Choose a discussion

Reckon they deserve their own thread. Great news for rural Internet users. Just another 10 or so years of shite speeds.

0 |

0 |

Just what the earth needs, more space junk. By the time we develop space ships that go to mars we wont be able to get out past the crap floating around the earth.

0 |

Are you KenM, cleandirty? 4,400 satelites will have no effect whatsoever on the amount of available space in earth's orbit.

0 |

"According to the Index of Objects Launched into Outer Space maintained by United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), there are currently 4 256 satellites currently orbiting the planet"

So it will effectively double the amount of satellites in the sky. Add to this the competition from other providers like OneWeb - 700+ satellites, Samsung - 4600 satellites, Google, Facebook etc. etc. and it wont be long before the space around earth starts filling up with crap floating in eternal orbit round the earth. Oh wait it already has. 21,000 pieces of space junk larger than a softball, 500,000 smaller than that, potentially travelling up to 17,500 mph around the earth. www.nasa.gov/mission_p...

"Operating lifetime was estimated at five to seven years per satellite."
So they would have to replace every satellite every seven years or so. What happens to the old ones, leave them there, tow them back to earth?

Elon Musk really does get his balls licked by techy nerds. Hes purely a business man looking to sell you more shit with his space age vision of the future. Hes selling electric cars on earth because were polluting the atmosphere now hes gonna pollute space to sell you some broadband.

0 |

you do realize that a sperical orbit of the earth is rather huge... and Elon musk gets his balls licked cause hes a fucking nice guy unconcerned with making money and more concerned with advancing the human race and yes i do like to tickle the big lads balls

0 |

cleandirty is absolutely right here lads, the amount of satellites is getting hectic. I can't even get to my bathroom without having to step over them for fuck sake.

Last week, someone left a big pile of them at the entrance to tesco and no one could get in or out.

#StapDaSattilaytes

3 |

Cleandirty is the most negative melter I've ever seen on the internet, and that's saying somethin when you think of all the headers in Facebook comments and all. I don't think I have ever seen him be happy or positive about anything. Always there to slip in a bit of criticism.

1 |

hes like Wayne without the Waynisms

0 |

Cleandirty getting it tight here, needs to come out swinging.

0 |

needs nukes

1 |

Cleandirty needs to get in touch with Elon Musk and warn him asap. I bet him, all his advisors and everyone that works on NASA's satelite program have failed to consider space debris. Can we please get Matthew to change his moniker to SatelliteSaviour?

0 |

cleandirty taking a beating here, sad to see

0 |

Earth's surface area is 510.1 millions km squared. We fit satellites between 2000 km and 35786 km altitudes. A space that large won't even be close to being clogged in our lifetimes, never mind by the time the first mission to Mars is launched.

Just picture 15,000 cars driving about Ireland to give this argument a bit of scale.

0 |

Have you none of you lads seen gravity? It wasnt just a lovely wee film but a warning of the future.

0 |

I think we are more at risk from the corruption of the human gene pool if cunts like you are allowed to breed.

0 |

Here comes a new challenger!

0 |

I would give my left nut to work at spacex

0 |

actually, tesla would probably be more realistic.

0 |

"Elon musk gets his balls licked cause hes a fucking nice guy unconcerned with making money"

Hes the CEO of a publically traded company. I think that makes him legally bound to ensure that he is concerned with making money.

0 |

Robust response from cleandirty here, good to see Takki's bullying hasn't traumatised him too much.

0 |

clean, of course they need, and aim, to make money you balloon. just like every other successful company in history. if they dont make money, they'll fail, stagnate, be bought out. what way do you think businesses work?? lol

But anyway, a huge amount of the money which has been and is being used by Musk's various enterprises is funded by himself, the employees and investors. very, very little has come from profits. so up to now, and probably quite a while into the future, your argument about him just doing it to make money is complete nonsense. if he was just after the money, he'd have stayed involved with PayPal and probably got into other ventures which would have been bringing him in massive profits straight away. like most things you give your 2 cents on though, i just think you dont really know what you're talking about here lol

2 |

Lads. Fucking calm down. This is not the spirit that will get mankind to mars.

0 |

Can we not just ban Buzz Killington?

0 |

Banning talk jeesus your Musk fanboiism knows no bounds

0 |

You're the same in every single thread, no matter the topic. Not just this/Musk related. You seem to thrive off trying to bring people's positivity down. It's weird.

1 |

Not every thread i have posted lol occasionally.

0 |

Just trying to create a bit of constructive criticism in a world of over enthusiastic positivity.

1 |

Bit harsh Takki, Cleandirty has upvoted many of my posts so he clearly is capable of appreciating the fine work of a talented handsome individual tbf.

2 |

Your posting transcends regular forumming though. Even clean can't resist your spellbinding word play.

3 |

tbf to clean, if he does want to give a bit of criticism about Musk, he could just talk about how his ventures may never actually become profitable, or profitable to the point we're investors are happy/continue to invest. That is a completely fair and realistic issue which most of his businesses risk. Whether all his work and efforts payout. There's plenty of articles online about it. But Musk is trying a potentially risky strategy for the bigger cause/humanities sake. Not the money.

Kinda the opposite of what clean keeps banging on about.

0 |

Don't let dirty's subsequent arguments distract us from the thorough debunking his original 'space debris' comment received. Do you concede that it was a silly comment, dirty?

0 |

Yeah I must let NASA know that you thoughly debunked that. They can stop spending millions on tracking space debris and recovering old satellites.

0 |

I wish someone would launch you into orbit.

0 |

That's the exact reason why your comment was retarded. NASA's efforts combine with the vast amount of space around earth means we'll easily "be able to get out past the crap floating around the earth."

0 |

Another decent thread dragged down but shit posts almost instantly. No wonder this forum is dying ffs. You can't even start a thread looking to share a bit of excitement/positivity without someone trying to bring it down or having a dig.

1 |

*by shit posts

0 |

tbf i have noticed it getting darker, earlier these past few weeks. I had thought it was just winter but wee spacedirty might be on to something

1 |

Sorry for ruining the discussion forum lads. Didnt realise there was a positive posts only rule.

0 |

Can't agree more takki. Had a rant typed up about another poster a few days ago that I decided to abandon. The constant negativity is a melt. I don't mind it if it's funny, but some people are just being flat out negative.

1 |

fs ladz

0 |

Turn those frowns upside down.

0 |

A lot of the space crap burns up in orbit eventually. Nothing to worry about. But it's good to see that cleandirty is so concerned.

0 |

in fairness, there is a very good Horizon Documentary on the dangers of space junk.

1 |

i61.tinypic.com/29pdgr...

0 |

SpaceX plans five-year lease of Port Canaveral complex for rocket-refurbishing facility, will build a 44,000-square-foot hangar building on the 4-acre site.

www.floridatoday.com/s...

0 |

big fan of musk myself, the gigafacctory is some outfit.

0 |

SpaceX wins NASA contract to launch the Surface Water and Ocean Topography mission in 2021 on Falcon 9, for $112M:

www.nasa.gov/press-rel...

0 |

$100 mill is a bargain, when you think about it

0 |

It only costs $62 to launch the falcon 9, so it looks like SpaceX will make a fortune off this. Probably cost a bit more with a decent payload. I think I remember Musk saying that nasa missions cost a bit more to launch, but still bound to be $30m profit.

0 |

*$62m

0 |