Choose a discussion

Great Articles

www.newyorker.com/maga...

0 |

When Janni Schofield wasn't even a month old, she was able to correctly identify colours. At 1 year old, she could read. At 18 months, she could speak fluently. What her parents originally took for genius turned out to be a something much darker.
www.smh.com.au/lifesty...

2 |

The tale of how one researcher has made nearly every scientific paper ever published available for free to anyone, anywhere in the world.
bigthink.com/neurobonk...

0 |

That one about the kid with mental health problems was bit mad. The dad was assessing, evaluating and over analysing that child from the minute it was born. He was more cause than cure.

0 |

Kid was broken the day it formed in the womb, there's nothing they could've done to prevent it, sad story to go from fuck yeah my kids a genuis to my kid has a severe brain malfunction

0 |

interesting read. googled schizophrenia there for a few more reads / watches, .50secs
Haha

I'd love to work with shamans like this.

0 |

Good stuff, Jim. Quality lunch time reading.

1 |

THE LIBYA GAMBLE

A 3 part examination of the American intervention in Libya and Hillary Clinton’s role in it.

Great in depth article.
mobile.nytimes.com/201...

0 |

Love those sorts of videos, soyuz. The human mind when it's 'broke' is so interesting. Poor people, though. Must be horrible being tricked by your own mind.

0 |

'Being Prey' - Australian philosopher Val Plumwood's account of surviving a crocodile attack
kurungabaa.net/2011/01...

0 |

was enjoying that until about page 7.

0 |

I'd love to spend some time floating about the Northern Territories. such an unforgiving place.

0 |

Aye it turns a bit wanky towards the end.

Have an aussie mate that spends a month in the northern territories every year. Him and a mate go up to camp and fish. He was telling me he's had huge salties come alongside his boat a few times. Shit scary.

1 |

The Secret History of Tiger Woods from Wright Thompson. Brilliant stuff. Man was/is a looper

espn.go.com/espn/featu...

0 |

I was enjoying it when I had it in my imagination it was some bloke, but then about ch7 she announces herself to be some female and brings "a rape" symilie, for want of knowing what the real term is ... about a crocodile attack, hahaha.

3rd wave feminists literally ruin everything, even a good crocodile story.

0 |

she forgot to mention had she been male the ranger wouldn't have come looking for her a few hours after he noticed the light in her van wasn't on. if she was male, he would have died of his wounds.
make privilege you know.

0 |

great story though, until chapter 7.

0 |

Busting a $70 Million Counterfeiting Ring: The downfall of a legendary team of forgers, whose bogus bills were so good they’re still in circulation.

www.bloomberg.com/feat...

0 |

The Case Against Reality: A professor of cognitive science argues that the world is nothing like the one we experience through our senses.

www.theatlantic.com/sc...

1 |

optimalprediction.com/...

1 |

The Comedian Comedians Were Afraid Of

nymag.com/news/feature...

0 |

China’s Twilight Years: The country’s population is aging and shrinking. That means big consequences for its economy—and America’s global standing.

www.theatlantic.com/ma...

0 |

Not an article as such but a collection of creepy stories from a Search and Rescue Officer for the US Forest Service. At the end of each post is a link to the next part with more stories - www.reddit.com/r/nosle...

0 |

Read that a while back. Great stories. I didn't know what r/nosleep was when I first read them. Was disappointed when I found out.

0 |

that's a creepy read, quality

0 |

nice. sent that to a few people I know love that kind of stuff. the one with the dog and the bell was very good.

