Choose a discussion

Looks like the North will be the place to be tomorrow:

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/17/basis00/ukuk/prty/13011818_1700.gif

Unless of course, you hate snow.

0 |

also had a car sit, not moving an inch doing 70 Mph on the clock in the snow. I'd would have knew all about it if it had of caught grip

0 |

CM_C, you probably didn't realise how much you were accelerating with that prosthetic foot of yours

0 |

CM_Ctoday @ 2:06 p.m. also had a car sit, not moving an inch doing 70 Mph on the clock in the snow. I'd would have knew all about it if it had of caught grip

Wtf were you doing that for you buffoon????

0 |

Happy days, get to test the quattro

0 |

Heard it could be done by dipping the clutch up the gears. You cant just go around telling people stuff like this and think they wont try it. only had one knock in the snow in a big white van, not the greatest to try and slide around corner in the snow.....but i didnt let it stop me.
I love driving, I love driving in the snow more. I was at one with my hand brake in my old car. Could put it around corners sideways to perfection. Did crash a few times but wasnt my fault. once and the other I was only driving about 2 weeks

0 |

Aye but can u juggle?

1 |

My old mr2 was great crack in snow dunno how the Dc2 will fair nearly got caught with bad ice the other day. Cant see the snow hitting the west much.

0 |

"black ice"!

0 |

Don't get a mini ffs!!!

0 |

Why not? I love them

0 |

Are tyre chains illegal over here?

0 |

Put it this way. When I see a Mini I'll always have a look at the driver as 99.99% of the time its a girl driving.

Also, the 3/4 girls I know who have one or have had one all say that they start to rattle after a while and they've had problems. They may be BMW family, but they're def not in the same league in terms of quality. Get a Ford Fiesta, far better for the money.

0 |

Nah, my mum has had one for years and it's been really reliable. I've driven it plenty too - I don't give a shit if it's supposed to be a 'girls' car (whatever), it's incredibly fun to drive and it's perfect for the combination of city and suburban driving of San Francisco. I owned a Fiesta (the new type) before the BMW and I really liked it, but they just don't have enough power for freeway driving and US Fords are fucking shite.

0 |

Depends on the year but sertain types of Mini are pure gash, others are quite good

0 |

My lift work to and from work is in one of those two seater BMW convertibles. It doesn't seem best built for extreme weather

0 |

Who gives a fuck? When you drop that top, magic happens

0 |

New job in San Francisco Mathew? Always gutted I didn't visit west coast when I was in states

0 |

Intra-company transfer, not a new job as such. But aye. I'm sure it'll be nice, but I am worried because the rave is a bit shite over there.

0 |

I would've thought San Francisco would've been sweet for le rave.

0 |

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Big cities will have something decent on. U just might have to look for it

0 |

Not the same sort as I'm after mmurray, it's more of the tech-minimal stuff that was big here a few years ago, they don't seem to have caught onto deep house again. Some cunt called Space Dimension Controller playing soon too, clearly a terrible place.

0 |

a mini is defo a girls car, anyone else check the driver out hoping its a hot woman?? Im guessing by the guy-mini drivers face they are used to a male dissapointment face ;)

0 |

Book em yourself. Become the deep house kingpin of SF. The Palo Alto Pimp.

0 |

My missus drives a Mini and seeing as I have no license, I spend a lot of my time being the male passenger in the girl driven Mini. Hows that for masculinity eh?

0 |

Re-contextualising gender roles, one journey at a time

0 |

you ever see the face mmurray?

0 |

Never lad; I don't disappoint.

0 |

Agree that Minis are definitely favoured by girls, but who gives a fuck about stereotypes. If you like a car, you like a car.

0 |

my bf likes Mini's too and has been caught looking at them in Auto Trader. WTF like.

His mum might sell us hers which is ok imo but a male actually buying one for himself is a no-no

0 |

It's weird enough that men would want to perpetuate an odd gender stereotype, but a woman too? Jesus like, anyone who claims a Mini is a car for a particular gender obviously has never driven one.

0 |

Apparantly 1-series BMW's are 'hairdressers cars'

0 |

anything coupe is!

horses for courses.

anyhoo back to the snow. how long it gonna last?

0 |

Well if it's man snow, it'll linger around for a couple of weeks and not be shifted, but it'll probably be woman snow and turn into tears by mid-afternoon.

0 |

snarf

0 |

Someone's raging. I'm not saying who.

0 |

was up the mournes the other day, some smashing snow up there already!

0 |

What sort of walk? Was it all paths? Wouldn't mind heading up at the weekend.

0 |

Wonder how mini got the girls car rep, prob the new design. Paddy Hopkirk an all, u think it would still be cool. I guess they dont make them as much fun or something any more

0 |

Advanced driving instructor told my bro to always turn off traction control in snow. My BMW defo handled better with it off. Even the most advanced systems apparently get confused by snow and over compensate.

0 |

Best thing to do is get winter tyres if you have rwd

0 |

yea i could see that makin sense. My mum merc is totally useless in the snow, its an automatic too which wouldnt help.

0 |

^^that was aimed at traction off comment

0 |

also fill the boot with breeze blocks for a RWD, cost a bit more in fuel but better than not moving

0 |

let a bit of air out of your tyres n stick a something heavy in the boot its cheaper than changing your tyres ;)

0 |

The air of the tyres thing doesn't really work if you have run-flats. Dubious as to whether it works at all though.

0 |

yea it works, think about the science

0 |

The aa tell u not to let the tyres down a bit. Ive never done it tbf. Winter tyres are narrow so you've more weight per sq inch on the ground. Better tread too. Wild dear though for the amount of snow we get.

0 |

I know how the science works, you get more surface area out of the tyre, but I'm dubious as to whether the little bit extra friction you get from that is actually enough to overcome the snow or ice if it gets to a dangerous point.

0 |

If this snow affects the weekends premier league football, il be fucking raging. Some cracking games on

0 |

you would need to let it down a good bit i would guess but clearly the theory behind it is true. maybe only like 2-3% more grip or something (i am usually against made up percentages but you get the idea)
I could be wrong but it could just be surface area, the softer tyre would fall into gaps where a hard tyre wouldnt flex do much, again probably minimal advantage

0 |