Choose a discussion

Brexit 2016

Official thread.

I will be voting to Leave Europe.

what about you?

0 |

just apply for one. takes 3 years though with an sdlp postcode.

0 |

Hope you're not stalking me sparcy as I am on the fourth floor right enough...

Just for Baz and you, lieber SS, mein Schatz...

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people. In every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and sovereignty; six times during the past three hundred years they have asserted it in arms. Standing on that fundamental right and again asserting it in arms in the face of the world, we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent State. And we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades-in-arms to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and of its exaltation among the nations.

From this attic, a vote to remain is a vote to for a country called Europe. A vote in is an affirmation that a system which trades the poor of some countries against the poor in others to fight for ever lower paying jobs. A vote in will ensure the EU system, which absolutely is in favour of the rich against the poor stays in place. A vote in entails the poor countries around the periphery, us included, will continue to be marginalised and our young dispossessed. A vote in will ensure always, that the best and brightest in the poorest areas in the EU leave their own nation instead of building it. I'd ask you, what has the EU done for the poor, apart from the allowance to leave their own countries to emigrate and live after disjointed, fragmented lives? Whose purpose does this serve?

I'd ask this. The people who wish to leave are not always ideal to NI mindsets. Farage is not a man who shares my politics. But how come every single creaking establishment scumbag has emerged, vampire like out of a coffin to warn, threaten or frighten? Every single Bank, conglomerate and vested interest. My God, shouldn't even the appearance of Cameron and Blair cause a minutes thought?

The establishment want business as usual. The EU hates democracy, when people in Europe vote against it they usually have another vote - In Holland and Ireland we weren't acquiescent. The ones on top dislike disorder from below as they cannot control it. I say fuck their order and fuck their control. Stand with the people in our fellow European countries this project has disenfranchised and made paupers. Don't allow a Europe that exists to destroy entire countries for the sake of their own image. Pav balks because I live here. When I lived in Dublin after the crisis there were no other options, the EU held Ireland's legs and shook every coin out of its pockets before it started "behaving" itself. Like the curs we are, of course we said yes. I was with my Greek friends last week who described the horror that is modern day Greece, after Germany ripped the guts out yet kept on asking for more and more - a slow motion execution of a generation - in the name of what I cannot even understand - but it certainly doesn't remind me of a Union.

Solidarity with Europe? Vote leave to give them the chance to do the same - we can build something better.

0 |

tldr. fuck em

1 |

tdqrtt,r

to drunk will read tomorrow though, respect

attic-boy :p

0 |

Swiss cunt

0 |

There are eaves around my windows, a beautiful family of what I believe are swallows are nesting right now. Constant back and forth with the food bringing and the waking me up at 6am. Had a few in the living room, they miss the nest sometimes.

My ceilings are entirely horizontal though. Night!

0 |

Breaking up the EU doesnt fix it nor does it improve the lot of the marginalised.

A retreat from the institutions that make up the europr doesnt let you build domething better... It just signals a retreat in selfish national interest.

Of course the establishment love business...but so do most people who want jobs... We cant all be teachers to the kids of the rich.

Better to work within europe for better EU governance

1 |

0 |

Pav, I don't know your real name. I wish I did. I'd say this, you're heart isn't in this.

I disagree on every point. I couldn't disagree stronger. Your opinion, like your ballot, is your own. You say breaking up the EU. I'm sorry but what are we breaking exactly? This is a rotten, corrupt neo-liberal cabal at the best of times and its worst - its puts whole nations to the sword. I've been in Athens. When these are our friends, the friends of the poor, then, viva la quinta brigada.

I am a European. I'm working now my 3rd European language. The EU, I studied it in the political department of one of the best universities in Germany - in German. Could be, they sling my westie arse back. I stand on virtue, alone. This system, which you celebrate, you have never met. Go be poor here, or in Athens, Madrid or inner city Dublin. The working class are still here. We hate your fucking EU.

This can be the biggest swipe against the bosses since 1917. Don't forget about your European brothers and sisters today.

Much love
xx

0 |

So your voting out of a system you don't want to be part of whilst you will remain in an eu country leaving us to deal with the aftermath?

Would you move straight back to live in freedom of the eu or remain in a country under their evil reign if you had the option?

1 |

Not sure how many times people have to be told this.
1. Any decision, will not effect the people already there. Nothing will happen.
2. I'm in an EU country what ever. If there was a vote here, of course they would never ask the Germans or French! - but I'd vote the same. Actually lets wait a second -did anyone ask the people here what they wanted? Ummmm... The EU, when presented with democratic rejections, simply re-runs the vote. The actual real people in Europe, have as much love for this bullshit as the Brits.