"I almost always camp waaaay out, I'm talking 30-40 miles down unnamed dirt roads, up mountains, in canyons, etc. A couple years ago I was camping alone out on a prairie flat, halfway surrounded by a forest. It's nearly winter and there's not a soul within 50 miles I bet. My big hound dog was with me, as always. It was cooold, like well below freezing, so I had a roaring campfire going. Jake the dog was in & out, he'd wander off for awhile, get cold, and come back for attention and warmth. He has a bell around his collar so I can know where he is. I'm drinking beer and listening to music, so I'm not paying much attention to his whereabouts. Mind you, it's pitch black out there other than the stars. So after about 20 minutes, I hadn't seen Jake, so I call him. Nothing. I turn off my music and call louder. Nothing for about 5 minutes. I hear his bell, so I'm relieved. I heard his bell behind me, which was odd, the treeline was in front of me, where he had been sniffing around earlier. Thinking he was nearby, I relaxed and refocused on chopping some more wood. I could faintly hear his bell jingling behind me still, sometimes closer or further, and I figured he was doing the hound dog's job and smelling all around. I'd say about 40 minutes goes by, and I hadn't heard his bell or seen him. So I call him again, and get up to walk towards the treeline. Big dark forest of ponderosa pine looms in front of me. I shine my fairly bright flashlight around and into the trees. Nothing. No sound, no sight. I'm starting to get nervous, getting "the willies" or whatever you want to call it. I hear some crunches in the woods, like sticks and stuff breaking. Not knowing where my dog is, or much of anything other than "ok I'm going back to the fire where my shotgun is". I get back to my truck and my fire when I hear absolute PANIC barking from directly in front of me, from the treeline. Tearing across the field is my dog at full tilt. You could never mistake a hound dog's panic bark from a bey or a yip or whatever else, it's unlike anything. He ran behind me for a moment, and then underneath my truck. Here's the creepy part: no bell. He had his collar on, and the bell was clipped to it with a carabiner. Sure as shit I put us both in the cab of the truck for the rest of that frozen night. To this day I still have no clue who or what was wearing that bell behind me for a few hours on a rural prairie flat in winter."

0 |

those are the nights you wish you had a shotgun too.

0 |

reading through this one posted further down...gripping:

Part 1: m.reddit.com/r/nosleep...

Part 2: m.reddit.com/r/nosleep...

Part 3: m.reddit.com/r/nosleep...

Part 4: m.reddit.com/r/nosleep...

0 |

I don't want to go to Oregon anymore.

0 |

holy fuck, read these into the night last night and proper spooked myself, had these mad dreams. one of them I was out camping somewhere with mates and went for a swim. want under the water for a second and when I came back up everyone was gone. had this eerie feeling I was being watched while swimming back to shore. suddenly the sun disappeared behind some clouds and these shapes started coming out of the trees, about 4 type 2 diabetics and 2 type 1s. the type 1s started asking for my insulin, that they were going to suck it out of me. the type 2s were after my 6 pack of cola and fizzy haribo multipack sweets I brought along for everyone.
I took off like fuck and as I was running all I could hear was the panting of the diabetics behind me trying to keep up but thankfully they couldn't because they are diabetics and I am not. I woke up with a big smile on my face, one of the best sleeps I've ever had ahhhhh.

1 |

I was reading the SAR stories thinking how many fucking 4 yr olds can disappear in a forest

0 |

Here's a list of all the stories by that person: earchandrescuewoods.tu...

lol I had to stop reading them the other night soyuz as I was having fairly hardcore fear from a hangover and then was freaking myself out by the creepy stories. Was worried I'd get mental dreams and hardly sleep a wink before having to get up for work. Great stuff, though. Gotta love a good quality mind fuck. Doesn't happen much these days.

0 |

Your man needs a job at Campo Santo

0 |

I found a staircase very similar to the ones you've mentioned, I've told this story many times so please forgive the well worn rhetoric. I found the staircase while walking through foliage so thick I didn't see it until it was almost underfoot. The stairs were made of loose cobble and moist earth like they were a work of masonry once, long ago. They were dusted with shards of worn glass and shreds of burnt parchment, at the base I found a rusted tin medallion no larger than a coin resting on the moss. Now I couldn't have been too far from civilization but in that moment I felt like I was the only human on earth, standing there wrapped in walls of leaves and branches. I climbed the stairs thoughtlessly, effortlessly, half expecting there to be a landing to greet me at the top. There wasn't though. Just another crumbly step and an unimpressive view. I could see the red tin roof of the DPW yard I cut through to get here, and beyond it glistening smoke-stacks reached up towards the clouds, spilling white smoke into the clear blue sky. Each stack topped by a hazy red light blinking lazily, beckoning me back to reality. To my right the tall, thick brambles bled into cat tails that stretchedall the way to a distant tree line. Something caught my eye as I craned my head, the bushes were packed tight except where the stumps of long dead trees formed sunken wells around them, and from one of the craters someone was looking at me, their gaze fixed. I remember clearly their dark, lean face, their round eyes black like the eyes of a doll flashing in the sun. No sooner had I seen the face than it disappeared again, only then did I have the foresight to take off down the steps and back through the bushes and brambles towards the buildings I could no longer see. It's a different world in the bushes, a claustrophobic world of sharp sticks and thin corridors, a blur of green and black that blots out the sun. Thankfully I was younger then, my feet carried me over the marshy ground and delivered me to freedom, delivered me to the chainlink fence that drew the line between realities and the hole I'd cut that blurred it. It was on that day I swore never to visit Portadown again.

