Choose a discussion

I have no idea what to look for. I just want something easy & comfy. Its only for cycling round N Belfast. What should I be looking for?
Popped into bikedock earlier and they had a nice pre-owned one, just my size, plus other new ones. Going back tomorrow to test some out but what brands etc are good?
Oh, am getting a kid trailer for the back too if the weight makes a difference to certain bikes...

0 |

Could be rong on CRC at boucher. Was well closed when I past that time though. Fucking hate boucher tbf

0 |

I think I might have seen a couple of tourer bikes in CRC, PJ. Would be worth maybe calling in for a gander anyway.

Would you not consider getting a nice MTB with racey geometry and just putting on slicks/semi-slicks?

0 |

Yeah rigid MTB with slicks is an option. Cannondale badboy or the like

0 |

I was in it a few weeks ago too. Think it's always been closed on Sundays. Is that when you lads have been going?

0 |

Velo Cafe Magasin is on North St as well, but i think they mainly do custom stuff?

0 |

You should go for a retro rebuild, PJ.

0 |

Aye I would takki but frame sizing etc puts me off. Tbh I'm not sure if be entirely confident I had all the parts I needed.

0 |

Basically I reckon I'd fuvk up buying a steel framed MTB off eBay and getting it sweet.

0 |

Have a gander at these links lad and see if there's anything which might be worth enquiring about:
www.retrobike.co.uk/fo...
www.facebook.com/group...

My '96 Kona runs great on the roads with the chunky semi slicks and has a pretty decent riding position for the road, too. Although as long as the frame geometry is close to what you want, selecting/adjusting the saddle/stem/handlebars will get you comfortable.

0 |

If you were worried, you could go for something that's still in reasonably roadworthy condition, maybe just needing some work here and there, then just stick on the tires you want.

0 |

What frame was it? Yeah have looked at a steel kona then pimping it

0 |

It's a Kona Explosif. I've had it since new, but gave it a full strip down, service and restore.

imgur.com/a/sRTXO

0 |

V.nice. explosifs are hard enough to come by. Cinder cone etc more common.

0 |

Yeah, older Kona's are at the stage now were any decent condition, retro model is a nice machine. I love seeing any old Kona.

0 |

What size is your frame and what height are ye? There's a 18" one on fleabay at the moment. If the the size was right I'd be bang on for it. It's the year with the sliding drop outs so can run it SS

0 |

Reckon a 17 would probably be more suitable for me

0 |

Kona's are measured right to the top of the seat tube, but the top bar comes out from the seat tube and inch or two lower than the hight of the frame. So a 17 inch is more like a 15.5-16 inch across the top tube, so worth bearing it in mind. Mines a 19 inch frame, but it'd be more like a 17.5-18 inch.

Why you def wanting to go single speed, btw? Just for the reduced things that could 'go wrong'?

0 |

i ride SS at the moment on my commuter. dont need a geared bikes for that run. nearly maintenance free.

found a kona sizing chart on retrobike that seemed to suggest a 17" would be about right with stand over etc (although an 18" probably alright the other way)

0 |

current bike is a old hub geared bike. hub failed, so i had joe at velo magasin build me a SS wheel for it. runs great but im finding the alu frame a bit harsh of late. also have a big heavy dutch bike. thing is a tank.

0 |

Can anyone recommended a decent camera for cycling. Too many time now ive been nearly put of the bike because of car users not being able to drive properly and given me the same respect as other road users.

0 |

Have a gander here - www.techmoan.com/blog/...

That guy does really good and in depth reviews of loads of the cheaper end action cameras.

0 |

Pretty much 20 minutes of pure downhill

0 |

1 |

Class

0 |

m.facebook.com/story.p...

0 |