Choose a discussion

Please share

cull used to post here and on the Shine board, a few here probably know him a lot better than I do, but please share this:
www.belfastlive.co.uk/...

0 |

Jim Carey's recent documentary on touched on that kind of idea disco.

He said before he was famous and just doing crazy stuff in his bedroom it often felt like he was going mad. he learned over time that the madness is a part of the creative process and he won't let go of the 'mad' part of him now but at times it got pretty dark as you battle that internal voice telling you there is something wrong with you.

1 |

Had experience of mental illness recently within the family. Hard to believe that it all comes down to chemical balances in your head and how those chemicals affect your behaviour. When you think of it like that it's easy to see how a normal person could change their behaviour to the extent they want to end their life. It's an affliction on society for sure.

1 |

reminds me of a quote: "“Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.”

2 |

Cracker, there RP

0 |

Interesting stuff lads. Stephen Fry is an excellent example of creativity and bi-polar illness. Have a look.

0 |

Will do. On Fry's Desert Island Discs he quoted somebody who said depression was a "disease of thoughts".

0 |

An apt description I'd say. I'd also call it a cancer of the mind.

1 |

Yeah, that's about right I'd say man. Thankfully I don't know anyone who's committed suicide.

0 |

Ps will check RP.....he's had a whirlwind time with his Irish ex who took her own life. Family suing him too. Yikes.

0 |

Seen that.. Didn't paint him in a brilliant light initially. Always 2 sides and all that though. One of my favourite actors anyway for sure

0 |

I can't think even think of his performance in Liar Liar without pissing myself. He's excellent and a tad underrated imo

0 |

Family suing him too. Yikes.

Yeah thats finished now, last week I think. He won.

0 |

The brain is arguably the most complex and powerful force known to man in that it can shape your perception and create a reality completely different than what it exists as. It can convince you of anything and nothing anyone says can change that thought process.

If it's broken it can be more dangerous to the person than what reality could throw at them. They could be loved, in a great job and surrounded by happiness but their minds tell them it's better for everyone to not be alive.

1 |

If you want a bit of reading, check out Camus' the Myth of Sisyphus.

The only true philosophical question is whether to call it a day or not. The absurd

1 |

Agree Andy. My husband's granny has been sectioned a few times and the docs have always said she has a 'chemical imbalance' even though the family relate her bouts of depression to an incident in her past. But does that mean pills can 'fix' the imbalance? It's very complex.

It's a very sad situation when someone takes their own life. I hate the way people call them selfish. Surely they can't see a way out.

0 |

A lot of mental illnesses can be rteated with drugs to a certain extent, but it depends on the severity of the illness. Chemical imbalance is not really an accurate description. Some illness are caused by chemical issues others arent. Some illnesses will require drugs like Valium or lithium which can inhibit normal functions. While others like anixety/depression can be managed with SRIs like prosac. I've been on Sertraline for years with depression and anxiety and they help a bit. But its not always the best solution for my illness. CBT is generally a good solution for it. I started seeing a shrink a this year to use CBT to get off the tablets. Generally it has a high success rate.

but thats only one illness. And Im lucky that mine isnt incredibly severe; I have never thought about suicide. There are many levels of depression though, and some are simply difficult to treat without the heavy drugs and since they inhibit other things, are they really that good of a treatment.

"Chemical imbalance" is a common misconception and also creates a stigma. Mental illness is so wide and varied there is no one successful treatment and what works for me might not work for another person.

0 |

'Absurdism' is a great word.

0 |

After what happened this week I started thinking of other friends I'd lost or people I knew who died young from north Belfast and I decided to get in touch with an old friend who I grew up with in silverstream. Last time we spoke he told me three of our friends had died in their early and late 20s and I told him about our other friend who had died at 18. It seems a year or two later he also suffered ill mental health and died of alcohol abuse or an overdose. I didn't get full story.

There was 6 of us which was all the kids in the street and apart from myself all died young. We all played together as primary school kids and I moved when we were about 9 or 10. Proper head fuck processing that today. I always remember north Belfast being on the news as a kid for such high suicide rates then west few years had it bad.

Totally grim such high levels of young people not being helped. This countries support network is shit

1 |

Bloody hell Muzka I'm glad you didn't live on my street, kiss o fucking death you are..

Seriously though, that's fucking grim and no doubt statistically off the charts

2 |

It was common though. I remember a news piece saying north belfast had one of the highest suicide rates in Europe.

2 |

What's your take on why? Is it the environment or something in the DNA? While you can't be sure I think being so close to so much of it your opinion would be interesting to hear

0 |

Shit lad, that's terrible.

lol tho RJ

0 |

Maybe there's some higher rates/correlation of other people taking the same path when people close to them commit suicide, especially if things aren't going well for them. It's bound to have a massive effect, especially in close/small communities or among close/long time friends or when growing up.

1 |

Wasn't there a family somewhere in Belfast in the last couple of years which had multiple suicides?

0 |

A number of things RJ. I think popularity and regularity breeds more cases, normalises it almost. Then paramilitary pressure on young people back then, lack of jobs, crime and big problems with alcohol and later drugs in working class estates. Also being males and no focus on mental illness back then.

0 |

In these cases upon reflection I think neglect, broken families, crime and a family history of mental illness had big part.

0 |

Seen a interview with a suicide survivor. He jumped off Golden Gate bridge. He said a fraction of a second after letting go, he had immediate regret and wanted to live. He said afterwards, if someone has spoken to him he would have not went through with it. When people get that bad, they just won't reach out, but if you reach out to them, it makes all the difference.

1 |

Seen an interview with the parents of this wee girl on the late late show recently. Everything going for her, stable family, all the opportunity she could ask for, good at school. Grim doesn't begin to describe it www.irishexaminer.com/...

She had already told her parents about the suicidal thoughts in the months before. 11 years old looking to end it, then actually going through with it

0 |

Spot on Nik in your assessment and yep that is some major self reflection I'm sure. I'm from North Belfast. I live in North Belfast. I've lived elsewhere of course. No part of this historical war torn city is as segregated as the North. If you analyse this I'm sure you'll find some answers.

1 |

11 years young. Fuck sake.

The Late Late Show always had the tearjerkers on over the years. One minute you'd have Boyzone on, the next they'd have some mother out telling us about losing 5 wains in a car accident

0 |

Was that the McGurn family Takki. They have been through the wringer

0 |

Find myself always trying reflect on those days and analyse why friends lives turned out how they did ddave. So many things make sense when you look back with hindsight of what you learn in adulthood.

You think it’s changed much? It’s less tense than when I was a kid but still so many fractured social structures and issues.
I see they are now pushing for suicide awareness information to be put up at the cavehill

0 |

Listening to a lot of culls stuff recently

0 |

I've a lot of friends n relatives that know him and I'm shocked that his talent is only coming to a lot of peoples fortune including my own.

0 |

*forture

0 |

There's a concept called the cluster effect with suicide. Apparently it sets precedence for people in an area. The missus does work in hotspots up the north around the bone and ardoyne and there seems to be a real issue at the moment.

Awful stuff. I didn't know the fella but from the campaign that was launched to find him, I really wish knowing how much he meant to people could of helped him.

2 |

Should have said, that effect is why they don't publish on the news when someone takes their own life

1 |

Read that before PJ. Couldn't get my head around it.

0 |