Choose a discussion

What Phone?

Contract is up and looking to get a new phone, any advice? Currently have a HTC Desire HD and quite like the android operating system so not sure I would move to an iphone

0 |

possibly Dublin....but not anytime soon, just possibly within a 2 year contract period

0 |

I would just buy the nexus 5 then. U can use it down there or geta contract with 3 who have free roaming down there

0 |

im actually on 3 and completely forgot about about that roaming thing

0 |

Utah, you can get the Lumia 625 for about 150 quid: www.nokia.com/gb-en/ph...

Lumia 520 is 80 (!) quid: www.nokia.com/gb-en/ph...

Lumia 620 is also still about and around 130.

0 |

Yeah was hoping you'd come on Matthew, always the biggest advocate of the Lumias. Is there much difference in them?

0 |

It looks like there isn't much between the 620 and the 625 (most seem to actually prefer the 620, but the key difference is that the 625 has LTE 4G), but the 520 is obviously a more budget entry:
www.phonearena.com/pho...

Also worth comparing them to the 720 which you can get for around 200 quid.

0 |

Good man, cheers for that. You still love yours yeah?

0 |

Goid stuff Matthew, gonna order one of the chep ones.... it na for me, its formey ma

0 |

I have the Lumia 1020, and it's just fucking great. Windows Phone itself is simple, easy to use, and really fast.

0 |

Actually really perfect for parents/grandparents too - the UI is big and chunky, easy to read, plus there are options to make the text huge if you need to.

0 |

She'll freak out at 1st but wont know how to change the sim back and will be forced to learn

0 |

There's a Help and Tips app installed, make sure to put that front and centre!

0 |

820 seems to be cheaper than the 720 and Tescos are doing the 920 for 230. they all seem pretty similar. ive had an iphone for 2 years and work with Android so a change could be good

0 |

Have the 620 as my work phone and it's not too bad. Nexus 5 might be arriving today

0 |

Mate has nexus 5 in work today. KitKat looks good

0 |

Ferg give me a what you do and dont like about it. is twitter, saving photos, music player all that shit good?

0 |

If it had nothing to do with money, I'd go for the LG G2 with it's 3000mAh battery

"while both manage about 17 hours of talk time, the LG G2 blows the Nexus 5 away in stand-by, tripling the Google handset's 300 hours."

I think you can only get a 32GB LG G2 anyway

0 |

Aye ferg, give us a run down on it. Things I'm interested to know. How much better the camera is and how much better the speaker is. Pretty much everything else about the phone is perfect for me really.

0 |

ive just got in to the habit of charging every night and theres about 100 chargers here in work. battery would be one of the least important things for me, although i do like those charger cover things you can get just in case

0 |

not to break Neils run there but i was talking about your Lumia, get to the back of the queue Takki

0 |

i dont use twitter, the camera (hardly) or the music player much gareth so cant help you on thiose fronts

any photos i have taken have been ok, but look shit as the screen protector is scratched to oblivion

i like the windows lock screen wallpapers and the calculator is accurate

hope this helps

0 |

the calculator is accurate? why am i even thinking about this anymore?

what about saving photos of muppets and cats etc i find on the internet? is it simple

what dont you like about it?

0 |

surely most decent phones now take decent pics, smooth internet, user friendly UI etc

this is why I find picking one so difficult as they all come with different gimmics but my needs are simple

0 |

I find does it feel ok in my pocket being a main factor as majority all tick my other boxes

0 |

i dont like the fast that it doesnt have a notification LED, i dont enjoy using IE on the mobile.

tbf i only use it for calls, texts and the very occasional; bit of browsing when my other phone has no service, prob not the best reviewer!

0 |

not the best? youve been terrible in fairness Ferg. this is an important decision ffs and you have me this close to using my own thoughts right now

0 |

intentionally terrible

0 |

Lol at the accurate calculator app. Phew!

0 |

anno like

0 |

I hate an inaccurate calculator on my phone. Fucks up my summing and can ruin a productive day

0 |

terrible when its time to do the invoices

numberwang

0 |

Official Facebook and Twitter apps on Windows Phone are great, they'll do everything you want them to do. Instagram is on the way too, if that's your thing. You've got Spotify, Rdio, Yelp, Skype, Netflix, Office, Amazon in the official apps column too, then good third-party options for things like Soundcloud.

Battery life on the Lumia's is great, they have a battery saver option which you can enable or can come on automatically, which turns off all the background connections that cause most smartphone batteries to drain quickly. I used my Lumia 800 for the weekend at Electric Picnic last year with Battery Saver on, and didn't have to charge it once, with occasional texts.

Nokia have built a fantastic suite of built-in apps, there's a great GPS navigation app, a bunch of fun camera related ones (including a GIF-maker app, should that float your boat), an app that tells you how to use public transport to get from A to B, a regular maps app, a music app which creates radio stations based on artists you put in, panorama app, video and photo editor apps, there are Nokia tweaks to always show a clock even when your phone is locked (AMOLED screens only use battery power to show non-black areas of a screen, so this doesn't drain), use your touchscreen when you're wearing gloves, boosts the contrast in direct sunlight so that you can actually read it, a Call and Text filter which lets you block certain numbers from ever calling or texting you (I love this app, so good for spammers), and a driving mode that auto-responds to texts and calls when you're driving.

