Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

I'm not sure ryanair's business model is based on brexit bitterness

1 |

I did say hint where is the business sense in cutting back there operations in the uk when they don't even no what the brexit will entail yet.

0 |

Rather than trying to decipher what you have just typed I googled the story instead... Turns out they want to focus more on flights to europe instead. Why do you insist on assuming it has something to do with the brexit vote?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

There earlier stories regarding this before the derry announcement have clearly mentioned it is to do with brexit esp regarding putting extra routes in Belfast, they put on Berlin, Milan and Gatwick but that will be that no further ones, this came about after the vote. Easyjet will likely eat up the Derry-Stansted route.

0 |

If you say so. I'm sure their business plan is still based on earning more rather than bitterness over the brexit vote.

0 |

15.postimg.io/whut9hhs...

0 |

Fianna Fail think they can get a nationalist majority here in one election period? Delusional.

0 |

I heard recently they have been making good in roads in getting students to become members. Beating SF at Queens for example

0 |

I'd rather vote for them than SF eventually.

0 |

SF is just a means to an end in the North.

26+6=1

0 |

They could feasibly eat up the SDLP vote in Nationalist areas. Can't see the Sinn fein core vote taking a hit.

0 |

Loads of disaffected Sinn Fein voters out there. And people who hold their nose when voting sf.

0 |

For sure but they seem to be lean to left thinking parties like pbp. Would hardly call FF left leaning.

0 |

turns out the reduction of ryanair flights from derry airport is to do with airport passenger duty rather than brexit bitterness

www.irishtimes.com/bus...

1 |

The flights are moving to Belfast so the same tax applies there. Not really an excuse. The flights that are moving are profitable and well filled too. Not sure what going on there tbh. Losing Ryan air and getting in new carriers will be a good thing if the airport survives the this. The UK government has offered to fund the London flight which is great.

0 |

It's O'leary trying to bully them into dropping the prices the same way they withdrew from the city airport to get the runway extended

0 |

Any links to UK gov funding London flight Andy ?

0 |

On the BBC local news tonight also

0 |

why bother with links... it might make this place less of a drag. lol.

www.belfasttelegraph.c...

0 |

"[Teresa May] is not making this kiss-the-ring trip to New York to “reassure” the financial behemoths. That would mean the UK has a plan and is making the rounds to sell it and perhaps make cosmetic changes around the margins to make them feel important. Nor is it “consult,” which is diplo-speak for, “We’ll listen to your concerns but are making no commitment as to how much if any well take under advisement.” No, “canvass” means they are a valued constituency she intends to win over and is seeking their input for real."

www.nakedcapitalism.co...

0 |

I am absolutely certain the hedge funds in Wall Street will have the job concerns of the people of Sunderland right at the top of their list.

1 |

People mainly go to Dublin due to the extra routes nothing to do with it being cheaper, most will pay that we bit more for convenience and I really doubt the passenger tax makes a big difference as I've priced the same routes out of Dublin and they haven't been any cheaper than Belfast more expensive actually a lot of the time. Ibiza route was always really competitive and you had ones come up from the south to use it.

0 |

Well like I said a few posts back... it's a case of O'leary trying to leverage a better deal for ryanair.... not acting out of spite for the brexit vote

0 |

Brexit challenge given go-ahead by Belfast court - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

This man has raised over £145,000 and hired a team of lawyers to prosecute politicians who lied about Brexit

uk.businessinsider.com...

0 |

Sounds fairly pointless, apart from making money for him and his lawyer mates.

0 |

Pound on 31 year low against the dolla

0 |

Would have been a great trade for LTCM :-(

0 |

*FLCM

0 |

More inward investment from the states seeing we are now so cheap.

0 |

What in?

0 |

Open top bus tours

1 |

dufunk • 18 minutes ago
More inward investment from the states seeing we are now so cheap.

LOL.

