Choose a discussion

Gaming 2017

A potentially great year ahead with games such as Crackdown, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 7, The Legend of Zelda Breath Of The Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn.

New console from Nintendo (Switch) and Microsoft (Project Scorpio)

And potentially find out of VR was a passing gimmick, or if it has legs.

0 |

sick sick sick

0 |

All I've played for the last 6 weeks is Zelda on the switch. Its a master piece in gaming.

1 |

Couldn't think of anything worse

1 |

Scorpio will be called Xbox One X, launching in November for $499 (no word on GBP/EUR price yet).

They showed Anthem, next game from Bioware. Looks visually fantastic, basically an Avatar type world as a sandbox, mixed with a fair bit of Destiny.

0 |

That new Metro game looks stunning, too. The new Xbox is looking like it's going to be some machine. Wonder why MS are keeping shush about the VR side, tho. Maybe saving for nearer release? I read something about potential wireless headset, but nothing concrete. I could be tempted by One X, though Sony are bound to have something up their sleeve.

0 |

I dunno about VR, it seems to me that they're hanging back a bit, it's not like any of the current hardware is a runaway success, so another year or year and a bit cooking something untethered could make something a lot more special.

I don't know if Sony would have anything up their sleeve, I think the PS4 Pro was that.

0 |

Yeah, but i think all the big players know that if they don't get in early with VR, they could miss the first boat, and I'm sure MS knows thst. They've got left behind on the hardware side too many times (phones, tablets, laptops/desktops), but they seem to be putting a lot into the the console, and VR is going to be an important part of that sooner or later.

Here's the article I was reading easier - www.theverge.com/2017/...

0 |

0 |

Xbox One X - £449 in UK

Microsoft unveils Xbox One X - www.bbc.co.uk/news/tec...

0 |

Come play all your old games on the Xbox one x.

It looks great but it needs games. The rest of the conference was meh apart from anthem which looks interesting

0 |

Some cool looking games been announced at E3 this year. Definitely been a noticeable jump in GFX power also. Don just mean in resolution, either. The lighting and detail of environments definitely looks a lot better and more realistic.

0 |

Bioware's Anthem i think its called looked pretty incredible as did the new Assassins Creed which i'll defo be picking up

0 |

Shadow of the Colossus remastered.

0 |

Liking the look of these, as well as the two above I posted:

South Park The Fractured but Whole E3 2017 Trailer

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus E3 2017 Reveal

The Last Night on Xbox One - 4K Trailer

Assassin's Creed: Origins World Premiere + Gameplay

A Way Out Official Gameplay Trailer

Skull & Bones E3 2017 Reveal

0 |

Also see that Skyrim, Fallout and Doom are all coming to VR, too.

0 |

The Last Night looks the best, but then it's also written by an MRA that soyuz might admire.

0 |

this site has all the trailers and a countdown to the events. e3recap.com

1 |

What's an MRA, Matthew?

0 |

"Men's Rights Activist"

0 |

Destiny 2 moved forward by two days. #hypetrain

0 |

Its not out till september no need to get excited about 2 days.

0 |

pulled the plug last night after seeing all these upcoming games and went and bought a Pro with Horizons & Wipeout for £349, by the time it copied everything over i managed about 15mins of Horizon and by fuck is it gorgeous, absolute looker.. also stuck on Tomb Raider as i've been bating my way through it and I instantly noticed the difference in the jump to 4K with much sharper visuals, looking forward to blasting Wipeout out later.

0 |

you gave up on Horizon after 15 minutes! your getting worse lad.

1 |

horizon looks a bit boring from the few letsplays i have watched. but 15 mins is shocking to give up on a open world game.

0 |

Faux-K console RJ...but I've heard that Horizon Zero Dawn looks fantastic regardless of the graphical trickery going on behind the scenes.

I still haven't invested in a 4K TV, waiting for PC hardware to drop a bit in price to run native 4K @ 60fps.

0 |

I'd stick to 1080 and 144hz framerate - could even be 240hz by the time I upgrade.

0 |

You think there'd be much benefit with 240Hz over 144Hz, Poo?

0 |

Horizon is amazing. Dont give up on it after 15mins and my destiny post was sarcasim. Still have it pre ordered

0 |

1440p @ 60 fps is the sweet spot for me. Not sure my brain would cope with high framerate gaming, too many nights in the Mandela have ravaged my hand-coordination

0 |

Destiny2 is 30fps on the PSpro and Xbox one x? seriously?!

0 |

haha@giving up after 15mins.. by the time i got it loaded it was near midnight so i only whacked it on for a looksie, need to get an evening to myself to get stuck into it, from my brief playthrough @4K the graphics looked incredible, even though its faux 4K the difference is night and day, cant wait to see Wipeout on it, hell i'm even thinking about replaying Uncharted 4 & TLOU

0 |

you really haven't jumped on the 4K bandwagon Decks? definite big upgrade in picture quality over 1080

0 |

I've been holding out for a few reasons.