3 |

Liked reading them. Some eerie ones

1 |

Lads, I can't get onto the websites they're on in work so if someone wants to copy and paste a couple of the better creepy one that'd be great.

0 |

Missing kids are the most heart-breaking. Doesn't matter what circumstances they go missing under, it's never easy, and we always, always dread the ones we find deceased. It's not common, but it does happen. David Paulides talks a lot about kids SAR teams find in places they shouldn't be, or couldn't be. I can honestly say I've heard about this kind of thing happening more than I've seen it, but I'll share one of the ones that I think about a lot that I witnessed personally. A mother and her three kids were out for a picnic in an area of the park that has a small lake. One is six, one is five, and the other is about three. She's watching them all really closely, and according to her, she never lets them out of her sight at any time. She never saw anyone else in the area either, which is important. She packs their stuff up and they start to head back to the parking area. Now, this lake is only about two miles into the woods, and it's on a very clearly established trail. It's almost impossible to get lost getting from the parking area to it, unless you're deliberately going off the path like an imbecile. Her kids are walking in front of her, when she hears what sounds like someone coming up the path behind her. She turns around, and in the four or so seconds she's not looking, her five-year-old son vanishes. She figures he's stepped off the trail to pee or something, and she asks her other two where he went. They both tell her that 'a big man with a scary face' came out of the woods next to them, took the kid's hand, and led him into the trees. The two remaining kids don't seem upset, in fact she says later that it seems like they've been drugged. They're sort of spacey and fuzzy. So of course, she freaks out, starts looking frantically in the area for her kid. She's screaming his name, and she says at one point she thinks she heard him answer her. Now obviously she can't go blindly running into the woods, she's got the other two kids, so she calls the police and they send us out immediately. We respond, and we start the search for him.Over the course of this search, which spans miles, we never find a single trace of the kid. Canines can't pick up any scent, we don't find any clothing or broken bushes or literally anything that would signify a child being there. Of course there's suspicion about the mother for a while, but it's pretty clear that she's completely destroyed by the whole thing. We looked for this kid for weeks, with a lot of volunteer help. But eventually, the search peters out, and we have to move on. The volunteers keep searching, though, and one day we get a call on the radio letting us know that a body has been found and needs to be recovered. They tell us the location, and none of us can believe it. We figure it has to be a different kid. But we go out there, about 15 miles from the site where he vanished, and sure enough, we find the body of the kid we've been looking for. I have been trying to figure out how this kid got where he did ever since we found him, and I've never come up with an answer. A volunteer just happened to be in the area, because he figured he might as well look in places no one else would think to on the off chance the body had been dumped. He comes to the base of a tall, rocky slope, and half-way up, he sees something. He looks through his binoculars and sure enough, it's the body of a little boy, stuffed in a little opening in the rock. He recognizes the color of the kid's shirt, so he knows right away that it's the missing boy. That's when he calls it in, and we're dispatched. It took us almost an hour to get his body down, and none of us could believe what we were seeing. Not only was this kid 15 miles from where he'd started, there was no possible way he could have gotten up there on his own. This slope is treacherous, and it's hard even for us with our climbing gear. A five-year-old boy had no way of getting up there, of that I'm certain. Not only that, but the kid doesn't have a scratch on him. His shoes are gone, but his feet aren't damaged or dirty. So it wasn't as if an animal dragged him up there. And from what we can tell, he hasn't been dead that long. He'd been out there over a month by that point, and it looked like he'd only been dead for, at most, a day or two. The whole thing was unbelievably strange, and was one of the most disconcerting calls I've ever been on. We found out later that the coroner determined the kid had died from exposure. He'd frozen to death, probably late at night two days before we found him. There were no suspects, and no answers. To date, it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

