Choose a discussion

Thinking of heading down there for 2/3 days with the GF in a week or two's time. Have only spent a couple of nights down there before so don't really know the area well at all. I'm looking for recommended spots to stay and places worth visiting. Nice walks etc?

Cheers!

0 |

Oh also places to eat obviously. I guess ideally places that you can stay with nice bars would be ideal so I can get wrote off and don't have to drive lol.

0 |

Username makes post

0 |

glenveagh national park for walks, anywhere near the coast is a good spot. Get a house instead of a hotel and enjoy the local pubs and have your own privacy to relax. Culdaff is my usual spot as its close to Derry but theres loads of other choices

0 |

You should visit Muff, Muff.

0 |

Glenveagh national park for doing a bit of walking, Bundoran for a bit of surfing/beaches(if your into that) Letterkenny for the nightlife and stay away from Lifford there's feck all in it.

0 |

Ha ha cheers guys. Yeah was looking at pics of Glenveagh Park. Looks nice!

0 |

inishowen 100 is a pretty good drive. nice beaches etc. the railway tavern is on this drive, really great food in there. shroove beach is great.

0 |

take ferry to gola or tory island.
climb errigal.
climb poisoned glen.
walk glenveigh park.
walk some of the many deserted, beautiful beaches, too many to name.
head to bloody foreland and watch the sun setting over the Atlantic.
cruit island.

its just a lethal place. just go exploring and you'll have an excellent time. the weather is generally very changeable, so if its raining where you are, hit the road and find some sunshine!

0 |

Sweet! Yeah I think Inishowen is more than likely the area we will be heading to. Thanks!

0 |

kerrykeel, around the downings, dunfanaghy area. either that or the dungloe.

0 |

Rossnowlagh- that is all!!

0 |

Muff you should look at the groupon deal for donegal today - just got sent it there

0 |

here

www.groupon.co.uk/deal...

0 |

www.donegalcottageholi... great deals direct from landlords here- £199 is a bit expensive to be fair considering you can get a week at £360, which i got by ringing landlord and doing a deal. Creevy is off the beaten track from the decent pub in the area, The Smugglers Creek, and away from the huge beach in Rossnowlagh

0 |

alright pal i was only trying to be helpful

0 |

Jaysus Glennzer, touchy! Was just giving my opinion!

0 |

haha :)

0 |

I've being going to Dunfanaghy for years, its a great spot. good bars, beaches, close to muckish etc if u wanna walk up that, drive/walk/cycle around Horn Head

0 |

beach hotel in the downings is nice, stayed there last week and a month before that, atalntic drive is some walk, 3 hours if you were up for it or you could just drive it, plenty of stunning beaches round them parts www.beachhotel.ie

0 |

+ the harbour bar is some spot for sitting outside and drinking, views amazing

0 |

Went over to Donegal for 3 nights there and I have to say it is one of the best places I've ever been to. We stayed in a little cottage that was 30 mins west of Donegal town and had our 2 dogs with us for £60/night - got the fire blazing and the heat on and the place was warm as toast in 20 minutes = unreal. Fintra beach - beautiful quiet & sunny on Friday. Loads of sand, no stones. Amazing scenery = unreal. Slieve League - beautiful, nice walk, amazing photos, windy so being a hat = unreal. Went for a trip on down towards Bundoran - stopped for a massage in the Sandhouse hotel - lovely, had the jacuzzi to ourselves, amazing 1 hour massage. Herbal tea afterwards = unreal. Called into Smugglers Creek for oysters starter and salmon main along with a pint of guinness - nicest salmon I've had in years. Amazing munch = unreal. Went for a horse trek over the sand dunes and around the beach. Beautiful and quiet. Weather was great. Horse was a beaut = unreal. Pretty much unreal mates and great value. Will definitely make this trip again very soon! Called into the Bay View hotel in Killybegs for the Liverpool United game before heading home.... wouldn't really call this unreal but was glad about the result. Stayed in Harvey's Point before and it was great but the trip above pretty much smoked it.

