Choose a discussion

Looks like the North will be the place to be tomorrow:

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/17/basis00/ukuk/prty/13011818_1700.gif

Unless of course, you hate snow.

0 |

traffic disruption all round , yes

0 |

You're going nowhere for time being i'm afraid, RJ. Lemme know if otherwise, though, as i need to get into town as soon as possible.

0 |

Antrim road and M2 are chocablock.

0 |

Traffics a bit of a cunt at sandyknowes i.imgur.com/2SGrU.jpg

0 |

It's snowing in belfast

0 |

I left work early and now sitting at home watching cars trying to get up the hill and sliding

0 |

snowing like frig as i drove through rostrevor while ago. couldnt get over the mountain, too much snow, so had to turn round and head on down to warrenpoint. between the blizzard and the waves crashin over the wall onto the road, was sketchy enough hi

0 |

Looking like getting a lovely evening at Gatw ick. Hoping against hope really my flight goes out. You know the scene in Rocky IV where they land in Russia to be greeted by a blizzard and frost bitten Russian guards. Real men beat nature into submission.

0 |

Gonna try for a bus here. :¬\

0 |

Gona fire my head torch on, hit the golf course behind my house and do me some snowboarding!

0 |

Good craic tbh somit a bit different

0 |

tail back

0 |

I live up on the colinglen road so people who know there know how tight it is before the wee petrol station.

lorry drivers with massive haulage trucks have decided its a wise idea to drive up it and now they're stuck conpletely with a massive trail back whole way back down road ha

0 |

Not good, for sure.

0 |

Sandyknowes is moving albeit slowly as is manse road,taking me an age bumper to bumper all the way along dough road no doubt as well, im heading straight to the offies to get supplies in encase we wake up to a new ice age, but fuck me mate id give town a miss if possible as this snow isn't meant to let up

0 |

Love snow when I don't have to get anywhere. Never drove in it before :-/

0 |

Driving in snow is great craic. Unless you own a BMW. Then its shite craic.

0 |

Yeah, I own a BMW.

0 |

Aye minus 5c realfeel tomorrow according to weather with sleet and snow.

0 |

Do you Matthew? I owned one for a year and had a terrible time in winter so sold it. RWD, Automatic with humongous low profile tyres:( I'd only ever buy one again if it was xdrive or front wheel drive.

0 |

My lexus is RWD and automatic but I have a 'snow' button that puts it into safety mode which seems to work grand. I take it BMW, Merc, etc dont have this as ive heard they are a nightmare in the snow?

0 |

Yeah, got a 320i - I bought it after the snowmaggeddon in 2010 because I figured that snow is rare enough in this country and I don't use it for commuting to work (I can walk there if necessary). But supposed to be coming up North this weekend for a visit home and it's probably unwise now. Still, on balance, I'll deal with the occasional winter inconvenience for the joy of how they drive normally.

0 |

You buy it new Matthew? Got a 320i M Sport myself and thought I'd switch the DTC off for the craic. A couple of 180's later and I decided it was a very daft thing to do.

0 |

BMW vs the most modest of icy inclines = frustration

0 |

My BMW is late 2010 and the Dynamic Traction Control (DTS) in it is actually very good. I have big wide alloys and low profile tyres too which make things even worse, but generally, things aren't too bad tbf. Just avoid the country and and steep hills lol.

0 |

not on any i have ever driven, i love the snow but my new car has no wand :( sad, sad times.

a good 4x4 driving tip for teh snows; if she spinning like fuck, sir. an ya canny get er' gown. try slip er' into 2nd gear and see if she'll motor from there bai

0 |

my insignia was a right pain in the hole the last time we got snow, anything more than a 5degree slope and im fucked

0 |

A car with no wand is like a wizard with no sleeves. Or something.

0 |

Lexus FTWin then :)

0 |

Subaru ftw in the snow

1 |

what is this wand thing you speak of?

0 |

Just looking at those BMW 320i and they look lovely but the price is way way out of my range

0 |

lol Ceri, thats the handbrake

0 |

lol cheers.

0 |

My car has DSC. I have no idea what it means. The guy at the dealership said to always keep it off. Or maybe on. I can't remember.

0 |

"tคккเรςђเtt
today @ 12:57 p.m.

You buy it new Matthew? "

Nope, bought it used, 2007 model. Really gutted too, because I'm moving to California in February forever and ever and I can't take it with me :'(

0 |

Dick Socket Cone, only take it off if your gonna have kids

0 |

DSC is Dynamic Stability Control and turning the button on turns the function off. So, you'll want to keep the button off, but the function on.

0 |

I just could not be fucking assed with any snow.

0 |

lol.. handbrake. Known as the 'magic wand' by many a spide and culchie.

0 |

try Morocco, none there afaik

0 |

Wayne you need to watch Cars before tomorrow!!

"Turn right to go left"

0 |

Just get a BMW over there Matthew.

0 |

Just watched a YouTube vid about DSC and understeer and oversteer. I have been educated.

0 |

I'll probably get a Mini actually, but yeah, sticking with the BMW family. It's just shit having to buy again.

0 |

Somebody post up the Portland Ice Storm video lol, cars trying to drive around and crashing all over the place.

0 |

driving on snow pretty easy and great crack. not sure why people crawl about 5mph when it's heavy snow as you generally grip the road no problem once it's moving. that's along as you don't do any crazy turns at speed.

0 |

bollox, i was driving in the snow once and had to be there sharpish. Open road and i thought the same as you, once im going i'll be alright. I was driving the main belfast to Larne road (just after corrs corner) and driving straight, not turning doing about 40Mph and i felt it start to slide. no braking, very little steering wheel use and not accelerating and it started moving.

0 |

Have to disagree - the small mm of snow we get here occasionally aren't disruptive, but that time in 2010 was extremely bad and really difficult to drive in. As soon as you got off of the main roads and encountered an even slightly tall hill, you were fucked.

0 |

I'd say it would be quite a lot to do with the camber on the road, pot holes, big stones. Slow is the way to go, 5 maybe too slow but i'd say over 30 and your getting risky

0 |