Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

It'll be interesting to see more about this arrangement. Seems like what they're saying is that NI and RoI will be able to keep going and trading as normal, but that also NI and rest of UK won't have a 'sea border', so to speak. Surely that means NI will be like a bridge between the two regions and could be tempting for businesses wanting to be able to shake hands on deals within EU and the UK?

0 |

Don't think that's the right interpretation of it takki. Here's what Politico said:

Essentially, the text sets out three scenarios for avoiding a hard border.

One, the U.K and the EU agree a comprehensive trade and customs deal that does away with the need for such a border.

Two, if that fails, the U.K. will put forward “specific solutions to address the unique circumstances of the island of Ireland.” The U.K. official said these proposals would be similar to those set out in the U.K.’s August position paper, which pledged no physical infrastructure on the border, but rather a set of piecemeal measures including an enhanced trusted trader status for those working across the border.

Finally, and most controversially for Conservative Brexiteers, the agreement says that if London can’t get agreement for its “specific solutions,” then the U.K. as a whole will remain in regulatory alignment with the EU on issues that are referred to in the Good Friday Agreement and have a bearing on “north-south cooperation” on the island of Ireland.

0 |

Ah, cheers Matthew. I guess the best hope is that whatever setup is agreed, it might give us in NI some sort of advantage due to being between both markets, yet not disadvantaged from either. Who knows though.

Brexit really is a mega cluster fuck of the highest order. It still amazes me that the whole Brexit crew had literally no idea of how to deal with Brexit in the slightest. It's like they were just in it for the craic and really never thought they'd have to think about it in real terms. That clown Farage and the rest of them should be getting trailed for negligence considering how they lied so much during the campaign, had zero planning done for the possibility of winning and how a good few of them just fucked off out of public/political mainstream, just as the shit hit the fan.

0 |

Farage is such a clown. Quick to comment theses days from the fringes about brexit and slate government handling off it but when they won the leave vote he disappeared of the map because he didn't want to be associated with what was the come. Chancer lol

1 |

He's also on a pension from the EU...you couldn't make it up

0 |

Whole thing is a disaster. Let's just hope we get the best deal possible.

Really sick of our horrible political parties. They treat their constituents like shit. Welfare system is botched too. Bet that billion quid won't be helping anyone who is in need.

0 |

"The NI budget has been cut consistently by the tories" ridiculous statement we get way more than we actually deserve how do you think Scotland and Wales feel" - Do we fuck. The English made their bed, they can lay in it.

"I work in the public sector and see the wastage and we have become to much reliant on the public sector the cuts within it were justified and thankfully we have seen growth in the private sector." - Race to the bottom load of shite.
The public sector from my experience here has been quite efficient, where I find waste is when work, FM/ IT etc is contracted out to the private sector. We win contracts in NI for areas of work because we are the highest performing in the UK.

"I would need guaranteed no change to the public sector and benefits on a personal front to make me think more about it."

I'm confused, the first quote would indicate that we don't deserve jobs, the 2nd quote you'd seem happy to lose your job or get a pay cut, the last quote, you wan't to keep your public sector job.

0 |

He's full of keek.

He's even pretending he doesn't vote DUP lol

0 |

That public sector quote had me confused earlier too.

Think dufunk was selling property at the time of Brexit and was complaining about losing some cost, but was justifying Brexit, something like that. ha.

Don't know what Foster is at living a few miles from the border as she does, 90% of people around her had a different idea. They just don't want to know.

Saying that was going with a bird from down that way who voted Leave. she didn't watch news or anything, just wanted out of the EU tho no explanations. she was great though. God i miss her.

i don't see how this can turn out well in the long run for DUP.

0 |

If you had to put your faith in anyone right now to sort out the mess who would it be though? Everyone is losing their minds and scrambling for scraps of respectability. Foster? O Neill? They haven't a clue and have argued themselves into a position of zero influence. DUP were almost thrown under the bus they are so irrelevant to what is being put together by the Brexiteers. Our alternative parties in NI are lost. Anytime any of them release a statement now it hardly registers beyond their own Twitter followers.

Then you have Gove, Johnson and Reece-Moog after Mays seat. So a change in the top position won't help.

Then you have JC.

Jeremy Corbyn not Jesus. The wildcard we might end up playing on the eve of Brexit. Who knows.

Not many sensible heads it seems

1 |

Excellent FT article outlining the tough decisions to come in the next year on negotiations for Irish border.

0 |

Tiocfaidh EU la

0 |

Never thought i would say about a Tory but Dominic Grieve was magnificent in the Commons today re. clause 9 and his amendment.

www.parliamentlive.tv/... - Ken Clarke at 13:35 and Dominic Grieve from 14:24

0 |

Boom! *U.K. GOVT LOSES VOTE, GIVING LAWMAKERS FINAL SAY ON BREXIT DEAL

0 |

British politics is Lit. Brussels must be watching this all with a secret hard-on for our Parliament.
There is something about us British that separates us from the other 27 nations.

How about, we rejoin the EU, but we move the capital to London.

0 |

Is that a good deal? I'd say that's a good deal.

0 |

"Something's up - hearing it'll be worth watching the Commons in a few minutes time..." - Laura Kuenssberg

0 |

Arsenal out?

0 |

Nah, complete damp squib. Davis cleared of contempt

0 |

'Us British'

Lol

1 |