0 |

smugglers is some spat bai

0 |

Sounds unreal. You sure it wasn't a dream?

1 |

any suggestions of things to do/see in the Ardara/Glenties/Portnoo area?

0 |

Links to the wee bungalow???

0 |

If it's drink you want and plenty of feeding
And you like the bed as well
Grab the wife, throw the kids in the Datsun
Make for Inch and the Strand hotel
If talk of turf drives you crazy
And you can't face a bale of hay

Make for Foley's work the topshelf talk puck, pints and the GAA

0 |

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

This is unbelievably sad. Just listening to radio Foyle this morning. The guy that rang the coastguard and was there watching the car sink was in bits speaking on the radio. Actually had to switch it off it was making me upset.

0 |

Really difficult to listen to. Couldn't help but think what it would have been like for the parents trying to get the baby out then the terror as it went down

0 |

Yeah handing your baby out the window of your sinking car. Knowing you're not getting out with your other kids in the back. Sends shivers down your spine thinking about it. That poor fella will have to live with those thoughts for the rest of his life too thinking what more could he have done?

0 |

Also unbelievably brave of the fella that swam out to help them.

0 |

absolutely terrible but you have to wonder, why didnt they open the doors, put the windows down, anything to get out of the car once it started slipping down the pier or was bobbing in the water, i get that panic probably set in... grim shit

0 |

I'd say it was a few seconds and everyone would be clinging to something screaming. They aren't trained professionals.

Also soon as it hit the water the pressure would prevent doors opening and windows going down.

0 |

The engine would cut out and electrics would fail. So if it wasn't done quickly you've no chance of doing from then. Water pressure would keep the doors from opening.

0 |

The only good thing you could possibly take from a tragedy like this is at least the family all went together, imagine if you where the da and made it out how would live with yourself

0 |

I know water pressure would keep the doors shut but did it not say the car slipped down a ramp or did it go over a wall?

1 |

down a ramp from what ive read, i was feeling fragile enough after a heavy weekend and this has absolutely done me today, its the grimmest thing, so sad

0 |

Just hope the baby has close family that can take care of it

0 |

Apparently the ramp was covered in algae/sea slime etc, so was super slippy and the car slid on it.

Sounds absolutely horrific. Proper nightmare material. Poor folks.

0 |

The ramp is fairly angled from what I remember, the water gets deep very quickly. I remember staggering around there at Christmas time as the beach house restaurant is right at the pier and that's where we had our Christmas party.

0 |

Heartbreaking

0 |

The only thing you hope out of this is there are security barriers put in place for this ramps.

0 |

For all ramps, imo. The general public shouldn't be able to drive near risky areas like this. There's no real need for them to either.

0 |

Aye it is surprising you can get anywhere near these piers in a car this day and age, there's a really wide open ramp down at prehen which is dodgy looking as fuck.

0 |

I'm against barriers tbh. People today think, if there isnt a barrier or a sign, i'll be grand. I'm sure a lot of locals use that slipway to put their boats in the water, and they'll know to be careful. There is absolutely no one to blame for this. The coroner will probably put down that it was accident caused by misadventure.

0 |

what was the driver doing?

0 |

The driver was trying to turn his car. Probably reversed on the ramp and started sliding after that.

0 |

You can see the algae here. goo.gl/maps/Ggtyub6Gwyj

0 |

There is a barrier. goo.gl/maps/SnesoSh7kz72

0 |

I'm hearing it was the father and 2 children in the car, the mother was away on a hen party, it was actually her sister and her mother in the car as well.
doesn't bare thinking about what she has to come back to

0 |

How did they get the baby out if they couldn't open the doors and windows?

from the dery journal account it seems the car floated for a while before sinking:/

www.derryjournal.com/n...

0 |