0 |

A lot of my less outdoorsy friends want to know if I've ever seen the Goatman while I've been out on calls. Unfortunately, or I guess fortunately, I've never had anything quite like that happen. I guess the closest was the whole 'black-eyed man' thing, but I didn't see anything. However, there was one call where I had something kind of similar happen, but I'm not sure I'm willing to chalk it up to the Goatman. We'd gotten a report that an older woman had fainted along one of the trails, and needed assistance getting back down to the main area. We hike up to where she's at, and her husband is just beside himself. He runs, well, I guess more jogs, to us, and tells us that he was a little ways off the trail looking at something when his wife starts screaming behind him. He runs back to her and she's passed out on the trail. We get her on a backboard, and as we're getting her down to the welcome center, she comes to and starts screaming again. I calm her down and ask her what happened. I can't remember verbatim what she said, but essentially, what happened was this: She'd been waiting for her husband when she started hearing this really strange sound. She said it sounded sort of like a cat, but it was off somehow, and she couldn't quite figure out why. She went a little ahead to try and hear it better, and it sounded like it was coming closer. She said the closer it got, the more uneasy she was, until she finally figured out what was wrong. I do remember this next part, because it was so weird that I don't think I could forget it if I tried. "It wasn't a cat. It was a man, saying the word 'meow' over and over. Just 'meow, meow, meow'. But it wasn't a man, it couldn't have been, because I've never heard a man make his voice buzz like that. I thought my hearing aid was going out, but it wasn't, I adjusted it and it still sounded all buzzy. It was awful. He was coming closer, but I couldn't see him. And the closer he got the more scared I was, and the last thing I remember was a shape coming out of the trees. I guess that's when I fainted." Now, obviously I'm a little perplexed as to why a guy would be out in the fucking woods chanting 'meow, meow' at people. So once we get down the mountain, I tell my superior that I'm gonna go search the area to see if I can find anything. He gives me the go ahead, and I grab a radio and hike back to where she fainted. I don't see anyone, so I keep going about a mile more, and I when I head back I go off the trail, to see if I can figure out where she saw him coming from. It's almost sunset by this point, and I don't have any desire to be out at night alone, so I just sort of write it off and make a mental note to check it out again tomorrow. But as I'm headed back, I start to hear something in the distance. I stop, and I call out for anyone in the immediate area to identify themselves. The sound didn't come closer or get louder, but it sounded exactly like a man saying 'meow, meow' in this really odd monotone. As comical as it makes it sound, it was almost like that guy on South Park with the electrolarynx, Ned. I go off the trail in the direction I think it's coming from, but I never seem to get closer. It's almost like it's coming from all directions. Eventually, it just sort of fades out, and I ended up going back to the welcome center. I didn't get any further reports like that, and even though I went back to that area, I never heard that exact sound again. I suppose it could have been some stupid kid out there fucking with people, but even I have to admit it was weird.

0 |

If you start to get freaked out, start reading the stories in the style of the guy in The Simpsons that teaches Barney how to fly a helicopter.

