Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

Look lads I don’t have all the answers.. heck I don’t have any answers but I feel your pain at backing the losing side and not being on the winning side, you’re just going to have to deal with it and embrace your new sovereignty

0 |

What sovereignty? Shirley the result of the referendum is moot anyway since we are governed by Europe and don't have the power to decide to leave Europe.

0 |

I don't really mind so much... I will probably just leave before the year is out...

By the time I move back it will be to an independent scotland or a united ireland

just enjoying a bit of internet 'debating'... takes away from the horror story that is the Labour Part at the minute

1 |

Everyone looking forward to a united Ireland?

0 |

has anyone asked Ireland if they want a united ireland?

0 |

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it... but once the NHS is privatised then the reasons to stay are diminished

My girlfriend is polish and the rise in reported xenophobic rhetoric and incidents over the last couple of months makes her uncomfortable in the UK.

0 |

Unfortunately for both england and ireland, the people of Northern Ireland have the right to decide where they want to live

0 |

not to worry Pav i'll make sure my lads give her special treatment when rounding up undesirables for deportation

0 |

Blatant "a woman lets me touch her" post there tbh.

0 |

I actually paid on-line for a euro-bride to help with get me into europe in the case of a brexit :/

money well spent it seems

0 |

RJ Macready • 4 minutes ago
has anyone asked Ireland if they want a united ireland?

Let's be honest RJ, you were down there last week, you were asking the question non-stop. what was the response?

0 |

Tbf I was out drinking with a load gheys who were down for pride, unfortunately I couldn’t convince the missus for a sixsome, never got around to asking them did they want us northerners and our flegs

0 |

it doesnt make any difference to me (if anything its been a positive personally as all my cash is in dollars, my bonus is dollars, my stock is in dollars and i can just move to the NY office) and politically its a positive to me if it leads to a scottish referendum and independence, some improved cross border unification in ireland and the collapse of the "united" kingdom. but i do worry for working/middle class families here and back in the north that have to deal with the fallout from this and the people who blindly followed gove/farage/boris into this mess and are quickly realising that they were lied to throughout and the leave campaign are clueless as to what to do next

1 |

blatant i love the dolla post

1 |

Anyone notice since the results the leave supporters new way of deflecting any questions or rational debate about the leave campaign/the future is now just to accuse remain supporters of being hard losers etc. If they're so sure of their views, why can't they just explain the benefits with facts and figures and show us where we're heading, based on the campaign and leaders?

0 |

why should we just cause your a sore loser

1 |

Boris was looking a little spunkier today anyway, they must have said to him to cheer the fuck up. Gove just always looks like he's just came out of the brothel where he was snorting toot off somebodies minge.

0 |

lol that's like something a school kid would say in reply..

"I'm not telling you, cuz you're a poo-poo head"

0 |

I think you've missed the point there takki

2 |

Still one of my fave all time comics. complete spit of Gove lol

i.guim.co.uk/img/stati...

0 |

unauthorised!

0 |

Most of the nation has missed the point, including the Leave leaders and government lol

0 |

indy100.independent.co...

Haha

0 |

Oh dear...

EU rejects informal Brexit talks with UK
Posted at 18:00 BREAKING
EU will not hold informal talks with UK until it triggers Article 50 to leave, Germany, France and Italy insist.

0 |

It's grand though, the leave campaign will know what to do lol

0 |

Brussels rejects Boris Johnson 'pipe dream' over single market access

"A second EU diplomat said: “There are no preferences, there are principles and the principle is ‘no pick and choose’.”

The diplomat stressed that participating in the single market meant accepting EU rules, including the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, monitoring by the European commission and accepting the primacy of EU law over national law – conditions that will be anathema to leave advocates who campaigned on the mantra “take back control"

www.theguardian.com/po...

0 |

they may have this 2nd referendum as no have seemed to have thought any of this out lol

0 |

"SHOULD I BUY MY HOLIDAY EUROS NAI? OR IS THE POUND GONNA COME BACK UP?"

- leave voters on facebook

0 |

0 |

S&P downgrade the UK

0 |

notice SF are now referring to it as "so called united kingdom"

0 |

How does the rest of the world do trade with the EU without having to let EU citizens roam freely across the planet? I mean I can buy new Zealand lamb without it costing extortionate prices so how could we not trade with the EU in a similar capacity?

0 |

1 |

mobile.twitter.com/reu...

0 |

lol, mad mad bastards.

0 |

I'd hate to be one of the really really rich must be hitting them hard

0 |

What's your take daire, you know about this sort of thing.

0 |

How does the rest of the world do trade with the EU without having to let EU citizens roam freely across the planet? I mean I can buy new Zealand lamb without it costing extortionate prices so how could we not trade with the EU in a similar capacity?

You tell us RJ, is it not the prerogative of a leave voter to know?

0 |

0 |

Its a rhetorical question choc old boy

0 |

0 |

It's a valid question though, which Leave campaigners and voters ought to know the answer to.

0 |

Fuck me all this really is a disaster. I'm going to pluck a figure out of my arse and say I reckon 75% of leave voters at least regret their choice

1 |

Easy. The only ones that definitley don't see UKIP's proper little racists.

0 |

are

0 |

0 |

Gerry a chara,
As you know, I wrote to you privately in April warning that it would be a bad political mistake for Sinn Fein to oppose “Brexit” in the upcoming UK referendum.

