Choose a discussion

Server Maintenance

Over the next few days I'll be taking care of a few bits and bobs related to the server the forum is on. There might be a few hours of downtime here and there, but I'll try and keep it to late night.

3 |

Will there be any noticeable changes?

1 |

Any new features Matthew?

2 |

Nope, none planned, though the server upgrades will let me make noticeable changes in the future.

3 |

What kind of changes?

0 |

Mind we could tag people? I for one enjoyed that feature

1 |

Amy other suggestions, lads?

1 |

*Any

1 |

Ability to have quotes in profile a La Shine Board

Some way to attract fresh blood

An environment where females aren't put off posting

Bans which are a bit more difficult to circumnavigate(creating my own downfall on this one)

Interface with bebo

More stats. I love a good stat.

2 |

Hahaha

1 |

I'll definitely be making sure to re-enable email confirmation before accounts are active, then tightening up on fake accounts and bannings. Impossible to have a completely secure ban system tbh, but I'll try to see what I can do.

1 |

lol.

0 |

What about emojis Matthew? We dont have to go all Iphone X but say a limit of 3 to show laughter, extreme laughter and finally rage

1 |

One for the horn as well

1 |

What do you host this on Matt? What provider that is.

0 |

Linode

0 |

How much does it cost to run this place? Can I help/pay the fees? I feel like it's time to give back.

1 |

Lurkers get a free pass

0 |

The server plus backup is about $15 a month, although it used to be about $40 back a few months ago before I realised that the traffic was a good bit lower and didn't need the higher capacity.

4 |

Fair play to ya man

1 |

Legend

1 |

Can we get a nice purple color going here?

1 |

wait a minute...your paying $15 a mth outa yer own pocket to host a forum used by people you don't particularly like? fair play to ye

4 |

Sound man

1 |

It was less of a consideration back when I had a job RJ, now I'm trying to make things a wee bit more efficient. If I can switch off the Linode backup service, that's the cost per month down to $5.

0 |

im happy to throw a few quid in to cover the running costs, you definitely shouldn't be shouldering it alone

4 |

If you're at a loose end now you're jobless Matthew, you could get out there and attract some fresh meat to the board.

There's only so many usernames I can create to make it seem busy round here.

1 |

If people do want to throw in some cash, I think you can send it via Paypal to mattjohnston100@hotmai... - I believe that works anyway

0 |

TJ - it's hard to call it jobless precisely, as that suggests a dearth of things to do during the day, but being a stay at home dad is full of the endless joy of parenting.

2 |

Is being a stay at home dad a permanent thing or did you and the missus split the paternity leave?

0 |

She went back to work a year ago, I had enough paternity leave, time off, and sabbatical leave to do me through to March, then I quit and now I'm permanently stay-at-home, until he gets into a creche, then I might go back to work. Freelance work is starting to come in more frequently, but it's never as reliable financially as a proper job, especially where banks and mortgages are concerned.

0 |

Are you glad to be out of Facebook, Matthew?

0 |

Sounds like you are winning matty

1 |

Sweet deal there although parenting is no walk in the park

1 |

Fair play Matt. Sounds like its worked out really well.

0 |

Sounds good in theory but 24 hours a day with the kids and you'd be going crazy. Sure Muzak1 has a job and still beats his kids, imagine him if he was at home all day with them.

3 |

Fuck that i couldnt hack 24/7 with the kids, it'd drive me mad... kids are too full on ALL THE FUCKING TIME, its too much for this aul cunt

1 |

Yeah, it's a challenge, though it means at weekends my wife is very eager to look after the kid because she misses him, so I can just lie back and do fuck all parenting. I've genuinely no idea how properly single parents do this tbh, I'd go insane.

2 |

Don't be sending Matthew money, his missus obviously earning the big bucks if he quit his lucrative facebook job to look after the child.

The Johnstons are loaded lads.

1 |

takki - I guess so, I doubt if I'll ever find a better place to work in my life, but at the same time the opportunities for someone who is interested in UI/front end coding in Dublin are really non-existent at Facebook so it was a case of downgrade or leave. Couldn't have found a better time to go out on my own really.

0 |

Does this mean you can now start ripping into Microsoft now matty?

1 |

Ok. So I didn't realise this was you Take a look at Matthew Johnston (@matthewathome):

0 |

On twitter I mean. Thought it was some other Matthew

0 |

Aye, sure it has my full name there and I've never hidden my full name off here either!

0 |

I just didn't realise your surname was Johnston.

0 |

Fair enough, I thought that was common enough knowledge from my decades on this and the Shineboard

0 |

What's that's t-shirt with the red coloured circle on it a reference to, Matthew?

0 |

I like the make vars one.

0 |

which one takki? You mean the Dublin one?

0 |

s2 • 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
I like the make vars one.

I'll give you an upvote if you buy it

0 |

You should make some board based funny tshirts. We'll all buy one we promise. With catchy slogans like "Im an ss alt" or "Takki votes DUP"

2 |