- I have one of the Panasonic plasmas that were made following the death of the Pioneer Kuro range. Pretty much every LCD/LED tvs released since would have been a step down. OLED/QLED 4K screens with HDR finally look like a real upgrade for me and are becoming more affordable.

- Native 4K gaming @ 60 fps is still pretty expensive. I only upgraded to the GTX 1070 last year which is the sweet spot for 1440p gaming. I'm happy with my current setup of gaming on my 1440p IPS Monitor or my 1080p plasma.

Digital Foundry have been looking at PC 4k on a budget as well as what can be learned from the PS4 Pro. Some of the stuff done with checkerboarding, upscaling and dynamic resolutions look fantastic on the consoles but such functions aren't available on PC games, apart from a few. I might look into a 4K tv if some of these methods become mainstream in PC game development or leave it a bit longer until a native 4K build is affordable. Sure I could probably tweak settings and settle for 30fps and buy one now but that's not the way I like to play my games.

0 |

I'd say a lot of the optimisation to allow native 4K at decent FPS on the Xbox One X will also help with the same games, and maybe others, on Windows. MS seem to be pushing to bring together the two platforms as much as possible.

0 |

I dunno takki, I think a lot of that optimisation is hardware oriented.

1 |

I think the native 4k target is only for 1st party MS games, the rest can use the sort of wizardry that the PS pro sues for Faux-K.

I agree if can only be a good thing for PC gaming and developers will be thinking of ways to hit 4k at 30fps at least.

Both consoles working with fairly limited CPUs though, so we can expect games just to get prettier and nothing else in terms of AI, physics etc.

0 |

So, any good games out there?

0 |

Done enough fpshooting over the winter to do me for a while, between Overwatch, BF1 and Titanfall2. it's sports games season.. waiting patiently on The Golf Club 2 released next week, Rory McIlroy is filling the gap in the meantime

Didn't watch any of E3, did i read somewhere that xboxOneX won't be a leap in terms of gameplay so much as graphics leap because all the games will have to be released across all platforms? can't be right

0 |

4K @ 60fps with all the bells and whistles is a pipe dream now to all those not rocking an sli 1080ti, its coming but the problem is as the hardware slowly catches up the developers keep pushing the visuals to even more extremes.

60fps @ 4K is lovely, played some wipeout last night and it was smooth as butter and clean as hell visually but the graphics take a hit so you lose a lot of post processing effects and environmental details whereas Horizon just goes balls to the wall with the graphics and pretty much maintains a rock steady 30fps which is perfectly acceptable to me, so I’d choose the visuals over the higher frame rate (ideally would love both) played some more Horizon last night and by fuck its stunning, the draw distance is huge and so far its easily the best looking game I’ve played to date how the hell Guerrilla Games managed Uncharted4 Level graphics on an open world game in 4K is nothing short of a technical masterpiece on a £350 black box.

Deck you have one of the last great panny plasma’s, sure there’s people still holding onto their Kuro’s ffs but if I was you id be looking at this bad boy www.avforums.com/revie... as a really good upgrade, hell I would if it wasn’t for the fact that my Sony is still wowing me so will do me until High Frame rate TV’s and content become a reality, but you’re seriously missing out on some fantastic content and picture quality sticking with old tech.

As for Xbox 1X, seriously fantastic job by MS engineers.. the fecking size of the thing but personally I can’t see it helping MS regain any new ground, its not a generational leap over the Pro which it really needed to be, it’ll simply be like the PS4/X1 situation.. games on the X1X will hit native 4K more often with slightly better graphics in comparison to the Pro but by adding another 4K console into the mix means more support for the Pro so its win for Sony as well and with retail bundles set to sell around the £500 mark why wouldn’t the gamer hardcore simply get a PC? Sure all MS exclusives will now be playable on PC meaning there’s no real reason for them to buy it when a few hundred more gets a PC that’s upgradable and will always be at the front of the pack..

0 |

4K/60fps is do-able on a single 1080ti, but you sometimes have to make the odd sacrifice on features like nvidia gameworks. Destiny 2 was playable at 4k 60fps on ultra settings at E3, very impressive for a game still in development.

I can see it becoming a lot more affordable next year as nvidia's 70 range tends to out perform the previous year's titan and 80ti range. The pro consoles should hopefully drive pc pricing down a bit as well.

30fps just isn't the way I like to play games, motion feels slow and unresponsive, I'd rather sacrifice resolution and settings for frames per second...but sure that is the joy of PC gaming, personal choice.

That is a very nice TV but outside my budget of £2k, although it will probably drop to that next year. I'm definitely missing out on nice content, which is why I never go into Richer Sounds. Once I see a 4k HDR screen, my Tv will look shite forever. Ignorance is bliss

0 |

It is interesting to see how Sony has moved away from technical targets with the Pro, they have probably clicked on that most people don't care how many pixels are on screen.

