Choose a discussion

I have no idea what to look for. I just want something easy & comfy. Its only for cycling round N Belfast. What should I be looking for?
Popped into bikedock earlier and they had a nice pre-owned one, just my size, plus other new ones. Going back tomorrow to test some out but what brands etc are good?
Oh, am getting a kid trailer for the back too if the weight makes a difference to certain bikes...

0 |

Tarmac and gravel paths mostly.

Nice one, cheers lad. :)

0 |

Ryan, you don't know what width those tyres are? Don't see anything in the description about it.

0 |

They're 26 x 1.5.....

0 |

Sorry 1.9

0 |

Nice one, that's about right.

0 |

girlfriends buying this with the cycle to work scheme. Lovely looking thing.
www.electrabike.com/Bi...

0 |

How tight should the quick release lever thing be if you've removed it and put it back on? I think I had it too tight as took an age to close it again but was afraid of the wheel being too loose and falling off :/

Finally got my trailer today. With that and all the crap assorted with it, I'm going to have to buy a bike shed now ffs.

0 |

It should be stiff enough to require effort to lock, but not so much as it would hurt your hand during either the opening or closing of it. Make sure you point the front wheel QR towards the rear of the bike and the rear wheel QR towards the front of the bike when locking.

0 |

Shite mines pointing upwards. Will fix it later:/

0 |

easiest way is to look at your palm after you push it in, it should leave a crisp kind of impression on your palm, if it doesent, its too loose.

0 |

Upwards is ok too as long as they're not resting up against the frame or forks so you can't get a grip on them. It's not a major thing, it's just easier for the QRs to get caught and pulled open if they're facing forwards/back F/R respectively.

0 |

Ceri cares more about cyclists than babies!

0 |

what an absolute cunt!

although, I don't like the tone the article takes about young female drivers and their attitudes to cyclists. I know I'm hardly young anymore, but my main fear when driving is hitting a cyclist.

0 |

social media justice - ipayroadtax.com/no-suc...

0 |

babies are unlikely to be cutting up between traffic at traffic lights...if they are on the roads they are likely to be protected by a car.

0 |

On a bike or in a car, a cunt is a cunt. Hope that wee girl flips her car into a river or something.

0 |

Drivers are wankers to cyclists on the roads.

0 |

You clearly haven't been to divis of a weekend, handbrake turns a plenty from wains in stolies.

0 |

I work with 3 racers, they are obsessed. They told me last week its ok to go through red lights - I disagree.

Cyclists and buses my biggest fear when driving now

0 |

Im giving up overtaking cyclists without slowing to rheir speed first, way too risky

0 |

Quite a few road racing cyclists are total dicks. I was driving yesterday evening and there was a race on near where my parents live. Guys and girls cycling on there own and about a metre out from the side of the road. Basically in the middle of the lane of the road, and swaying about quite a bit too so overtaking was a nightmare. The whole driver v cyclist thing is stupid and perpetuated by dicks on both sides, that wee doll and those roadies last night were prime examples on both sides.

0 |

Nipped the odd amber red when theres been no stopping in time, but as a practice, madness, youll kill everyone

0 |

lol.. What? It's ok to go through red lights? Are they retarded?

0 |

in fact they might well have been doing it to stop people trying to squeeze past.

0 |

They were just being difficult and ruining my evening drive.

0 |

today @ 9:15 a.m.
Quite a few road racing cyclists are total dicks. I was driving yesterday evening and there was a race on near where my parents live. Guys and girls cycling on there own and about a metre out from the side of the road. Basically in the middle of the lane of the road, and swaying about quite a bit too so overtaking was a nightmare. The whole driver v cyclist thing is stupid and perpetuated by dicks on both sides, that wee doll and those roadies last night were prime examples on both sides.

nothing wrong with this. bikes should be afforded the same room as a car when overtaking. you're supposed to go fully into the other lane.

0 |

...with black hair, and black mascara?

0 |

reflective nothing.

0 |

i used to cycle about at night on a black bike, dressed all in black, regularly, i was always on footpaths but even still.

0 |

again, what are they going to reflect in daylight?

do you mean hi viz clothing?

if you cant see a person in normal clothes, how would you be able to spot a car? should cars all be hi viz? afterall they are the most dangerous things on the road.

its weird that people think you should have to wear special clothes to cycle. its not a dangerous activity in itself.

0 |

Reflectives, as in reflective clothing

0 |

but whats the reflector going to reflect in daylight?

0 |

some cunts are cunts.

i know, i am one.

0 |

Hoping to buy a new bike. Only planning to use it once a week. £400 a decent budget?

0 |

i bought a cracker mountain bike worth about 800 quid for 200 on ebay. only 200 or 300 miles on it.

0 |

Could of done with some reflectives IMO. He was on a black bike in a black jacket, nipping about causing beeps. Up where I live it's pretty quiet, so I can scoot about reflectorless. Yaaahh!

0 |

why would he need lights and reflective if its day time though?

0 |

Nah, it was bright. The footpath was bare and he was on a mountian bike

0 |

was it dark?

0 |

Some cyclists are just total melters. Especially roadies.

0 |

Was on the bus behind a cyclist, heading down past Carlisle Circus this morning. The guy had a helmet, but no lights or reflective gear. Crawling down th the road in the thick of morning traffic... The guy near got scrubbed five times in as many minutes. Couldn't help think to myself he'd be much safer (and faster) on the footpath

0 |

and its technically illegal.

0 |

cycling on the footpath is a pain in the hole. pedestrians are more unpredictable than drivers!

0 |

cycle lanes are different in that, that space is set aside for the use of cyclists should they want to use it, but there is nothing that says you have to use them. passing a cyclist in a car if they are in a cycle lane is fine, as there is dedicated room for the cyclist at the car to pass. when the cycle lane isnt there you are supposed to overtake properly i.e. inidcate and change direction into the other lane (by the book).

cycle lanes are in worse repair than the roads most of the time, along with cars being parked in them etc etc. but i know what you mean, i use them where they are available and worth using.

0 |

Would only hit the road in patches until the footpath is clear again, then back on

0 |

I think if you go above 4 mph you shouldn't be on footpaths.

0 |

Same Flash, was wondering that as well. I prefer cycling on the footpath

0 |

Is cycling on the footpath frowned upon these days? I'd rather do that knowing how inconsiderate car drivers are to cyclists sharing the road.

0 |

PersonalJesus today @ 12:19 p.m.
nothing wrong with this. bikes should be afforded the same room as a car when overtaking. you're supposed to go fully into the other lane.
--

so cars aren't supposed to pass cyclists who are in the cycle lane on the lisburn road then? they do, and there's plenty of room for it too, without going right into the other lane.

and the cycle lane is thin, because it's only for a bike, the cyclists taking up an entire car lane are being inconsiderate.

when i cycled everywhere i was never in a hurry so i preferred footpaths.

0 |

Not in the context of "anyone who fails to see a cyclist in the daytime needs their eyes tested"

0 |