3 -I'd vote against a system that pits the poor against poor and ensures the best of the poorer countries will always leave, maintaining the status quo . The progress, that we achieved, is being put backwards by an EU which is happy to bankrupt the poorer lands on one hand while with the next building a road or two and calling it progress.
4- Aftermath? Again, falls Brexit. - I'll have more work to do than you, Nik. Never know, maybe I will have to sling my hook. I very much doubt it though.

Tie yourself to this dying ship by all means, but don't think its either progressive or in the name of being European. It is the antithesis of both.

0 |

I get the criticism of the EU and its neo liberal bent. But if that's your gripe what are we replacing it with? Boris and his ilk look to the US and their free market fundamentalism for their inspiration. It's the worse of two evils.

I share the concerns. So please tell me what a vote for Michael fuckin Gove does to strike a blow against neo liberal ideas and improves our ability to protect the NHS, to resist the open fracking, to strengthen our working laws, to address rampant inequality and protect our natural habitats?

You are deluded. It's like you haven't even considered what we are to replace the EU with

0 |

You replace it with your own voice and your own vote.

I have asked this maybe 5 times. Why do you think a post Brexit UK is dominated by the Right? When the vote leave comes, its is only the beginning of a brand new conversation. Forget about those names. In your hand you have finally the opportunity, maybe the last, to finally say goodbye to those people. They are nothing more than useful idiots.

0 |

I appreciate you are a thoughtful person RP.

We should always remember how the social system, how it was built. After the greatest victory Britain had ever seen. IT TOOK THEM WEEKS to say goodbye to Churchill and better men and women than us built the NHS and our social system. These things we take such pride in, were built as a direct result of great shocks and after Conservative governments.

Now, we trust some cunt from Luxembourg to watch our back because we are afraid of the Tories?
Such little faith, in the same people who built the institutions that form so much of our shared national consciousness.

0 |

You see I don't think the eu is perfect and know there is much to fix. I just see the tories as a lesser option. If we had a strong government that focussed on the poor you mentioned I'd be more open to leave but I really don't think putting more power in their hands will benefit us.

0 |

It's a different time though, those who built what we have are miles away from what they've become

0 |

I'm not sure I can phrase it differently.

It will be in your hands. A total blank slate. Tomorrow the battle will begin for future of your own country., Don't think for a second Wolfgang Schauble and his ilk have your interests at heart. Him, and his fellow techno/plutocrats hate the idea of piss poor english or irish types voting. This really is like a small annoyance on a generally comfortable, long ride with destination known.

But unlike the votes in Denmark, Ireland and the Netherlands - the world will pay attention to the democratic decision of British voters. It will seriously piss in their soup - and the day after? Who knows what questions come will come up? Why is our system so unfair, why do we have food banks, why do we have so many homeless?

Post leave they are directly answerable to us.

0 |

Not all Brexiters are racist but all racists will vote Brexit

-Will Self

1 |

I'll still be shocked if we vote leave. Too much to lose if we do. Especially here in NI

0 |

Voted this morning for remain. If leave wins then the next few years for NI look especially bleak. Might be time to up sticks and head south for the winter.

0 |

EU referendum: 40 facts about Britain and the EU to help you decide how to vote

www.independent.co.uk/...

0 |

Kebabs? In

0 |

You can call me tony.

I have asked this maybe 5 times. Why do you think a post Brexit UK is dominated by the Right?

It will be in your hands. A total blank slate. Tomorrow the battle will begin for future of your own country.

In the event of a Brexit... Cameron's position within the Tory party will be untenable... he will be replaced by the more vicious breed of entitled rodent. They will be in power for the next 4 years.

They will be writing the new rules on our blank slate and renegotiating our terms with Europe.

They will still be wedded to the ideology of austerity but not have the restrain of Cameron trying to hold two factions of the party together. the more progressive wing of the Tories will have been defeated.
The short to medium term economic uncertainty will see a shrink in tax receipts that requires either tax increases or service cuts.

There will not be tax increases... The poor will be squeezed until they squeak and they will justify it as the effect of the Brexit supported willingly by the UK press... with the promise of a better tomorrow.

The will lock in their gains and the rules will be stacked further against the poor.

Without being able to act in concert with other parties on the continent to raise standards all round they will push back on workers right... you cannot have soldiarity when you stand apart.

1 |

That sounds far more likely than some kind of revolution in the hands of the people

0 |

DVMC is deluded on that front. I liked Farage and how he pointed out the total lack of social conscience the EU had when dealing with the Euro Crisis. He was spot on in so many of his ranting speeches.