The start of this gen was marked with Sony constantly targeting 1080p over the MS 900p, sometime to to detriment of performance. Now with the Pro and X1, the positions are reversed. Both of these still feel like niche products, i can't see the majority of gamers wanting to make the upgrade. While there are PC gamers that upgrade all the time, there are still those rocking 4-5 year old GPUs and playing modern games...all depends on how much of an upgrade junky a person is.

0 |

Doom runs at 4K on PC with high FPS fairly easily, too. I think we'll see a good few more games coming out for PC with manageable 4K now that the devs are going to be pushing for it to be the 'cream of the crop' with decent FPS.

We've already seen a few PC games which can do it (Doom, Titanfall 2, Dark Souls III, and a good few others), and now there's been a good few announcements for Xbox One X games which run well at 4K, so the devs must be coming up with ways to do it better and utilise graphics engines and APIs to give better results.

I think the reason most of PC games have been hard to run at 4K up to now is because they've been made to look as best they can at lower resolutions, and when people have pushed them up to 4K, it's just been too much due to the games being optimised to have the best visuals/effects at lower res.

0 |

I’m looking forward to Digital Foundry’s comparisons come the release of the X1X, ms fanboys have been getting it hard from the sony lot for 900p whilst the PC Masterace look on in condescending bemusement, now it’ll be PC>X1X>Pro>Ps4>X1, it’ll be interesting to see what that extra 2 flops bring to the table..

As for those games Takki, they are hardly pushing the envelope in terms of absolute state of the art visuals, they are rock steady engines pushing great graphics at 60fps. If the Pro can push something as utterly amazing looking as Horizon @ 4K where is the PC equivalent? with its near twice the horsepower we should be seeing some mind-blowing games, I don’t see how PC gamers aren’t getting Watchdog/Division reveal trailer level graphics with the amount of grunt in even a 1070gtx let alone the 1080 & ti cards.

Have you not jumped on the VR bandwagon yet Takk or are you waiting till 2nd Gen? Going to a mates bbq tomorrow and he has a PSVR so finally getting a chance to see what it’s like as my only reference is google cardboard

0 |

Forgot about Doom and Titanfall, both optimised well for the PC. Overwatch is another title that can easily run at a native 4K on the PC. The majority of games are still developed with the consoles in mind and PC as an afterthought, so the optimisation, graphical assets and features are not consistently there.

I'm not sure the X1 is going to blow the Ps Pro out of the water tbh. Early analysis of Harlem on the X1X has show they are using the same techniques used in other Faux K titles rather than output in a native 4k - the end result is they still look fantastic. The X1X sill held back by a fairly limited CPU, which is roughly on par with an i3.

Its worth noting that Horizon doesn't run in 4K, it uses techniques such a checkboard rendering and temporal AA to run at a lower resolution and upscale to 4K. PC games do not consistently have these features, so its a choice of running at native resolution or not.

Re: The division or watchdogs, both ubsioft games with a history of downgrading games post E3 reveals. Tbf, the Division in 1440p with high/ultra settings looks amazing and well within the scope of the GTX 1070.

Doom is another stunner when settings are cranked up and of course the Witcher 3 scales really well on the PC.

0 |

load of arma stuff going chape for it's 16 birthday promotion 66% discount on everything - ore.steampowered.com/a...

0 |

Yeah I think Horizon runs at just below 4K then whatever magic checkerboarding does upscales it to 4K, I was taking a few moments out last night to have a ganders at the game up close and by fuck its damn near impossible to tell it’s not resolving every single pixel, the detail is absolutely pin sharp as are the textures on everything when the camera is right up against it, how or why this technology or technique or whatever voodoo magic is employed is not utilized on PC is beyond me, do modern PC games give you the option for say 3K with checkerboarding up to 4K?

Yeah I’ve seen the Division running on ultra in 1440p and it still looks nowhere near as good as that trailer reveal which had movie level lighting & shadowing, it’s like you said they musten be able to have those effects in the game engine when it’s a cross platform game, pity as PC games should be magnitudes better than the Pro/X1X especially with an i3 comparable processor in a console.

I’d love to play Doom but I just can’t play FPS’s of that speed with a joypad, would need M/K

0 |

what are you playing at the minute deck?

0 |

I'm waiting until the VR headsets get a bit better before buying. Couldn't justify the outlay at the minute. Let us know what you think of PSVR.

0 |

Really looking forward to trying it, he wants me to bring my pro up as it improves the games visually but am I fuck as I’ll be day drinking with the mates and I’m not having my pro lying about up at his place and some cunt standing on it or somit, yeah will report back my views, I’m really hoping to be blown away tbh as cardboard was more of a novelty and even with the 2K screen on my note4 it still looked like you were sitting really close to a screen with the screendoor effect so hopefully the added horsepower of a PS4, coupled with better lens and proper games make the experience a lot better.

0 |

have you had a chance to check out PSVR or Rift/Vive?

0 |