More than seven out of ten US businesses in Britain that responded to a ­survey have said a British exit from the EU would have a “negative or a strongly negative impact” on future investments. The 127 companies that responded to the survey, published this week by British American Business, employ 327,000 people in Britain.

US companies have $558bn invested in Britain, making them the biggest inward investors. In total, more than 7,500 companies employ 1.2m people, making the US also one of Britain’s biggest employers. “We are aware of a steady stream of cases where opportunities are in danger of being lost to create new jobs,” said Jeffries Briginshaw, chief executive of British American Business. “As we move forward into potentially more risky and uncharted territory this is likely to become even more prevalent,” he added.

An overwhelming majority of companies — 88 per cent — said access to the EU’s single market makes Britain more attractive. Mark Dorsett, director of Caterpillar in the UK, said British membership of the EU “is fundamental to our business interests” because the vast majority of products manufactured in Britain are exported to the single market and third countries.

0 |

Surveys mean nothing at the moment they are working on the uncertainty wait til we know they outcome and then that maybe relevant. I know one thing being on the border and recent fall in pound has helped our family business big time with cross border trade, investors and consumers look for there money to go further and NI being cheaper labour than rest of uk will only entice investors and we will be able to export competitively brexit or no brexit. Your as bad as Marty change the record.

0 |

Looking likely that it'll be a hard brexit as the right-wing tail wags the Tory party dog. If it is a hard brexit and access to the single market goes then the UK is in for some tough times. NI will get doubly rodgered having the border on top.

0 |

dufunk • 32 minutes ago
Surveys mean nothing at the moment they are working on the uncertainty wait til we know they outcome and then that maybe relevant. I know one thing being on the border and recent fall in pound has helped our family business big time with cross border trade, investors and consumers look for there money to go further and NI being cheaper labour than rest of uk will only entice investors and we will be able to export competitively brexit or no brexit. Your as bad as Marty change the record.

How does any of that back your claim that there will be "More inward investment from the states seeing we are now so cheap."?

0 |

he means from the free state into his family shop... you got to keep you eye on the smaller picture, dairebhoy

0 |

Main Street not Wall Street ffs

0 |

lol from google news front page just this minute.. imgur.com/a/CBRVg can somebody tell me do i need to start stockpiling fucking beans

0 |

That tells you the UK has the best growth of any developed economy. But that growth is not great and the wider developed economies are all pretty static. Then you have the developing economies blowing up from debt levels such as in S.America. China's debt bubble is also a big worry.

Deutsche Bank will need a bailout from the German government is probably the biggest worry right now. They'll have to bail it out no question but it's politically speaking almost impossible. Slim chance they'll allow it to go bust then it's Lehman Mk2

0 |

Technically it will be a bail in this time...

0 |

So it is. That means it'll be depositors first to provide the bail money as far as I know in return for a bond/share. I could be wronh

0 |

well... depositors with over 100K euro

0 |

0 |

imagine voting for that. Can't wait til it's open season on Brexit voters.

0 |

Don't they have to do this anyway? That is let the tax man know they employ people

0 |

i cant see anything wrong with this, sure we have to list our fucking religion over here and why shouldn't the government and local councils have access to accurate employment data

0 |

You don't have to list your religion ya eejit.

0 |

Exactly. It's a bit rich shouting xenophobia when it's a question of who our employers hire. I think in Limerick they are thinking about a 10% rule for companies to hire local people. It does get a bit uneasy for me when you go down that route.

We have a sense of entitlement here for jobs but why is that foreigner here workin? Surely they have moved to find work that any normal individual would do. We've been doing it here in Ireland for generations.

It's a difficult one for me. I think if you need to move for work then do it and stop blaming the government. Find opportunity and don't wait for it to be presented to you. On the other hand, you should be given every chance to get a job here as it's your home and that counts for a lot.

0 |

Polish are far better workers. Stronger. Stoic. Better gentics. Don't get sick as much. I'd rather work with Poles than people from NI. Poles should take precedence over people who call this "Home".

0 |