I said to you then that to do that would be to throw away an opportunity to establish links with many Northern Unionist voters in a democratic cause, with possible long-term progressive results. I said that supporting the “Remain” side would be to align Sinn Fein with the central policy drive of the British Government and with the Goldman Sachses, David Camerons, Peter Sutherlands, Enda Kennys and other anti-national reactionaries across the EU as they attempted to bludgeon the citizens of the UK into submission to indefinite anti-democratic Brussels rule.

If you had taken that advice you and Sinn Fein would now be able to say that you had been vindicated by standing with the majority of people in the UK as they voted on Thursday last to regain their democracy and independence from the reactionary European Union. Sinn Fein would simultaneously have gained the moral high ground vis-à-vis the Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Labour parties by upholding the classical democratic and Republican principles that led Sinn Fein to oppose EEC accession in the 1972 EEC referendum and to oppose all EC/EU treaties since - a truly honourable record of defending Irish democracy in face of the supranational centralisers in Brussels,Frankfurt and Berlin.

I was in Belfast handing out pro-Brexit leaflets in Clonard on the Saturday before the referendum and bumped into Jim Gibney. I was told by another Sinn Fein activist who spoke to me that you had been saying privately to Sinn Fein people that if the UK voted to leave the EU, you would advocate that the Irish State should do the same.

I have no idea whether this is true or not, but I am writing this “open letter” to you now to say that such a course is the only way in which you can save what is left of the Republican project, for which so many people made so many sacrifices over decades, and keep Sinn Fein relevant as a political alternative to the Dáil parties mentioned.

If you do decide to take this course you will need to point out that two-thirds of Irish trade is done outside the Eurozone - 63% of exports and 72% of imports in 2013; that the only legal way in which the Irish State can leave that disastrous construct is by leaving the EU itself; that it is economically essential that Ireland has a special trade deal with a UK State that is now leaving the EU; and that only an independent Irish Government can negotiate a trade deal that is in Ireland’s interests, for as long as it is a member of the EU Ireland’s interests must be subordinated to the collective interests of the EU as a whole, which are effectively decided by Germany and France and mediated through the Brussels Commission that has the exclusive right to negotiate EU trade treaties.

Above all it will be necessary to say that by the South remaining in the EU while the North leaves it along with the rest of the UK, the Southern Dáil parties that support continued EU membership will be adding major new dimensions to Partition, aggravating the continuing division of the country and conniving at the further hand-over of what is left of Irish national independence and democracy to Brussels.

By taking such a democratic and progressive stand in the new circumstances arising from the Brexit vote, Sinn Fein can still put these other Dail parties on the defensive, while gaining the support of the people on all sides who will soon start to realise that leaving the EU/Eurozone along with the UK is the best course for Ireland now – not least as the EU/Eurozone is now inevitably doomed and its break-up is only a matter of time as the popular revolt against Brussels supranational rule gathers strength across Europe.

If Sinn Fein does not do this, it is in any case likely to be only a matter of time before some of the other Dáil parties, or elements within them, come to advocate such a course.

As you know, I campaigned against all the EC/EU treaties since 1972 and have been proved totally right in the criticisms I made. I recall speaking against UK membership of the then EEC alongside the late Tony Benn and Peter Shore, British Labour Ministers, in the 1975 UK referendum on EEC membership, the first ever such referendum, which was held by the then Harold Wilson Government. Britain’s Labour Left was at that time against what became the EU, not yet having been taken over by the career Euro-federalists who flourished under Kinnock and Blair and whose counterparts in Ireland are currently in consternation at last Thursday’s vote for Brexit.

I have been chairman of the international TEAM network (The European Alliance of EU-critical Movements) to which several of the Leave-side organisations on Right and Left that campaigned for Brexit in Britain are affiliated. I was responsible together with the late Raymond Crotty for the 1987 Supreme Court Crotty constitutional challenge that led to successive referendums on EU Treaties in the Republic of Ireland. And I was also involved in the McKenna and Coughlan Supreme Court cases on fair referendum practices in the Republic. So I know well what the EU "project" entails.

I have sent you many letters ever since you first wrote to me from Long Kesh internment-camp away back in 1973 looking for information on what was then known as the “Common Market”. I am sending you this one in the hope of persuading you that this is the principled Republican and democratic course to take, and that Sinn Fein’s talk of a border poll, which has no hope of happening, and no hope of giving a desirable result even if it did happen, is but a distraction from the real issues now facing the country.

I am sending copies of this letter to your Sinn Fein Oireachtas and MLA colleagues, to Sinn Fein councillors North and South, and to various Republican activists whom I know.

If Sinn Fein decides to support continuing Brussels rule for the South while the North leaves the EU along with Britain, I have in mind to release it the general media for their information, and to have it stand, so to speak, for the historical record.

With good wishes,
Yours sincerely

Anthony Coughlan
Director
The National Platform EU Research and Information Centre
24 Crawford Avenue
Dublin 9

0 |

This is the mindset of the typical Leave voter.
www.express.co.uk/news...

0 |

The two main systems for measuring distances and weight are the Imperial System of Measurement, which is done in kilograms, and the Metric System of Measurement – which measures in pounds and ounce

According to the express

1 |

Important issues straight to the top of the table. Can i buy a pound of sausages? Its been about 30 years since we went metric and it still hurts their wee heads. These are the people we trusted with the amazingly complex decision of whether or not we should be in the EU.

1 |