Choose a discussion

Gaming 2017

A potentially great year ahead with games such as Crackdown, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 7, The Legend of Zelda Breath Of The Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn.

New console from Nintendo (Switch) and Microsoft (Project Scorpio)

And potentially find out of VR was a passing gimmick, or if it has legs.

0 |

"As for those games Takki, they are hardly pushing the envelope in terms of absolute state of the art visuals, they are rock steady engines pushing great graphics at 60fps. If the Pro can push something as utterly amazing looking as Horizon @ 4K where is the PC equivalent? with its near twice the horsepower we should be seeing some mind-blowing games, I don’t see how PC gamers aren’t getting Watchdog/Division reveal trailer level graphics with the amount of grunt in even a 1070gtx let alone the 1080 & ti cards."

Games on PC, up to now, have been made so that they can run on older machines *and* newer machines (and/or developed for underpowered consoles) with the emphasis on 1080, and at a push 1440p, so the development hasn't aimed at getting the most performance out of engines/APIs when at 4K resolutions (apart from a few games, mentioned above, which show that decent PCs *can* run 4K at really decent FPS when the development has gone into it).

Now that consoles are getting there, and more PCs are also capable of 4K, I can see plenty more PC games coming out which will look/run as good, if not better, than the PS4 Pro and X1X games which have been released/announced recently.

0 |

Have had a brief go on maybe a DK1 Rift. It was a rollercoaster thing in a big shopping centre in Bangkok. Thought it was good!

There's absolutely loads of VR stuff out now that I'd love to try, tho. So it's not the content that's holding me back, just the hardware and the fact that the next gens of the hardware will be big step ups from what is available now. There's been plenty of news about things recently. Must try and remember to fire the interesting stuff into thee VR thread when I see it.

0 |

As above, PC gaming is more about choice for me. You'll probably not get a massive jump in fidelity and detail between the PC and Pro/X1X but the big difference will be in performance. I don't think you can underestimate the value of a high and steady framerate when it comes to immersing someone in a game. This is where the extra CPU headroom comes into play as I've lost count of the amount of console games that stutter when they hit a bottleneck. That extra headroom comes in handy when playing open world games like the Witcher and GTA, adding a greater level of detail in the background.

I'm playing Overwatch at the moment, bought it for £16.99 in the Blizzard Anniversary sale and I'm hooked, the short games also let me pretend to be a competent parent every so often. I managed to use the baby sling the other day so i could game while the boy slept on my chest.

0 |

#PCMasterDad

0 |

Haha @ gaming with a baby in a sling, what happens when you get that perfect kill and you want to jump up and fistpump? It’s like holding in a big fart…

My kids have now hit the age where we couch co-op Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies2 or the various Lego games which is good craic on a rainy Saturday afternoon, the 6y.o. wee lad now regularly hits mid to top table on online PvZ and the 4y.o. wee girl is building some impressive shit in Minecraft, though she still ignores my attempts to make her buildings more structurally sound

0 |

how good does the new Assassins creed game look? i was never a fan and whilst i enjoyed Black Flag i never really bothered with the others but i gotta say i'll be tempted with the new Egypt one, looks incredible

0 |

Assassin's Creed Origins gameplay

0 |

The thing that always let's down at assassins creed games is the non coherent story. It looks interesting but if its anything like the others its basically just an nice open world with 1000s of things to collect on the map.

0 |

Agree sumguy. The only one I really enjoyed playing was Black Flag. The sailing element was class.

0 |

Hicky, you see that game I posted a video about earlier in the thread? The one were you control a ship at sea? The developers of that are they guys who worked on the sailing part in Black Flag. They've basically taken that, and then built on from it to turn it into a full game. It looks class...

0 |

#PCMasterRace checking in, Poo, Takk...I'm being drawn to a g-sync monitor with high refresh rate. Tell me I need one:

www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-...

0 |

OR

www.ebuyer.com/722327-...

0 |

That sorta price is be looking either ultra wide 1440 or 4K

0 |

1440p is perfect for me....but more FPS and gsync are calling. Think I'll opt with the Acer IPS panel

0 |

Yeah but your spunking over a grand on a monitor that can't do 4K, don't get me wrong 1440 is nice, I have 2 of em in work but with the X1X & Pro plus the 1080's and so and so on the industry is embracing or moving towards 4K and for that money I'd want some future proofing

0 |

Sorry half a grand...