But to think, in any way, that him and his are looking to put the power back in the hands of the little man is incredible thinking. He is a snake oil salesman, saying what ever is expedient to keep his own place secure. Same as Boris, just a few years ago making passionate pleas to allow Turkey into the EU now stoking the fears of that very same country getting membership. All because back then it suited his drive for power, now, he is happy to flip flop because he sees an opportunity for personal gain.

It's nuts

0 |

Promoting fear about Turkey this week, campaigning for them to be in the EU not so long ago. Empty suit, will say whatever is expedient to ensue him and his are kept in power. Nothing else.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=...

0 |

Without being able to act in concert with other parties on the continent to raise standards all round they will push back on workers right... you cannot have soldiarity when you stand apart.

You weak minded fool. You want a Europe which considers you essentially balast, to uphold, defend or fight for your rights? For the sixth time. They are YOUR representatives. Vote them out if think their plans wrong. At least that is in your hands. Europe hasn't bequeathed upon you the Tories - Voters did.

What support do you think Schauble and his ilk will afford our impoverished corner of Europe? I was witness to the wholesale sell off of my own country. Pathetic, cowed politicians sold it euro by euro. Never tell me this is a system for good. This is a sytem built on broken backs, it destroys us as Europeans .

Europe doesn't want this either, this is not a British phenomenon. You will see today what the British people feel.

RP - Do not call me deluded. Call me racist next, maybe?

0 |

BTW Nice to know your name. Hi Tony, I'm Damian.

0 |

"RP - Do not call me deluded. Call me racist next, maybe?"

Yet you feel free to refer to me as: "You weak minded fool"

1 |

.lol.

1 |

On the idea that a vote for Brexit means my desire to see the wave of neo liberal policy that has destroyed the commons and increased global inequality in the last 30 years, yes you are deluded. The desire of Gove, Farage and Johnson as well as the Bow Group and other right wing think tanks driving the leave campaign is to see lower taxes, more privatisation, less environmental and social protections against the pursuit of profit, and less power in the hands of communities.

I have worked on EU programmes which would not be replaced by Brexit. Such programees have directly benefited the least well off, and brought new business and diversification to rural communities.

You speak in high language dvmc and some of the rhetoric is appealing. I do believe you are not considering what comes next to any large extent but happy to take the punt. I am not. I have my eyes open.

Stay in. Push for reform. Avoid the federalisation of Europe, hold the technocrats to account with popular protest across Europe. Stay united and stronger in.

0 |

* has destroyed the commons and increased global inequality in the last 30 years, reversed in any way, yes you are deluded

0 |

Brexit polling turnout for NI said to be brisk and unofficially expected to be around 70%..wtf.

0 |

What's the "wtf" for?

0 |

As in, who fucking cares. i know literally nobody locally that's even voting

0 |

I ran a quick poll in our office and these where the results

I like a nice German Sauerbraten with a side order of Leberwurst
11 /33%

You can't bate a nice sausage and bacon soda
19/58%

I cant be bothered voting, Ricky from Eastenders is on Telly
3/9%

0 |

seems to be the norm on my bakebook page as well with the majority all voting out

0 |

The sickening thing is if it is a vote to stay in it won't be the end of it... they will keep banging on about it until the next get the chance for a referendum ( only now they'll have the EU stich-up conspiracy to moan about to).

1 |

About 99% on my bakebook voting remain rj, mine are all tree hugging hippies and yours are bigoted racists

;)

2 |

the pencil conspiracy
www.theguardian.com/po...

0 |

If it's meant 2B it's meant 2B.

5 |

Wish now I could erase that like a dodgy vote supervisor, and replace it with:

2B or not 2B, that is the question.

0 |

the leave vote will be rubbed

1 |

Just to be sure, when I got to vote I'm bringing a pen wrapped in tin-foil.

1 |

The fucking ridiculous/scary thing is that the people who are going on about the pencil conspiracy are the same people that are deciding whether we should stay in the EU. They can't even get their heads round pencils, never mind all the information about Brexit.

0 |

In hospital at the minute and two of the nurses brought the subject up there.

Nurse One: voting out because her nephew got his third choice secondary school. What in the absolute hell ye on about you complete balloon. "The third choice! Seriously?!! I am voting out"

Nurse 2: voting out because the NHS will be better off she reckons. Aye in the hands of Gove? Again. Where do they get this shit into their heads?

0 |

When does the polls close? What does the Brexit exit polls say?

0 |

That video with the cop.
Fuck me sideways.
The world's gone mental.

0 |

Will be grabbing the water dispenser, throwing it throw the window and heading through it to cast my vote shortly

l7.alamy.com/zooms/236...

0 |

0 |