Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

Those bid red herbal speed tabs. no sleep for 3 days

0 |

Remember that Brown paste speed that was around for a while. Wiped all manner of folk out.

0 |

Sssh Question Time is on now, an hour later than it was in the UK. So make sure you take part on the votes online, or by text.

0 |

Smelled like licking someone's armpit too. Rotten drug.

0 |

lol

0 |

only way I know Ritalin is speed is we used to steal my mate's autistic little brother's stash and eat them hahaha.

0 |

pavlovs dog • 12 hours, 33 minutes ago
Of course there could be greater accountability in europe but no one is claiming it is perfect. Most og the high profile figure pushing the anti EU agenda are doing so because it stops then from abusing their positions in society more so than they already do.

• Surely that’s the problem though, there never will be greater accountability because those at the top are not elected by us nor can they be removed by us, it’s like the ultimate boy’s club once you’re in, you’re in for life whereas with our system of government we can every 4 years boot the whole fucking lot out hopefully forcing the other side to get their shit together

Norway managed it oil reserves well and has a population of 9 million people. The UK squandered its oil money on tax cuts for the rich. The swiss have a population of 8 million and make a living off the back of secretive banking practices and stolen nazi gold.

• Can’t argue with that, but even with its vast sovereign wealth being outside the EU has had no negative effect on the country

The EU fisheries quota system is saving UK fishing stock...which were in decline before the quotas were introduced. UK boats get to fish in other nations waters and the fishing rights system is historically a complex thing (obviously to complex for the leave campaign to explain in the video... but there is plenty of stuff online if you really interested in it... though it make a fairly dry read). I watched the video as far as this.

• Must have a wee look into that, but surely you can see something wrong with the fact that whilst many of our local fisheries consisted mainly of smaller type boats going to other coastal areas to fish is out of the question yet other nations who have considerably larger vessels are somehow able to take quotas from our waters even those countries that don’t have any coastal waters!?.

The UK has trade deals with many parts of the world as part of the EU. Negotiating new deals as a market of 60 million is unlikely to the same leverage as when part of a market of nearly 750 million. Particularly when the current government has shown such a disregard for the needs of everyday people compared to big business. The leaders of other EU countries negotiated protections for strategic industries under the TTIP agreements. The UK government didn't see the need

• Still an 80mil market full of consuming celeb watching idiots is one not a lot of countries are going to want to ignore. How do you know what protections other countries have negotiated with TTIP? The whole thing has been shrouded in secrecy, I know there was a leak recently has someone distilled into bullet points online?

You won't get to control immigration if you want access to the EU markets. Also immigration is good for the country... the motivated people from other nation come here.

• Immigration is great for this country and I’m all for it but we should be encouraging and making it easy for “skilled” professionals from all countries to come here instead of opening to door to a couple of million turks whose only skill is waiting tables (no offense to Turkish professionals). We don’t need more non skilled workers entering freely we need more doctors & engineers.

The failure of successive governments to facilitate the integration of new arrivals should be addressed. The growing population requires that public services such as schools and hospitals be increased rather than cut.

• Maybe the failure stems from the sheer numbers arriving as part of the free labour movement, how can you possibly cope with the bureaucracy of around 800,000 new people arriving each year

Austerity is a political choice to take the resources invested in by successive generations away from your children and given to obscenely rich people. That is the fault of the government not immigrants.

• I don’t think anyone is blaming our current woes on immigrants, well maybe those balloons over at Britain First

0 |

You have a lot more faith in our current government and the voting public than I do. Making Britain more British, proud and independent doesn't fill me with hope

0 |

People seem to really dislike the idea of a european "super state" or equality among european states. Surely it would end up something like the US federal government system if it runs its course. The difference is there isnt 50 "white people"states there are different races in europe and people hate to see those tanned cunts getting more than they do.

0 |

I've as much faith in our government as the next guy Muzka but i have even less faith in the bureaucratic nonsense that is Brussels, i'm not about making us more British i'm more about us controlling our own affairs not a bunch of cunts sitting over in Europe

0 |

"Maybe the failure stems from the sheer numbers arriving as part of the free labour movement, how can you possibly cope with the bureaucracy of around 800,000 new people arriving each year"

net migration is at around 300,000 - this government aims to get it to 150,000 but are struggling to do that.

if we didn't have migration to the extent we did, many jobs would not get filled, our economy would suffer and so on. the government has a huge burden with regards to paying for the future of the NHS and, more than anything, pensions due to the baby boomers retiring. I am not saying these are not affordable (we could reduce spending on defence, or end tax havens etc) but without diverting spending from other areas the government will see population growth as an easy out.

the quickest way to population growth is immigration and an economy build in such a way that it requires positive levels of annual growth to avoid self imploding sees immigration as absolutely fundamental.

0 |

It appears as though it's going to be an easy enough win for the remain camp. It would be pure torture setting up new trading agreements with other countries. And as Obama said, UK would be back of the queue for the USA. It took 5 years for the EU to set them up with Canada. By default you'd have to revert to the WTO rules otherwise and that's a shambles.

0 |

Vote Leave Political Broadcast, I think

0 |

Nothing says leave europe like a popular international sporting event that everyone loves.

0 |

0 |

next.ft.com/content/32...

0 |

Only the poor english areas want to leave the eu. The celtic nations should kick the english out of the uk if they vote to leave and start our own union, with blackjack and hookers.

