn't even near that. ref actually ruined a great fight as well. the way the judging was going groves practically had to KO him you'd think to win last night.

Only reason I see for people agreeing with it is based on froch reputation which isn't how you call fights. should be based on what's actually going on in the fight.

0 |

Graeme Durrant · Chellaston School
Groves took at least five flush power shots in the space of seconds. In any fight you know the guy on the receiving end of that is in trouble. He had already ducked below the belt line and turned his back in previous rounds, clear signs of being in trouble. When Froch got up he wasn't sitting on the ropes or ducking low and didn't eat consecutive big hits, that's the difference. The ref saved a gassed Groves further punishment IMO, and ensured he can go on to what is clearly going to be a fantastic career based on that gutsy, skilful showing.

Irvine Welsh ‏@WelshIrvine 15h
Watching the replays, the ref got it right. It was a tough stoppage on Groves, but sometimes fighters need protected from themselves.

Dylan Downey ‏@dylandowney95 3h
The more you watch the replay the ref was right,if a fighter cant defend himself the the ref has to. #kingFroch #ironchin

Adam Thomas ‏@Adam_ThomasMUFC 5h
Still stand by my word that it was the right decision by the ref @StGeorgeGroves didn't know where he was & @Carl_Froch was about to end it

oladeinde daniel ‏@oladeindedanie1 1h
@lokodee Yeah the ref was right Groves would have been brutally ko the ref probably saved Groves carrer

Mark Wallace ‏@markpwallace 1h
@conchuirmac I watched again this morning. He turned on Froch and was open to damage. Ref to hasty but might of been right

favourite son ‏@favouriteson 1h
I was the only 1 in the room 2 think the ref stopped Groves getting hurt badly and was right last night. Carl Froch was a prick after tho

Tom Derivan ‏@tomderivan73 1h
@Boriniiiiiiiiii @davey33safc it needs pointing out. Easy to slag the ref straight after the fight but in the cold light of day he was right

H C (signed in using Hotmail)
"A glorious ending was taken away from Froch and Groves was robbed of his chance to recover, as the crowd reacted furiously and turned on the champion as the ring was invaded."

This from the website that only a few days ago was wringing its hands over another brain-damaged boxer.

Groves was hit at least five times flush in fast succession. He had covered up and was fleeing blindly, which sent him barreling into the ref. The man had had enough, but not enough to suit the bloodthirsty fans and your bloodthirsty writer.

"Glorious ending." You're hypocrites at the Ring. Please don't talk to us in future about your phony concern for fighters.

0 |

Back down from what, Utah.

This is what I said lastnight..

'People need to look closer at that stoppage, it wasn't really that bad. Groves took 5 massive shots and had no defense.
You can't let a fighter get murdered'

Standy by it 100%. Doesn't mean I didn't wanna see the fight go on, I was raging myself

0 |

haha at actually going to dig out comments from such astute boxing experts as Irvine Welsh, one saying he probably 'saves groves carerr' and another hashing 'kingfroch'

this is getting progressively worse for you man

0 |

even that last tweet is totally indifferent, this is desperate stuff Muzzy Isnt

0 |

haha

come on lad, 5 flushers lol

0 |

Utah just can't accept rejection of his opinions, takes it all to heart.

'Ah come on now, please agree with me, please agree with me..'

0 |

victory. thanks for conceding. i didnt want to make this any more painful than it needed to be

0 |

'didn't i win, didn't i win..'

0 |

I just watched this again and I'm sorry but it just makes me angry. Absolutely disgusting that someone could put in so much hard work and effort for it to be snatched away like that. Not out of sympathy but Groves really, really impressed me. The more the build up went on I felt he had more than a chance of an upset but wasn't sure if I was being a sucker for all the Sky hype surrounding the fight. He really impressed me. But the decision? Fucking hell - I've only really got into Boxing the last few years and developed a real love for it but things like that just take the gloss off what is one the most noble and admirable sports on the planet. Sickening.

0 |