0 |

Most games I play can't hit much over 60fps currently on 1080. It will be a while before I have a PC capable of those high framerates. I'm not liking having to make a choice between G-Sync and Freesync, locking me into either AMD or Nvidia. I'm hoping there's a common adaptive framerate in the near future.

0 |

Plenty of headroom with that monitor tbh. My 1070 should run most AAA shooters around 80-100 fps, it will be years before I have the hardware to push that monitor.

4k isn't going to be a game change for a 27 inch montior either, I would need something bigger.... Like a TV.

The brute force required for 4K would just be too much for my build. I can't see affordable hardware being capable of high fps 4k gaming fot sometime.

I opted for the Acer XB271HU for the IPS panel. Got it from amazon incase I'm not blown away by 144hz, gsync etc. Apparently one of those things you have to see

0 |

adaptive framrate is very good if you play old MAME games, a lot of games have varying framerates (some near 60 like 59 /58 or quite off with 48 etc) which wasn't an issue with CRTs.

1 |

i simply imagine the next generation of cards from AMD & Nvidia will all be able to hit 4K/60 on a single card, i guess staying 1440 means you'll get the higher frame rates but surely to god theres a point where you cant possibly notice? we play urban terror in here at lunchtime, its based on the old Quake3 engine and its the only thing that'll run on half of the machines in here but my laptop with its sli 980's hits over 100fps and i notice no difference playing on that as i do on say a colleagues whose hitting around 50-60

0 |

You run monitors with higher refresh rates in work? Seems a bit pointless for the work you guys do, no? I've been looking to upgrade my Korean 1440p special for a while now, higher refresh and adaptive sync seems to the way to go for me.

4K/60 is possible on a 1080ti but I'm not interested in upgrading my PC anytime. 4K is only going to be a visual upgrade on a much large monitor too, which I don't want. There are also 4k scaling issues on windows.

I looked at 21:9, they look cool, very PCMasterRace but there are loads of issues with games running at that aspect ratio, video content tends to have black bars too.

0 |

If i was PC masterracing and had your budget i'd be buying this badboy www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34... i think Acer & ROC showed off some new gsync ultrawide monitors at CES i cant find the link but they come with HDR as well, may be worth checking those out as before dropping that sorta cash

0 |

there ya go, no price yet, they'll be expensive but if its a hundred or so more than your current budget it would be a no brainer to hold off and have your purchase future proofed with HDR etc www.theverge.com/circu...

0 |

HDR adds a load to games, the HDR in Horizon is phenomenal, the sunlight coming over the mountains and spilling into the valley is crazily realistic and bright as fuck to look at it

1 |

LOL @ a hundred or so...that monitor will be stupid money - 4k, HDR, 144Hz, g-sync. I'd say well over a grand, maybe closer to 2.

As above, 4k gaming will not be a noticeable visual upgrade on a 27" screen. I thought about HDR, more likely a function I look for with my next TV purchase in a few years.

0 |

Not sure about those monitors, Deck. I'm sure they're much of a muchness. Games will look amazing on either. The higher FPS and G-SYNC makes a huge difference.

I think I'm happy to stick with 1080p/144hz until 4k/144hz monitors are run of the mill/normal money. Could see me getting a VR headset in a year or two anyway and will probably be happy with that and current monitor for visuals until the 4k panels come down a good bit.

0 |

There seems little between them tbh

Asus:
TN panel so 1ms response time
Better menus
Some reviewers like the base and stand more

Acer
IPS panel so superior viewing angles and color with slightly slower 4ms response time
Menus a bit annoying
Over 100 quid cheaper than Asus' comparable IPS monitor

oh and Takk's loves for ASUS, so had to get Acer

Will report back when it arrives tomorrow. If i don't perceive a massive jump in 60 vs 120/144/165 Hz or see the premium of G-sync then it goes back to amazon. Due to the nature of these things, I can't simply watch a video to see what a higher framerate or g-sync looks like.

Games I'm planning to test:

BF One
Overwatch
CS:GO
Rocket League
Doom
The Division

0 |

lol definitely best to avoid ASUS

You'll def see an improvement with the higher frame rate and G-SYNC, Deck. Everything just seems so much smoother, clearer and sharp. I was a little unsure about it, but the amount of reviews and things were people said it makes a massive difference, especially in fast action/aiming games like CSGO, I just took the plunge. It's definitely noticeable though.

0 |

nearly every PC i've built for myself and friends has had Asus boards in them :D

I can't hit much over 60fps on BF1 with a 1070 and often see it in the high 40s - although I have a fairly old PC with DDR3 and an 2500k OC'd to 4.5

1 |

www.pcgamer.com/why-hu...

