Choose a discussion

Ulster Rugby

Ach, it's time. Team for Sunday's game against the Dragons:

(15-9): Peter Nelson, Rory Scholes, Darren Cave, Stuart McCloskey, Sammy Arnold, Paddy Jackson, Paul Marshall; (1-8) Kyle McCall, Rob Herring (captain), Wiehahn Herbst, Dan Tuohy, Franco van der Merwe, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry, Stephen Mulholland.

Replacements (16-23): Rory Best, Ricky Lutton, Bronson Ross, Lewis Stevenson, Sean Reidy, Ruan Pienaar, Ian Humphreys, Craig Gilroy.

First point - great to see Best and Pienaar back. Second point - who the fuck is Stephen Mulholland? Third point - how many Les Kiss puns can you come up with?

0 |

Blatant abuse of power matty.

I thought pienaar was gone. Might catch some union club games since super league is over.

1 |

Nah he's signed up til 16/17 season. To be honest, I'd quite enjoy Ulster signing Madigan and letting Pienaar go, we'd be basically the entire Ireland backline at that point.

0 |

How do all you Ulster Rugby fans feel about the whole Jackson and Olding alleged rapey incident?

Must feel strange to potentially be in a situation where you've put on your Jackson jersey, and cheered him on multiple times.

Not judging you, just keen to get an insight into this sordid sport.

2 |

Obviously the case hasn't come anywhere near a verdict, but from what's been revealed so far, I hope that they never return to the team. Jackson in particular will be a massive loss for the skill levels in team (and for Ireland), but that's not important. I don't think they'll be back either, I know it's a "he said she said" case, but what the "he" is saying in that case is not particularly redeeming, and I don't think Ulster or Ireland Rugby will want the association with that, even if they're not guilty in the end. Certainly if they're found guilty, they should never play again.

As for the rest, well, as anyone who watches the game would know rugby players don't wear jerseys with any names on them, and unlike soccer, they don't "reserve" a number either, so a '10' wouldn't even be associated with Jackson, for example.

0 |

It will forever be associated with Jackson in the minds of many people who are appalled by this incident Matthew.

4 |

Will it? I doubt it, it's just a reference to the position on the field, and Jackson has been in the shadow of Sexton in terms of fly-halves for most of his career. Regardless, because of the lack of specific correlation between shirt number and an individual player, fans would very rarely get a number printed onto their jerseys.

0 |

Would most Ulster Rugby fans cheer these players on if they were convicted and returned in a few years to play for Ulster?

1 |

Haven't been following the case. What's been revealed so far, Matthew?

0 |

Why would you not want him back in the team if he's found not guilty?

Dont know the whole in and outs of it, must I've is whatsapp messages boasting about how flthy it was.

0 |

You'll find it in the Belfast Telegraph takki.

TJ, I'd like to think they would not accept their return if they were convicted, but you'll have to ask most fans, if you want that answer. Probably it would be a moot point anyway, if they're gone for a couple of years even, there's no way they'd walk back into the team.

baz - the WhatsApp messages were part of it, they just seem like fellows with a rather ugly perspective on women.

0 |

Are their views on women representative of most Ulster Rugby folk? I would hope not.

1 |

I think we would all hope not

0 |

If they've done what they are charged with then fuck em should get what they deserve.

I just don't think if they are not guilty they shouldn't be allowed back in the team because of personal whatsapps messages between mates which are meant to be personal.

Should see what takki writes about people lol

1 |

They can get a "not guilty" verdict without being innocent, baz.

0 |

I get the impression they'll be considered not guilty in the eyes of some Ulster Rugby fans regardless of the verdict.

Have seen a few attempted character assassinations of the woman already.

1 |

I'm sure, TJ. I'm sure it would be the same no matter the sport, or even if they were musicians or similar.

0 |

Ulster are a disaster this season in many other ways too. Needs a complete restructuring of their upper level management, and a new coaching ticket.

0 |

Maybe best to start with the eradication of sordid behaviour among players first.

1 |

Okay, good chat.

0 |

With the money they have no doubt they'll have a clinker lawyer and will no doubt make thon girl cry again, it's far from over

0 |

It might save them from a guilty verdict like, but I still think they're done at Ulster and Ireland. If nothing else they'll probably want to put some distance between themselves and Belfast for a good while.

Ulster Rugby is weirdly full of a lot of serious Christian players, for whatever reason, can't imagine they'll want to work with them.

In other news, they've sacked Les Kiss tonight, Gibbes is taking over for the rest of the season. Pointless really, they need to be sacking Shane Logan instead.

0 |

Agree with you Matthew and from what I gather they're guilty. They'll not be near either team again regardless

Kiss gone is 5 months too late definitely something not right there but lack strength in depth to compete regularly at highest level. They're like Jekyll and Hyde

0 |

Read the messages tonight.

Sounds dodgy as fuck. Total abuse of that girl. Surely someone must have felt it was dodgy In that party

1 |

All part of the Mike McGoldrick style bantz of rugby ones

1 |

Your hearing one side, Any
one heard the other,no.. maybe she's a bike maybe she instigated it and was totally ashamed of what she did next day sobering up and what not and thought everone would be calling her all sorts on social media etc.maybe maybe not.but u only have heard one story so far.We will never know what actually went on

0 |

We're not hearing one side.

1 |

lemac, I think it's more broadly a grammar school kind of thing too.

0 |

To me the most compelling evidence in her favour that something was not right was the taxi man's account of her being picked up from the house in a distressed state.

0 |

You gather from evidence heard so far Glen or other stuff still to come out?

0 |

It prob started off as ok then reality kicked in mid way thru it and this is where we are at with the young girl feeling badly violated.

Wouldn't be nice load of big ladz coming in from all angles

0 |

Other side of story ain't been told yet

0 |

Did something similar not happen a while back with N.Ireland U21s in a hotel room with some bird. Seem to remember a video goin about never saw it but remember people talking about it

0 |

Defence lawyer is gonna slut shame this girl to the max

0 |

Bukkaroo, there have been plenty of defendant statements read out already, and there's the WhatsApp messages too.

1 |

Ok show me an account/statement of what paddy said what actually happened that night

0 |

Defence say as little as possible until prosecution do there bit..don't u get it

0 |

Guy I know is massively in to rugby and told me in October they were fucked and expecting them to be found guilty
The fella getting done with perverting justice will be key imo

0 |

You don't get it - it was the prosecutor that was reading out parts of the defendants' statements, not the defence.

0 |

Go back to bed lad

0 |

You can go and read it yourself www.irishtimes.com/new... both the WhatsApp messages and parts of Paddy Jackson's own statement are in that opening statement.

0 |

Your seriously lost mate

0 |

Ye wha?

0 |

SHITE

0 |

I SAID U AINT GOT A FUCKING CLUE!!!!!!

0 |

SHITE

0 |

Alright Blane, calm down.

0 |

U think u got a clue but u dont

0 |

Sounds like the guys are innocent.

0 |

Kilo de Cinco • 51 minutes ago
Did something similar not happen a while back with N.Ireland U21s in a hotel room with some bird. Seem to remember a video goin about never saw it but remember people talking about it

Was this the video of the keeper wearing his gloves during proceedings?

1 |

Has that other girl that looked into the room given a statement?

0 |