Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

Making my morning lad tears tripping me lol

1 |

A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

0 |

You do know brexit hasn't happened yet lol

0 |

indy100.independent.co...

0 |

Ian Paisley jr recommends irish passports for all

0 |

www.theguardian.com/co...
Sinn Féin’s immediate call for a referendum on a united Ireland may be reckless and opportunistic, but no more so than the Democratic Unionist party’s failure to understand that Brexit is the best gift to Irish nationalists. It is the beginning of the breakup of the union and the rise of an independent England for which Northern Ireland will be no more than a distant nuisance.

0 |

Two gobshites once again at polar opposites, surprise surprise

0 |

Dunno if posted but u can sign the petition for another referendum here
etition.parliament.uk/...

0 |

But the country voted to leave... you want to have another vote because you don't like the result?

1 |

Ridiculous idea

1 |

No I'm just posting a link not making any claims of anything sir

0 |

the you was a general one to the people signing the petition... rather than you specifically

1 |

Sturgeon has suggested they are going to seek to retain their position for Scotland in the EU. I think that will have more traction that any border poll here where I think the link between remain voters and those interested in a united island is not very strong.

0 |

I'd say a brder poll gere would be pointless in the next couple of years.... but after the brexit negotiations it could have more traction... I suppose it depends on the reponse of companies to the vote...

0 |

RJ Macready • 2 hours, 38 minutes ago
A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months.

What are you on RJ? GBP had its lowest weekly close since 2009. And thats also one of two reasons the FTSE has stayed relatively strong in the short term. Also, the FTSE is not a representation of the UK economy, any company can list on most exchanges in the world. Its not just British companies. If you want to talk about the impact on the UK economy, then look at UK rates market, look at Moody's downgrades and look at the pound. I don't know what the fuck you are on, i'm almost convinced you're the greatest troll on here. That sounds like the kind of outright lies, bullshit, propaganda that the leave campaign continually spouted in the run up. You should be in fucking UKIP if you believe any of that

7 |

Well let facts get in the road of copying and pasting a Facebook post

1 |

I'm so mad right now!

0 |

arrrrrrr

0 |

heeeeee

0 |

0 |

Easy to mock but I genuinely feel bad for those who believe the tories have their best interest at heart and that by leaving austerity and inequality will be solved. All those lies about immigration and the nhs. Absolute cunts who thought they wouldn't win and now have the impossible task of fulfilling their claims. Cunts

0 |

Its the same small handful of words over and over again. NHS, sovreignty, immigration. Aul lads like the one in that video who say his life is worse off than when we joined the EU. Its like they have no idea what the EU has even done for them. They need to spend a week in some shithole country in africa or asia and see how it compares. About 3/4 of the worlds population are scratching their heads thinking why would you want to leave Europe, its great.

0 |

The English have placed a bomb under the Irish peace process
Fintan O'Toole

www.theguardian.com/co...

0 |

Daire lad it was copy pasted straight from some UKIPER's post on Facebook and achieved the result I was after :-)

1 |

Don't think that piece is intended to mock. I think it's just been made to show the sheer misinformation that a huge portion of leave voters have been lead to believe. It's actually pretty scary.

0 |

lol... RJ trolled daire as well as the leave campaign trolled him

1 |

Scotland and NI have a possible veto on brexit

0 |

www.antipope.org/charl...
Bit more explanation. Let's see Boris deal with this

0 |

Imagine the stink that would cause in England

0 |

Some guy on LBC radio said he bet £200k of his life savings on remain... even though he was voting leave.

0 |

0 |

3:
"The heavens have just opened down here whilst I was reading these, complete with thunder and lightning, t'm beginning to wonder about divine intervention, which is pretty weird since I'm an atheist"

state of that comment below that article.

why not just

3:
"The heavens have just opened down here whilst I was reading these, complete with thunder and lightning, t'm beginning to wonder about divine intervention"

0 |

"I just graduated uni in environmental management and was just informed by the leader of the graduate scheme I was going in to that it's been put on hold right now and they can't offer me work since all the UK's environmental protection laws are EU and the company is in limbo right now. I just lost a job before I even started my first day thanks to this decision. I have lost every scrap of respect for anyone that voted out, and could certainly never stay in a relationship with anyone that thought this was a good idea."

0 |

Ignore the last bit, it was taken from a reddit post about someone having issues with their partner who voted differently from them. A bit of drama, but it's a good example of how this is going to seriously fuck over a lot of uni students over the next couple of years.

0 |

Girl in my mas work was in tears yesterday saying her mortgage went from £1000 to £1600 overnight on Friday

0 |

0 |

they should just vote in the commons against the referendum. don't listen to 18 million shit-heads what are they going to do?

0 |

0 |

Bad timing if her mortgage renewal was due at that time. Another unforseen negative for a lot of people, probably.

0 |

With something of this importance, to the entire nation, there should be a clear margin to win, IMO. Certainly not a few percent. It should be a clear margin to protect the nation from people who have no clue what they're voting on/for.

0 |

0 |

Theres no point in trying to stop it now with all the petitions etc. The damage is done 18 million voted for it and would cause more of a divide if they dont get it. What the world wants to hear now is what the genius of Johnson Farage and Gove and chums are going to do about it. Whats going to happen with immigration? What are they replacing all those EU laws with? What about the will of the Scottish and NI citizens? How long before they break up the NHS into tiny little pieces and sell it off. Cunts.

Votail Sinn Fein.

0 |

0 |

I know these dicks in the leave camp or incompetent but surely they'd have some kind of timescale and strategy of what to do next. I expected detailed phases spanning over a number a years but I've heard nothing.

I honestly think nobody thought leave would win and now nobody has a clue what to do

0 |

0 |

0 |

Twitter is great isn't it.

0 |

0 |

From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

0 |

0 |