This looks the ticket..

Easily the best thing I saw at E3, Hunt: Showdown is DayZ, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Stalker. It’s the rare game that borrows so many ideas from so many genres that it ends up feeling completely unlike anything else.

And from Crytek...

0 |

0 |

The animations look desperate in that.

btw, those ultrawide monitors are a pain in the hole, so many games don't support that ratio and you end up with black bars on the sides.

0 |

Loving that games are starting to have permadeaths more often now. No Man's Sky put in a permadeath mode and it's pretty much all I've played of it since. I love how it actually makes you weight up the pro's and con's of your actions. Makes you think a lot more and plan. Games have been made too easy this past while by having checkpoints, re-spawns, zero repercussions to dying, etc.

0 |

Ultrawide monitors are great for hardcore spreadsheeting tho lads.

0 |

Yeah [POo, they look cool but absolutely useless for gaming.

Monitor dispatched, now just to get a few bottles of calpol to sedate a 4 week old baby.

X

0 |

XCOM 2 has permadeath, which wasn't oo bad when I first started playing it.

then I played it on a harder setting with 'ironman' enabled (basically you can't roll back save files) - this was detrimental to my mental health. One wrong move and half my team was dead

0 |

Portal 2 would look lovely on that new monitor, Deck

0 |

The only thing about permadeath is it is used way too often to hide lack of content in games. All to often games with permadeath rely on the first 20 or so death cycles to just grind you through the game and after you are able to suss out how to stay alive you realise there isn't much more on offer.

0 |

I have so little gaming time that permadeath would be a nitemare for me, nah teacup easymode FTW...

Seriously no love for this ultra wide monitors?? I imagine they'd be pretty immersive to play seeing as you pcmasterrace all hunch over a wee desk in the corner of your living room, besides surely all the modern games either support it or patch it in

0 |

Permadeath in DayZ used to be hilarious, your mate would spend 45 minutes running all the way across the map to meet up with us, looting on the way, finally arrive tooled and ready to rock and then you'd shoot the cunt and loot his dead body to the screams of his frustration and death threats... Tears would litterally be flying I'd be laughing that hard

1 |

about the ultrawides, a lot of games don't even support a decent FOV on 16:9 never mind beyond.

0 |

Yeah, I've they are more hassle than they are worth...look pretty though and hardcore spreadsheeting.

Monitor arrived yesterday, a few teething problems but I'm blown away so far. the smooth movement and responsive just adds another layer of realism. Even just moving the pointer across the desktop is satisfying

Tried a few different games and setups:

Counterstrike @ 144-165Hz 1440p max settings, probably the most impressive title for some reason. it seemed like a different game entirely.

Doom, FPS uncapped with gsync 1440p ultra - very responsive, but not a massive jump. I think its one of those games that looks and plays well no matter what setup you have it on.

Overwatch @ 144Hz - doesn't seem to like gsync but very noticeable improvement on how the game plays.

Got a few more titles to try out including BF one and Titanfall 2, an see myself just playing first person shooters all summer.

Picture and color a very noticeable improvement over my old panel, the stand is pretty nice to use as well...although anything would be after using a korean knock off for the past 5 years

0 |

"Even just moving the pointer across the desktop is satisfying"

haha had a bit of a moment with the cursor and log in screen when I got my monitor too

0 |

You still using the cardboard box stack monitor riser?

0 |

Yeah, getting something a bit more sturdy today. Gonna build an ikea hack standing desk, as I don't want my monitor to die

0 |

Poo, what ASUS mobo do you have and what settings are you running for your overclock?

0 |

#PCMasterRace

Anyone grabbing any deals in the Steam Summer Sale?

0 |

Nephise - 1,49€
EMPORIUM - 0,99€
The Detail Episode 1 - Where the Dead Lie - 0,51€

picked these up for chep. just some short experiences that are good for the summer when i cant be bothered playing anything long. Gave up on styx master of shadows as the controls were doing my head in. Thinking of picking up firewatch or scanner sombre in the sale aswell.

0 |

Takki, it's an ASUS P8 Z68-V GEN3 with a 2500K processor - I hope you don't expect to see all my overclock settings. I just followed a guy on youtube with the exact same board and processor

0 |

That's the same mobo as mine. Just wouldn't mind seeing your voltages and shiz. Could you take a pic of the setting in BIOS and upload somewhere? Just wanting to see if yours are any/much different from my settings, as I'm still getting a worker error on Prime95 when I stress test.

0 |