0 |

afreshviewonbrexit.wor...

0 |

0 |

www.davidmcwilliams.ie...

1 |

Great article on Brexit and possible implications for island

0 |

I studied the EU for years at Uni. The EU also gave me a free grant of about £10g to study in for a year where when I finished class I went out sailing and swimming all day. Because of it I live in Europe and speak another language. I should love it. I love Europe - but the EU, under any sort of serious scrutiny is a horrendous institution that should be immediately scrapped.

0 |

Why's that?

0 |

I've an Irish passport & my eu health insurance card is good until 2020 so i'm voting out for pure badness

1 |

We all bow down to ye, King Of The Rebels!

0 |

I not sure the unionist of the north will be rushing to embrace the cultural snidery that awaits them in a united ireland, jumbo...

"My children were born in the Ulster Hospital (where the missus and me were the only couple at the pre-natal classes not in his-and-hers matching Rangers tracksuits)."

0 |

Haha ! Of all the factual figures in the article you point out that off hand statement re. Rangers tracksuits ?

0 |

He could easily have said RVH and Celtic tracksuits, neither = kulture

0 |

well i was skipping over the fact that he has attributed the the economic stagnation of NI to being part of the UK rather than a long-running conflict.

The point he was trying to make is that the unionists of the north may be better off economically as part of the Ireland than the UK but I can imagine many unionist reading it would be swayed by his argument give the snidery I mentioned

0 |

pavlovs dog • 0 minutes ago
well i was skipping over the fact that he has attributed the the economic stagnation of NI to being part of the UK rather than a long-running conflict.

But the conflict has ended 20 years ago and the economy still stagnant ?

0 |

As is every region with exception of SE England I think.

0 |

so in other words they have a higher disposable income in the slums of London compared to the leafy suburbs of the Malone Rd for this -

bs.twimg.com/media/Cj2...

0 |

the post ceasefire years doesn't undo the effects of the 30 year conflict and its impacts.

0 |

it's impacts, wawawa. victims, wawawawa. not all catholics in the north are supporting our wee country in france, wawawa.
Soyuz done a bet for us not to score one goal and to finish pointless, wawafuckingwa.
get over it.

0 |

Reckon you grasping Pav, industry is dying here and nought nought is replacing it, yet South economy growing exponentially. How many years we have to wait post conflict for this miraculous recovery that the North/SW of England and Wales have not seen ?

0 |

0 |

The southern economy is growing exponentially because it started from such a low point in the afterrmath of their recession

Tourism and film industries are growing here... A lot of bio tech firms are investing here too.

But you cannot seriously compare the Irish and Northern Irish economies without even considering the effects of the 'trouble'.

0 |

profilephotos/sunspots.jpg.80x80_q85_autocrop_crop-smart.jpg
pavlovs dog • 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
The southern economy is growing exponentially because it started from such a low point in the afterrmath of their recession

It was a global recession and UK on whole still recessing, yet even though South had one of greatest financial meltdowns in western world it still had better GDP than most all regions of UK except SE England.

0 |

But you cannot seriously compare the Irish and Northern Irish economies without even considering the effects of the 'trouble'.

As for comparing North and South without 'trouble' I'm comparing South and Every Region in the UK, which it beats hands down.

0 |

You haven't compared anything. Unless that was you own blog you were promoting?

0 |

The blog never mentioned GDP of UK regions did it ?

0 |

You haven't compared anything... just made a few broad assertions.
The blog makes similar assertions. I'm sorry for not remembering the blogger didn't mention GDP also

How would you assertions stand up if you started comping the Irish border regions to the Northern Irish economy
Or started looking at at the median wages rather than the average?
Is Dublin sucking up the wealth of ireland?

Actually comparing the economies in a meaningful way is a bit more complicated that finding a statistic you like and talking about it without even bothering to mention the figure.

0 |

How that wins obe the heart and minds of DUP voters and the prods in the rangers tracksuits into going for an all ireland I still don't know

Given that a significant proportion of the PUL community feel their culture and way of life is under threat by the removal of a fleg.. being sneered at for their choice of clothing isn't going to make great inroads into swaying their minds.

0 |

And when he says

"Up to now, there has been a significant number of Northern Irish Catholics who might have felt that staying with the UK was the right thing to do for their back pockets. But when you look at the numbers you can see clearly that this is a bizarre choice"

maybe it is about more than the cash in their back pockets. maybe being from a catholic background doesn't automatically make you want to live in the corporate whore of europe.

0 |

I made no more assertions than yourself, the blogger is a respected economist whom has given figures as factual evidence, we can only really compare like for like, don't have figures for Southern border economy v Northern border economy nor median v average wage of figures and if they show different id be interested to see them.

Dublin may well produce high percentage of Irish GDP but it's a major city with great Multinationals providing quality jobs, Cork also doing very well with big Tech company's.

Better that than an economy propped up by city of London IMO.

0 |

so it would be okay to live in tyrone and be propped up by cork and dublin... but not to live tyrone and be propped up by london?

0 |

No it wouldn't ?

0 |

Is Galway propped up by Dublin ?

0 |

It's like saying Tyrone propped up by Belfast and Londonderry which is absurd

0 |

If the northern irish economy is propped up by london... then if follow that the tyrone economy is also propped up by london.

I'm not sure about galway.. but I'd imagine the economies of rural ireland are propped up dublin...

in a united ireland how would that change

0 |