Choose a discussion

New Star Trek

Have to admit I thoroughly loved the shit out of it.. well apart from the Klingons speech which was too fucking slow for my liking, story so far seems decent enough, actors are doing their thing and hopefully they haven’t spunked the entire seasons worth of their CGI budget on the first two episodes cause it looked fucking good, the picture quality was superb with the HDR really shining through against the deep blacks of space, easily one of the best PQ I’ve yet seen on my TV and its only 1080p BOOOOooo for not filming it in 4K

0 |

HDR off imgur.com/a/Z1ChN HDR on imgur.com/a/pCiaT

0 |

Is it not 4k on Netflix?

I enjoyed it, but I'm going to hold off a bit before giving opinion. There was a few aspects of it that I'm not sure about. I also hope that the whole thing doesn't revolve around the war with the Klingons too much as I really love the exploratory episodes.

0 |

RJ, meant to ask earlier, have you seen any of The Orville yet?

0 |

Enjoyable show, not great 'Trek'

0 |

I think it'll get even better. I'm a lifelong Trekkie. I was impressed. O like the new look of the Klingons and that they kept a lot of the tng onwards lore around their warrior ways and honour system. People will get over the retconned look as well.

Hopefully we get another long series with quality story telling like TNG. Which was poor in season one.

0 |

Interesting 3rd episode. Pretty gory and all.

Think I'm going to be happy with the new Star Trek format, especially since I'm really enjoying The Orville and it's so like the 'old' Star Treks (with a subtle dash of Seth Macfarlane humour added).

0 |

Hated the Orville, enjoying the new Trek

0 |

How many episodes of The Orville have you seen, deazel? I wasn't sure about the first, thought the 2nd was better, enjoyed the 3rd and really liked the 4th episode.

0 |

nah Takki have yet to see the Orville, i'm hearing its not a full on comedy show but ill defo be getting round to watching it, pity its not on Netflix/Prime

0 |

Nah, it's more like the next generation than anything really. Just with far better CGI/sets etc and a wee bit of humour. It works really well. Critics aren't getting it, but viewers are (like how Firefly was received) - 36% MetaCritic 20% Rotten Tomatoes 2/5 Common Sense Media? But when we look at user reviews, we get a different story. 8.1 Metacritic 90% Rotten Tomatoes 93% liked by Google.

www.rottentomatoes.com...

Few cameos in it and all too. It's really enjoyable IMO

0 |

Critics hate Seth too

0 |

He's a shitty comedian though. It's just endless pop culture references. Also look at his fucking face. He's the main reason I'll probably never watch The Orville.

0 |

"Also look at his fucking face. He's the main reason I'll probably never watch The Orville"

lol oh dear

0 |

Seth's in, I'm out.

Never fucks up about Pepperidge Farm in everything he does.

0 |

Why not try watching it first?

Never heard of Pepperidge Farm, either.

0 |

It's mentioned in Family guy, I think it's in Ted, also heard him and Wahlberg talk about it on a talk show.

0 |

Its a poor and unfunny rip off of Star Trek. It will be cancelled this season most likely.

0 |

I guess you must be in the 10% of viewers who haven't liked it then.

0 |

* reviewers

0 |

"- 36% MetaCritic 20% Rotten Tomatoes 2/5 Common Sense Media? " nobody cares about user reviews. And considering those percentages of user reviews are from a pretty small sample size, its really meaningless.

0 |

Metacrtic: 430 ratings. Hardly a good sample.

0 |

I guess we'll see how it goes.

0 |

low reviews from those concerned over the shows white genocide?

0 |

Caught a couple of episodes. Its looks like it has potential. One thing tho. What happened the spore drive for the whole rest of the Star Trek universe?

This predates most of the other shows?

0 |

Yeah, I think you've just got to go with the idea of this being a different universe or something, because it doesn't seem like it'll ever fit. I guess maybe the whole thing will be a massive failure or there will be some horrible side-effect? Because otherwise surely Voyager would have given it a single try at some point.

0 |

Maybe the guy who invented it and is now fused with it dies or becomes some astral being malarkey and pisses off losing the tech and it's creator so it is never recreated

0 |

Is it maybe a mirror universe? There's been a few scenes were peoples reflections do weird stuff. I don't really know about the whole mirror universe side of Star Trek though, think it was from comics or something.