Then Microsoft also have some great built-in apps too, Internet Explorer is as good as any other mobile browser, easy to use tabs, and all that. The messaging app lets you pull in your Facebook chats too, so you can reply to people all in the one spot. Email apps are great, CALCULATOR of course, there's a cool translator app where you just hold the phone up and the camera reads, recognises, translates and then overlays the translation on the screen, Bing News app lets you customise all the sources of your news, Sports app for the same and a great wee weather app. Not sure what else there is to mention? Most apps have a handy feature where you can 'pin' parts of them to your homescreen, so for example I can pin a specific mix from the music player to the homescreen if I want quick access, or you can pin one of your contacts here and you'll see live tile updates from them on Facebook or Twitter (if you have these linked up) right there. There's Xbox integration so you can play some games, or control your Xbox from your phone (handy when you are playing videos or have to type something on the Xbox).

Basically, Windows Phone does nearly everything you want without requiring a lot of messing about and tweaking.

As for the hardware, Nokia's are really solid and well-built. The 920 has a superb camera, the 1020 has an amazing camera (better than all compact digital cameras imo), I'm not sure what the cameras are like on the lower-end phones, probably not as good I'd imagine though.

0 |

Ugh, so many wrong apostrophes :(

0 |

What's windows phone like for music apps?

0 |

What sort of music apps you looking for? It has Spotify, Rdio, Xbox Music, Nokia Music. Do you mean like music creation apps?

0 |

Music production and controller apps for software programs like ableton, traktor etc

0 |

Android have really stepped their game up in the last year. Do windows get similar apps to android?

0 |

There's a lovely wee loop-pedal esque app called Loop Kit that is great for making stuff up on the go, there are a few standalone synth type apps, and there are a few MIDI-controller apps that work over wifi that would work with Ableton and most music software. Nothing official from Ableton or Native Instruments though.

I'd say app range on WP is a bit behind Android, and even further behind iOS, but it's been getting better and better over the last few months. You sometimes will have to rely upon unofficial apps, but a lot of the time they end up being better than the real thing anyway (MetroTube is miles better than any Youtube app for example).

0 |

Ugh, wtf is up with timestamps.

There's a lovely wee loop-pedal esque app called Loop Kit that is great for making stuff up on the go, there are a few standalone synth type apps, and there are a few MIDI-controller apps that work over wifi that would work with Ableton and most music software. Nothing official from Ableton or Native Instruments though.

I'd say app range on WP is a bit behind Android, and even further behind iOS, but it's been getting better and better over the last few months. You sometimes will have to rely upon unofficial apps, but a lot of the time they end up being better than the real thing anyway (MetroTube is miles better than any Youtube app for example).

0 |

Does windows phone have strava yet Matthew?

0 |

Nope, it has Endomondo, Runkeeper, Nike+ but no Strava.

0 |

Dang.

0 |

Looks like there were a few unofficial apps that people liked, but then Strava decided to block them.

0 |

Cheers for that Matthew, that's brilliant info.

What about PC connection, so you have to use any unnecessary, bloated suite or just drop and drag?
Read a few talk about wireless charging, is something you have to purchase separately?

0 |

dolphin browser pwns chrome and IE mobile browsers tbf (imo) the browser on the 620 is tiresome

0 |

Music - You can use drag and drop thankfully. You can also use either the Windows Phone desktop app (for Windows 7 and 8 and Mac) or the Zune software.

Photos - I use the integrated SkyDrive auto-upload, which means everytime I take a photo, it is automatically uploaded to Skydrive (as long as I have 3G signal anyway), and because I have Skydrive on my PCs too, it syncs back down to them. Happens within about 2 minutes, and is really slick. You can also do the reverse, auto-sync photos on your PC up to Skydrive and then grab them on your phone using the Skydrive app.

Documents - Again, just use Skydrive, any Word docs you want, for example, go up on Skydrive and then can be accessed through the Office app.

Skydrive also automatically backs up the list of apps you've installed on your phone, your call history, any accounts you have linked to your phone, your IE favourites, all your settings, all your texts. Really handy.

If you haven't already, I recommend you store all your contacts in one of the accounts that you link with your phone - for example, I have 3 Google accounts (for Gmail addresses), a Facebook account and an Outlook account linked with mine, and any time I create a new contact the phone asks me which of those accounts I want to save the contact to. Then if I ever switch to another phone, I just sign in, and all of my contacts are automatically synced. Although, once I linked my Facebook account, it synced the majority of people's phone numbers anyway.

0 |

ferg, IE mobile actually does pretty well in benchmarks so objectively it's about the same as all of them. I've never really had any trouble with it anyway.

Forgot about wireless charging question. The 920 has wireless charging built-in, most of the other phones have a shell or case that you can put on the phone to do it. I have one for my 1020, and one of the Nokia charging plates. It's really handy, but not unmissable, it means when you sit down at your desk at work, you can just set your phone down and it'll start charging, then lift it up again when you're done. Saves a couple of seconds fiddling with a charging cable, I suppose. Would be great if I had one for the car, but they haven't released one in the US.

0 |

WP app availability is a fair bit behind Android, imo. I have looked for loads of apps which are available to both iOS and Android (or something similar) and there isn't anything available. I'm sure it will get there though. I like the look of WP too.

0 |

There's a handy tool for finding unofficial apps that match other platforms: xyo.net/lumia

0 |

you really have shone in this thread Matthew

0 |