Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

lol you couldn't make this shit up

Cornwall to keep Brussels office after Brexit… despite voting to leave EU

Cornwall’s council has admitted it will keep its office in Brussels after the UK has severed ties with the EU, despite residents in the county voting overwhelming to leave the bloc.

Senior councillors fear the UK Government will not keep its promise to maintain up to £60m in annual EU funding and say the Brussels office will remain essential in its quest to bring in cash from other areas.

The county found itself the subject of a series of national headlines in the wake of the Brexit vote, when it insisted it wanted to keep the annual grant – regardless of Cornish antipathy towards the EU.

www.independent.co.uk/...

0 |

Joe public is devoid of any cognitive skill...in fact of any skill.....Joe public should be sterilised before it fucks up the gene pool any more!

0 |

Good on ye Ron, we welcome you!

0 |

Rates cut to 0.25% as expected, QE up 435bn including corporate bonds and open to future cuts

"If the incoming data prove broadly consistent with the August Inflation Report forecast, a majority of members expect to support a further cut in Bank Rate to its effective lower bound at one of the MPC’s forthcoming meetings during the course of the year. "

0 |

Interest rates were really low anyway this will make little difference to savers and mortgage payers the good thing is the bank of England don't forecast a recession. Pound going to drop another 1% but that is great for tourism esp here also If you are working in AUS or Canada like my mate is he is able to bring back 5% more than he could of before the referendum.

0 |

work colleague is off on a 3wk bike trip round the states to some massive biker festival and left it too late to buy Dollars etc and ended up paying an extra grand due to the fall in the pound/brexit.. needless to say he wasnt a happy bunny

0 |

Expensive handling over there now but I always found Canada quite cheap in terms of food and that even compared to here, dollar may of been 50p but even when it was up around 65p it wasn't to bad over there.

0 |

Did he vote out, RJ? lol

0 |

BoE don't forecast a recession but still feel the need to pump prime the economy. Sounds like a contradiction to me.

They are bound to talk things up as much of what their QE program is designed for is to maintain the inflated prices of the stock and property markets

0 |

0 |

www.communistpartyofir...

0 |

0 |

haha, m.independent.ie/busin...

Anyone who voted Brexit is a racist and thick.

1 |

DUP on Nolan there basically haven't a clue or any plan.

seems there tactic is to go to negotiations and hopefully stumble on some one else's idea. really I'd comical all this. no one has the slightest clue what they want or to go about getting it lol

3 |

Jean Claude Juncker drunk and slapping other EU leaders

3 |

(Bloomberg) --
Speculators are the most bearish on the pound since records began as they await data that will give the clearest picture yet of the effects of Britain’s decision to leave the European Union. Hedge funds and other large speculators boosted net bearish wagers on the pound versus the dollar to 90,082 contracts in the week to Aug. 9, the most in Commodity Futures Trading Commission figures dating from 1992. Investors were last positive on the U.K. currency in November.

0 |

What data are they talking about?

0 |

July inflation, retail sales and jobless claims

0 |

Any signs that public sector spending is slowing/holding back due to Brexit Daire?

0 |

In terms of the NICS the cuts etc came in well before brexit came into the picture so would be no change there. They will start to see the savings of the VES now but most departments are now understaffed and everything is a shambles but you also still have departments with surplus staff. I'm sure the contracts the NICS have had with private sectors companies have seen a big hit in last 2 years. This all had to happen for us to become less reliant on the public sector here so I wouldn't recommend a career in here to anyone basically they haven't recruited any youth in last 10 years anyway.

0 |

After the GFA there was a boom in private sector spending in NI as new departments got going and then brought in new systems and structures. Good times for contractors. Bad publicity and the crash put the brakes on that.

I was wondering if the Brexit uncertainty is making budget holders nervous on spending the public pounds. Will there be a budget challenge due to Brexit in councils for example?

0 |

Of course there will... the uncertainty that is going to affect the economy over the next couple of years will lead to fall in tax receipts... and this will produce further cuts to public services.

