Choose a discussion

Server Maintenance

Over the next few days I'll be taking care of a few bits and bobs related to the server the forum is on. There might be a few hours of downtime here and there, but I'll try and keep it to late night.

3 |

Matthew know of any scala developers in Dublin? We're crying out for them.

0 |

I don't, nope! You might be just as well looking for Java developers who are adaptable, I mean it's not too difficult to adjust from one language to another.

0 |

Why would anyone want to develop in scala? Can you not offer training to get experienced devs to cross-over duffy?

0 |

Wrong approach to hire hire Devs for a specific language imo. Hire someone with a history of learning new tech skills and they'll learn it.

0 |

Yeah get someone interested in the job and they will train and learn the job if they have solid development experience under their belts already. Actual Scala devs must be few and far between I'd say.

0 |

I know a few in Belfast but have lucrative contracting gigs.

0 |

Curious but what's the going rate for an experienced Dev with scala skills in LDN?

0 |

Any reasonably senior role in London would be 70/80k+ I'd say. Complete bubble of a place. I know a fella who has xamarin experience which is a limited but highly sought skill who ended up getting £120k a year in London for senior dev role.

0 |

Scala and Xamarin and all that stuff are so foreign to me - there's almost like a divide between the companies making software for other companies (who seem to tend towards those languages or other Microsoft ones) compared to the languages used by tech companies (open sourced stuff that evolves more rapidly).

I'm all about the React JS/React Native and GraphQL combination these days.

0 |

When companies get to the size of Microsoft or Google or Facebook. They build their own languages. Google have go, rust etc. Microsoft obviously have c#, f#, .Net core. Facebook wrote stuff for transiting php to c to make it faster as well. I'm completely Microsoft tech based but but you can't learn or know everything.

0 |

If I help with payments can I have say next time you attempt to ban hammer SS?

0 |

PJ you asking me? I'm in Dublin so not sure. Not sure what our London contractors earn. There's obviously more of a scala scene there but I'd never heard of it before til last year! Yeah Andrew the ones we hire all have java background but we lack real experience and we're crying out yet we get 1 good CV a month if that and we need shitloads of people.

I dunno why but there was a push to redesign a lot of our applications in scala a few years back. My team say they all have bespoke skills....

0 |

Was a general question really but aye thought you were London.

What ye paying in Dublin?

We let our devs choose the tech stack. But once you start picking shit like scala and can't scale the team to meet demand or deadlines you've made a misinformed decision imo.

0 |