0 |

The Mirror universe was first in an ep of TOS, then there were multiple ones in DS9, and a two patter in Enterprise. Apparently there will some mirror stuff in Discovery, I wonder if maybe Stamets (the fungus guy) is switching back and forth between universes or something, which is why he keeps acting so weird.

Also Clem Fandango is almost certainly the Albino Klingon Voq, that's another theory.

0 |

people get to hung up on shite like that, especially diehard fans who need to take a fucking wise.. i simply enjoy it for what it is, a really decently budgeted proper scifi show

0 |

I don't care too much, it just makes me wonder why they couldn't just make it a post-Voyager setting instead of a prequel. They haven't really done anything so far that would warrant it being a prequel either. Oh and they should have just made their Klingons into some other brand new race, it's too distracting otherwise.

0 |

The episode with the time loop was very, very good. There's been a couple of bad episodes too. Most of the other ST shows got off to a ropey start too, so I think this one has been pretty decent. I like the new take on it, especially as The Orville is going the 'authentic' ST production/story style.

0 |

It's the first series, apart from the original, I've enjoyed.

0 |

I loved DS9, still do, and while I'm very much enjoying this one I haven't really figured out whether I actually like it or not (if that makes any sense). It's got that same thing Westworld season 1 had where you don't really know what's fully going on, so it's hard to properly embrace. Like this weeks episode, I hadn't a fucking clue what was going on with L'Rell, the Klingon woman, she seemed to have a dozen schemes on the go and none of them worked (or did they? etc.) and it was jumbled and messy. The best ep was the time loop one, and I think precisely because it was nearly 100% self-contained.

0 |

Is this on TV or Netflix so I can have a gander?

0 |

It's on Netflix, the first 8 eps are there now, they add them weekly once they're aired in the US (so we'll get 1 more ep before there's a break until January).

0 |

"Like this weeks episode, I hadn't a fucking clue what was going on with L'Rell, the Klingon woman, she seemed to have a dozen schemes on the go and none of them worked (or did they? etc.) and it was jumbled and messy."

Found that too - "hang on, did I just miss something or black out for 5 minutes there?"

I think thats been one of the two main niggling points I have with this ST. I'm still enjoying the spectacle and most of the show in general, but there's been quite a few ropey plot lines/holes and kinda silly 'science' stuff. I know most of the 'science' in previous STs is also made up, but at least it felt like it could be possible.

That Tardigrade lol

0 |

I've thought it's been decent, certainly the best series since ds9.

0 |

Also it's great to have a series that has properly stand alone episodes that are finished in one hour rather than once a 24 ep series.

0 |

I'm enjoying the show, RJ, it just stuck me as odd that they'd have the killer tech that just doesn't exist later in the timeline. Had a read and it is suppsed to take place in the main universe. Will be interesting to see how the deal with the

0 |

It's set in prime universe. They've confirmed that. Klingons new look is just a retcon really. Spore drive will end up being a failure. They've already broken Starfleet's and earth's genetic engineering thing when the engineer modified his genetic code to work with drive. Plus the side effects so that will rule it out at some point as viable tech. There are other propulsion techs in the star trek universe that didn't work out. Federations attempt at transwarp with USS Excelsior in star trek three. Voyager tried some stuff that failed like warp ten experiment that messed up the people involved. So that's why it never made it into mass use after discovery. Prototypes don't always make it.

1 |

Good wee video on the speeds of different ships in Star Trek. This guy has some other cool sci-fi related videos too.

0 |

Watched the time loop episode fuck me that was shite, alright bit hyperbolic but still, the bad guy is shite and as bout as intimidating as Matthew and at the end of it all having proven himself to be a mad bastard they simply let him go!?!? Wtf!? The captain throughout the show has showed himself to have balls be willing to do anything and then suddenly loses his testicle and does a captain fucking Janeway and lets a dangerous criminal go... Fuck AFF.. or did I miss something

0 |

They had to let him go because he was a character who showed up in the Original Series (along with unhappy wife). Another instance of what I call Gotham Syndrome.

1 |

Two episodes of the original series two. One of them is good. One of them is shite. But he is very funny in it.

0 |

*too

0 |

ahh right, so the producers had no choice.. still ffs, the captain shoulda had him tortured

0 |

It made no sense in the context of the show itself. Another reason they didn't need to bother having this be a prequel.

Anyway, this show works well in the moment for me, but it absolutely falls apart once you give it a second thought. So many holes and flaws.

0 |