Choose a discussion

I have no idea what to look for. I just want something easy & comfy. Its only for cycling round N Belfast. What should I be looking for?
Popped into bikedock earlier and they had a nice pre-owned one, just my size, plus other new ones. Going back tomorrow to test some out but what brands etc are good?
Oh, am getting a kid trailer for the back too if the weight makes a difference to certain bikes...

0 |

Nah it's not where I live, but I'd stop in Dublin city centre often on the way home from work, and that's definitely a high risk area.

lemac - it's not a huge amount of time on it's own but I've found that the brakes start getting loose after a while if I keep taking the front wheel off. Might just be a matter of figuring out the right tool to tighten those up.

PJ - I'd been carrying the lock in my backpack until I got the doodads, kinda just prefer having it on the frame itself than on my back.

0 |

Brakes start getting looser? What sort of brakes are on your bike? Taking the wheel off shouldn't affect the brakes at all.

0 |

I don't mean the braking itself is looser - when I take the front wheel off, I have to flip a black plastic switch on the brakes to widen them, and this seems to eventually loosen the (I have no idea what the proper terms are) brake balancing nut.

0 |

Ah, ok. Could you maybe work out a way to attach the lock to a water bottle cage?

0 |

Not sure on the size of the lock, but you can get these... www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-7...

0 |

Maybe see what chat is on here too, which might help...

www.bikeforums.net/roa...

0 |

Yeah, it'd be bigger than that bottle. Might see about 3D printing myself a handlebar mount for it.

0 |

Have a gander at this thread, Matthew... www.bikeforums.net/gen...

0 |

Check out these little numbers... www.amazon.co.uk/diy/d...

0 |

Red Bull Rampage time of year again... www.facebook.com/22073...

0 |

video - www.redbull.com/us/en/...

0 |

is this good?

www.halfords.com/cycli...

0 |

Decent enough for the money. Wouldn't be buying it on the idea of doing a lot of proper off roading, though. 29" wheels too.

0 |

be mainly mountain roads just, the odd dusty side road. have about 300 to play with. gonna call down to that shop in Smithfield too. i need a bike.

0 |

Some cracker deals about in the 2nd hand market lad.

1 |

where would you see them Takk? cheers

0 |

Few groups on Facey B lad. Just ask if there's any decent £300 bikes going...

www.facebook.com/group...

Also plenty of local folks advertising on Pinkbike...

www.pinkbike.com/buysell

and worth keeping an eye on Gumtree, too.

0 |

Seems like a decent bike... www.pinkbike.com/buyse...

You could try your luck and offer £300.

0 |

great stuff mate, cheers. Will get a look at those links proper later on.

0 |

i.imgur.com/DAXZBuw.gifv

0 |

Steps are just the right depth. Nice.

0 |

Unbelievable bit of skill.

0 |

I watched that about 20 times and im still amazed

0 |

i.imgur.com/bWzPFxE.gifv

2 |

Lol. Cracker

0 |

i.imgur.com/gIQUYSF.gifv

0 |

cdn.uberhavoc.com/wp-c...

0 |

cdn.acidcow.com/gifs/2...

0 |

Bought myself a new steed yesterday as I've quit the smokes, wising up on the boozing and wanting to get back into mountain biking and fit again. Got a cracker deal on it too, if anyone is after a new machine. It has an electronic suspension system which adjusts the rear shock based on the hit the front shock gets and on what is happening in regards peddling. Crazy tech for a bike and can't wait to try it out.

www.chainreactioncycle...

"An accelerometer fitted to the leg of the conventional RockShox Revelation fork tells the E:I processor what size of hit the fork is dealing with. A crank turn sensor in the bottom bracket adds information on pedalling speed and then the E:I processor then works out the ideal compression setting of the rear shock from fully open, platform damped or soft locked according to this impact and pedalling information."

"Before the back wheel gets to the same patch of trail, a motor mounted on the rear shock adjusts the valving accordingly. It’s always worked incredibly well for such a sophisticated system and the latest version is even better. The big stem top mounted computer has been replaced by a smaller unit on the side of the stem which communicates current compression mode via a red, amber or green LED and lets you choose between automatic or manual mode selection."

"The E:I system undoubtedly flatters climbing and acceleration performance"

www.bikeradar.com/mtb/...

0 |

Pretty slippy out there this morning. Careful now.

0 |

imgur.com/kJ5N3RY.gifv

0 |

What's the new bike like, takki? You been getting out much? The zesty is quality.

0 |

www.firebox.com/produc...

0 |

Biking down an abandoned bobsled track
i.imgur.com/uYrnOq2.gifv

0 |

Jim, only just got out on the bike for the first time at the weekend there. Between waiting on heli tape, the bike being out at the folks as I dont have anywhere to keep it at mine, having to get myself some new cycling gear, shit weather, busy weekends and our van being in getting a repair I haven't really had the chance.

I gotta say though, its some machine. The E:I system is really class. Makes a massive difference in the flat, peddly sections and the climbs. Downhill and technical stuff, it's great too. Really like the 27.5" wheels, def the way forward. Huge change in bikes since I was racing. The design, materials and tech has come on an insane amount. I couldn't get over how grippy the tires were, and the ones that come on the bike (Schwalbe Nobby Nic) aren't even meant to be that good. The suspension design is so good, too. With all my previous full sus bikes, you kinda know you're on a full sus and the back end feels 'suspensiony' (not sure how to explain it). With the Zesty, you kinda of forget about it and dont even notice it working. It just flattens out the trail, like magic. Cant wait to get out on it again. My delicate ass needs to get used to bike saddles again, though lol.

<3 i.imgur.com/Q25SZ28.jpg

0 |

Cool promo video for a new ferry option for folks wanting to come over to NI to use our MTB trails
www.facebook.com/Mount...

0 |

This is class!

0 |

Are mcconveys and slabs cycles the only bike shops in Belfast these days?

0 |

CRC

0 |

Buy from chain reaction.

0 |

CRC is closed on boucher.

Like trying for size etc. Though what I'm after isn't really stocked too many places

0 |

Serious?? Closed down???

0 |

Also CRC is actually wiggle. Id rather support local business where I can (and they don't take the piss price wise).

Forgot about Dave Kane. Might be worth a look

0 |

Last time I past the shop.was closed. Web presence only now I guess.

0 |

alu frame carbon fork 105 groupset road bike in decathalon for £550. crazy value

0 |

I was about there a week and a half ago and it was open. Don't see anything online about it being closed.

Yeah, CRC no longer local and sometimes aren't that good for prices (compared to some other online bike retailers). You can get an amazing deal in CRC if you buy at the right time, though. I got my bike pretty much half price a while back.

What you after, PJ? Wee folding yoke like Shane's?

0 |

Dave Kane ftw

0 |

Steel single speed with hydraulic disc brakes ideally. Commuter/tourer effort. Not really something there are many of the. So really just going for a gander and seeing if an alu framed fast hybrid would do me for a commuter

0 |

I'm recovering from wrist surgery from the summer so drops aren't a goer and any thoughts of doing much MTB stuff is over for life I believe

0 |

Was also half considering a steel touring bike. Might be more flexible, though again they're not something you see in many smaller shops. And I don't really need gearing on a daily basis

0 |