Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

3 |

0 |

how many prods will be voting Leave compared to south belfast and redneck 'catholics'?

90/10?

0 |

I'd hate to be from South Belfast, me

0 |

takki. I also want to see what happens when trump gets in. I will literally pee my pants the day after election, and then rub my hands with glee, thinking of the endless moments of hilarity for the next 4 years.

0 |

Climate change drops off the agenda

The supreme court gets loaded with anotjer conservative or two... Endlessly hilarioid

0 |

To be serious the world could be a much more scary place by next year if trump gets in and the UK leaves Europe.

0 |

And he's not a fan of net neutrality either so undoing the progress there will provide more that a few moments of fun

0 |

He won't get a thing done. He'll fuck off the republicans and the democrats. He'll constantly be looking at polls, on what to do next, pissing people off on the way. He may surround himself with sicophants, but the civil servants, generals, etc will be fighting with him every day, and he'll lose the plot.

0 |

Best case scenarios, democrats and republicans will do whatever they can to push things through congress, without the option for him to veto shit. They'll also push through campaign reform laws making sure, idiots like him can't get in again. Worst case scenario, he's push some nuclear buttons.

0 |

Republicans are generally agreed on the wrongness of climate change science, the affordable care act and net neutrality....

The only reason he fucks off the republicans is because he says aloud what they try to dog whistle... turning off moderate voters.

It'll be as much of a chuckle as when Bush was in power... all his crazy bushisms (although less so if you happen to be a muslim)

0 |

Bush had Cheney, Rumsfeld and Karl Rove. 3 of the biggest cunts in american history. No one has an idea who Trump have as vice president, or his top advisors. I doubt they'll be that conniving.

0 |

The real reason, I want him to win, is, the americans deserve to be led by a twat. They have it coming to them.

0 |

The Lizard People have had her murdered to tarnish the leave camp, right?

0 |

m.facebook.com/photo.p...

0 |

Those sorts of things that go around social media really need to have sources/evidence. By the looks of that, it does all seem legit, but if it had names/sources for people to fact check themselves it'd be a much better.

0 |

It has the DUP leader in the remain side is that not incorrect?

0 |

lol I didnt even notice that. The one that I actually was surprised and checked was the farmers one. I thought the aul farmers hated the EU.

0 |

That's the fishermen.

The farmers have been subsidised by the EU

0 |

That list is a joke really. ISIS for Brexit are they? Jesus wept.

0 |

m.facebook.com/story.p...

0 |

news.liverpool.ac.uk/2...

0 |

www.prospectmagazine.c...

1 |

Was shown this on Facebook there. Decent read with sources for its info:

1 |

Anyone who begins making a point with "As a busy mum of two" or "as a working mom" who "hasn't much time for politics" then proceeds to lecture on the subject should be shot out a fucking cannon.

Fuck the EU.

5 |

She did follow up immediately with "So I admit it has taken some effort to get my head round both sides of the most topical argument of our time"

0 |

Its probably a fake account set up by the remain campaign to deliver propaganda anyway

1 |

I've been following politics since I was 13, it doesn't make me Karl Marx. Still, I'm glad she took the time out of her busy schedule to inform all the other "busy mums out there".

Something similarly reprehensible was widely derided in the Scottish referendum campaign, I remember.

The Brits are voting out anyway. Irregardless of Lisa Maxwell's suspiciously photogenic open FB profile.

0 |

how big do you think the leave vote will be dvmc?

0 |

This busy mum of two sets her arguments out very professionally. You would almost think it was her day job.

0 |

nicely laid out all the pro remain facts with helpful links an all... busy mum my fucking arse

0 |

I see the same Polls as everyone but I'm not convinced, possible skullduggery aside - that it will even be close. John Harris did a video piece for the Guardian recently from Stoke. They went door knocking with a Labour MP who couldn't find one person voting remain. Remain will win London handily I'd imagine, but the rest of England? I can just imagine the impression the rambling Eddie Izzard made on undecideds a few weeks back. Then Geldof turned up.

There's always been an anti establishment element to the Brits, especially when it concerns their democracy.

0 |

Its only working class england that want out. Unfortunately they outnumber the rest of us.