0 |

I honestly don't know how I'd forgotten this story, but it is, by far, the scariest thing that's happened to me. I guess maybe I've tried so long to forget about it that it just didn't come to mind right away. As someone who spends literally all of their time in the woods, you don't ever want to let yourself get scared of being alone, or out in the middle of nowhere. That's why when you have experiences like this, you tend to just forget about them and move on. This is, to date, the only thing that's ever made me really seriously consider if this job is the right one for me. I don't really like talking about it much, but I'll do the best I can to remember it all. As I recall, this took place right at the end of spring. It was a typical lost-child call: a four-year-old girl had wandered away from her family's campsite, and had been missing for about two hours. Her parents were completely despondent, and told us what most parents do; my kid would never wander away, she's so good about staying close, she's never done anything like this before. We assure the parents that we'll do everything we can to find her, and we spread out in a standard search formation. I was partnered with one of my good buddies, and we were sort of casually holding conversation while we hiked. I know it sounds callous, but you do sort of become desensitized when you've done this long enough. It becomes the norm, and I think to a certain extent you have to learn to desensitize yourself in order to work this job. We search for a good two hours, going well beyond where we think she'd be, and we come out of a small valley when something makes us both stop in unison. We freeze and look at each other, and there's almost a sensation like a plane depressurizing. My ears pop, and I have this odd sensation of having dropped about ten feet. I start to ask my buddy if he felt that, but before I can, we hear the loudest sound I've ever heard in my life. It's almost like a freight train passing directly by us, but it's coming from every direction at once, including above and below us. He screams something to me, but I can't hear him over this deafening roar. Understandably freaked out, we look all around us, trying to find the source of the sound, but neither of us sees anything. Of course, my first thought is a landslide, but we're not near any cliffs, and even if we were, it would have hit us by now. The sound goes on and on, and we're trying to yell to each other, but even standing close together we can't hear anything but this sound. Then, as suddenly as it starts, it stops, like someone threw a switch and cut it off. We stand there for a second, perfectly still, and slowly the normal sounds of the woods come back. He asks me what the fuck just happened, but I just kind of shrug, and we stand there looking at each other for a minute. I get on the radio and ask if anyone else just heard the end of the fucking world, but no one else hears it, even though we're all within shouting distance of each other. My buddy and I just sort of shrug it off and keep going. About an hour later, we all check up on the radios, and no one's found the little girl. Most of the time, we won't search when it gets dark, but because we don't have any kind of lead on her, a few of us decide to keep going, including me and my buddy. We keep close together, and we're calling out for her every couple of minutes. At this point, I'm hoping beyond hope that we find her, because while I may not like kids, the idea of them being out all alone in the dark is awful. The woods can be intimidating to kids in the daylight; at night, well, it's a whole different beast. But we're not seeing any signs of her, or getting any responses, and around midnight, we decide to turn around and head back to the rendezvous point. We're about halfway back when my buddy stops and shines his light to the right of us, into a really thick deadfall, or group of dead trees. I ask him if he's heard a response, but he just tells me to be quiet a second and listen. I do, and in the distance, I can hear what sounds like a kid crying. We both call the girl's name and listen for any kind of response, but it's just this really faint crying. We head in the direction of this deadfall and go around it, calling her name over and over. As we get closer to the crying, I start getting this weird feeling in my gut, and I tell my buddy that something isn't right. He tells me he feels the same way, but we can't figure out what it is. We stop where we are, and call the girl's name again. And at the same time, we both figure it out. The crying is on a loop. It's the same little hitching sob, then wail, then quiet hiccup, repeated over and over. It's exactly the same every time, and without saying another word, we both take off running. It's the only time I've ever lost my composure like that, but something about it was so incredibly wrong, and neither of us wanted to stay out there anymore. When we got back to the rendezvous, we asked if anyone else had heard anything strange, but no one else knew what we were talking about. I know it sounds sort of anti-climactic, but that call fucked me up for a long time. As for the little girl, we never found a trace of her. We keep an eye out for her, and all the other people who we've never found, but frankly I doubt we'll ever find anything.

0 |

forum.hudsonbelfast.co...

0 |

Israel’s Army Goes to War With Its Politicians - In most countries politicians supervise the military and restrains its leaders from violating human rights or pursuing dangerous policies. In Israel, the exact opposite is happening.

www.nytimes.com/2016/0...

0 |

More reading in the links of the article, too...

Elon Musk believes we are probably characters in some advanced civilization's video game

www.vox.com/2016/6/2/1...

0 |

Think I've posted it before, but this is a great animation regarding the above

0 |

Alan Watts has similar ideas....without the need to see it as directed by technology

Also Nietschze also believed in the eternal return. That your life will repeat exactly as it is an infinite number of times and you need to apply the way you live and your mind/philosophy to that idea.

" What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine."

0 |

www.cnbc.com/2016/06/1...
Good piece on how much of a cunt of a businessman Donald Trump is.

0 |

Bit of lunchtime reading...

A couple of new posts by the person who did the US Forest Service Search and Rescue Officer stories...

Update 1 - www.reddit.com/r/nosle...

Update 2 - www.reddit.com/r/nosle...

1 |

what are these Xfile scripts?

0 |

Just folks that enjoy writing put them up on reddit. That particular person has posted loads under the guise of a Search & Rescue Officer for the US Forest Service. Decent wee reads when you've got a few minutes to kill.

0 |

ffs i thought it was legit stories until it got all... yeah right mate

0 |

Some of the early ones are pretty believable. I wasn't sure for quite a while when I first found them.

0 |