As the spending from NICS wages gets taken out of the local economy there will be less cash to be spent in the private sector in general, never mind those relying on public sector contracts... a double whammy of low economic growth and the economic stabilisers getting removed.

0 |

My questing is if it is happening right now?

So e.g. are tenders being held back due to the Leave vote which would have been issued if the outcome was Remain.

I see a few articles this week suggesting that Brexit won't actually happen now.

The economic masters will take too much of hit so the democratic referendum will have to be ignored. We 100% owned.

0 |

it's not happening. intelligent people won't allow it.

0 |

why should London be dictated to by inbreds & racists from Sunderland? it's just not happening and they should come out and say it and save a lot of time.

0 |

Researcher project that have a UK component are being sent to the bottom of the pile.... others are getting cancelled completely. Thats well paid research work that just won't happen. My gf's phase 2 project in research (A big data project in bio-med) won't be getting it phase 3 funding because of brexit.

with the lack of private sector companies to employ trained scientists... why would they hang around NI for the next few years waiting for some magical private sector renaissance to occur?

and with the lack of scientists to work for the (as they've left) why will big companies looking to employ scientist want to come here?

0 |

I just read that norway and switzerland both had to sign up for Schengen to access the single market. Since they were being touted as the model the UK should follow it would be pretty ironic if that was a condition of single market entry for brexit UK

0 |

Those who left on the VES in NICS were mostly of retirement age quite a few actually working past 60-65 I don't expect a massive increase on the dole queue we would of see that by now anyway as the last to leave were in may. These ones got 20/30k along with there lump sum so ones in 50's and 60's would of been far better of than if they retired normally so I doubt we will see a recession going on with these people. We will see millions back that we wont be putting into the EU so I don't see how this would make our public sector cut back maybe slightly until things a finalised and trust me things will become such a shambles in NICS that they will have to start recruiting again in a few years time.

1 |

I wasn't talking about a boost to the dole queues... I was talking about a drop in the number of people bringing home a regular wage... which they would spend on goods and services in the general economy.

The people buying lunch in town everyday at work. The people going for drinks after work... or popping out to the shops to buy something over lunch

0 |

Nigel Farage spotted at the German Embassy applying for a german passport. Haha just gets better.
www.buzzfeed.com/patri...

0 |

0 |

*UK SAID TO SEE BREXIT MOST LIKELY TRIGGERED BY APRIL 2017
*MAY SAID TO WANT TO TRIGGER ART. 50 BEFORE FRENCH, GERMAN VOTES

0 |

May can suck my balls.

0 |

Seems like everyone who voted leave lacked a bit of gumption, etc, etc...

0 |

www.thesun.co.uk/news/...

NI companies are prob behind the rest of the uk when it comes to exporting but its time to jump on the bandwagon and make the most of the weak pound. You definitely notice more southern reg's up here of late especially in holiday places can only be a good thing.

0 |

A fuckin sun newspaper link?!?!

0 |

What's wrong with that Andy?

0 |

15 billion black hole in Scotland proof that if they left the uk they would of been up shit creek.

0 |

If they'd left the UK who knows what magic & exciting things would have happened.

0 |

They could’ve made a mint selling ground up Nessie balls to the Chinese, help the wee fuckers get laid

0 |

Sure Salmon was just a scottish Farage. Full of shite.

0 |

GCSE pass results in England continue to fall where they voted Leave. But continue to rise in NoI where anyone who isn't a racist (a majority) voted to Remain.

0 |

Can we have our referendum now please?

0 |

0 |

In the EU, Forever

0 |

0 |

0 |

0 |

0 |

Ryanair looking to end there generally busy route from derry to Stansted. Hint of bitterness going on after the brexit it will be there loss in the long run if they keep doing this in the uk and at the same time Stormont is going to put 7m into it. Wasn't to long ago you had half a million annually though it so the potential is there.

0 |