0 |

Most of the Press I'm reading here is of the attitude, fuck Britain for even considering it. How dare this band of johnny come latelys even think of having something so important even be up for referendum. The UK, from here, are seen as wreckers anyway who haven't been welcome and will be even less so for Europe having to put with the bother of recognising a democratic decision. Leavers are lumped in with Le Pen, Trump and Viktor Orban with no attention paid to any debates about Sovereignty, Democracy usw.

The very idea of considering it is what they seem to find so objectionable. Bizarre mentality.

0 |

lol @ dvmc slagging off that post, then doing a load of random ranting himself. Maybe she isn't a mum, maybe she is, but at least she has something interesting/benefitial to say and tries to back it up with sources.

Weird how people can get themselves so fired up about something, yet not actually say anything worth saying.

Ha anyone seen anything like that Facebook post regarding the leave side? Wouldn't mind a read at it if they have.

0 |

there is no post like that regarding the leave side because nobody has any idea what happens when we leave.

trade with europe has to be renegotiated... will they give us a better deal than the one we have now, after making them go through all this shit when the eurozone has just stopped exploding (for now) after the greek crisis?

probably not.

trade with the rest of the world covered by the EU trade deals will also have to be renegotiated ... will they give a market of 60 mill a good a deal as the deal they gave to a market of 600 mill ?

again probably not

Will it stop immigration?

probably not (if we want access to EU markets)

Will the money spent on europe be redirected to services in the UK?

reduced tax lifts from the economic uncertainty in the short term with a tory government ideologically obsessed with austerity and tax cuts means probably not

1 |

That's what I said over on Facebook, pretty much all I've seen for the leave side is based on potentials/possibilities and a dose of the aul fear mongering.

One of the things that I've been trying to work out is why the conservatives have high profile party members on both sides. I thought normally with matters like this, political parties, especially in government, will try and toe the line and their whips will be out in force pushing the views. Can't help but think the conservatives must be up to something with this. There has to be a game plan in behind the scenes.

0 |

I don't think I was ranting. I doubt anyone's mind be made up by messageboard comments anyway.

Referendums aren't whipped as there is no parliamentary vote, takki. This has been coming for the Tories for 20+ years and they are free to campaign as they wish.

Pav - your points are valid and could be countered by the usual contra arguments. Personally I believe the EU is doomed and will burn up anyway. Poland and Hungary have gone far right, Italy and France are tending that way. The populist right even in Germany are winning elections, unfathomable a few years ago. UK leaving will influence it's inevitable break up, but it probably won't be the last straw.

0 |

Boris has been flip-flopping on Brexit for years now. For him, this is purely a power play. He knows if they vote leave, he's first in line for the PM role

0 |

Exactly, it's all a play for his own gain by Boris lol at working class Brits thinking he gives about them or the nhs

0 |

Gives a fuck about them

0 |

Anyone who votes Leave is a fucking idiot or a racist.

0 |

You voting leave then?

1 |

Or just disagrees with you.

0 |

Lol.

0 |

The majority of leave voters are doing so because of the immigration issue. I just dont understand what they think will happen if we do vote to leave. There will still be immigration. From both inside and outside the EU. There will have to be if we want to get any sort of decent trading deals with other countries. What about the immigrants that are here now. Its like they imagine we are going to pack them all on a big boat and fuck them out. A large number of EU migrants like the poles have been here so long they have set up roots, businesses, families, etc. They arent just going to piss of back to Poland. There has been very little info on what the leave side plans to do either. Its infuriating reading the nonsense posted about immigration and jobs etc by idiots on facebook. We might do really good trade deal with China and floods of Chinese will come over. Thatll entertain them.

0 |

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that once we leave we'll be packing up the trains and herding everyone who can't sing god saves the queen back to Europe ffs we need healthy immigration levels in this country for our economy, I'm voting purely on a sovereignty basis and don't wish to be lead by Brussels or for us to hand any more power to unelected officials plus it'll be something a bit different for an aul change

0 |

what's more sovereign than holding a national referendum?

0 |

good scenes in the commons today both parties joining for a remembrance of Jo Cox.

if youmvote Leave you're complicit in her murder. that's the point I'll be getting across these next few days.

0 |

if you vote Leave you're a fascist murderer and a racist and have zero British values really.

0 |