Choose a discussion

Vegans/Vegetarians

Any on here? Id like to do it but I reckon it would be tough going.

0 |

This is why I eat meat. Look how cute and juicy it looks.

www.facebook.com/18380...

0 |

Happy for you chum

0 |

Still a bit to go yet on the lab meat. Probably not far off a mince like substitute though.

1 |

Keep us updated on that Takki

0 |

Mo I tried a vegan experiment there last year. I went full vegan for 3 months. Lost weight, felt great. BUT fuck me it is hard work. Not actually vegan, but whole food plant based. Which is vegan but slightly different. No processed shite at all. So out goes quorn, tvp, linda mccartneys, most pastas, most breads. In comes tonnes of fresh fruit and veg, also pulses, nuts, seeds, mushrooms, you get the picture.
So everything cooked from fresh. You basically have to re-educate yourself how to cook, eat, menu planning etc.
I found my wastage was colossal, as well as my food miles. Eating the way I did before meant almost zero wastage, and very few food miles. Everything I ate, more or less, was as fresh, seasonal and local as possible. Any thoughts on this? I found it really tough to continue with that paradox.
I think a lot of it is poor planning on my part. I'd say you would need to actually plan breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus treats and snacks, a week at a time, and then go do a big shop. Instead of shopping everyday, only for what you need that day. So habits have to change too. Also a serious cooking sesh needed, once a week, to prepare meals in advance. Who has the time to prepare cashew nut milk from scratch after a 12 hour shift?
I've just moved house, busy unpacking, so as soon as thats done I might give it another go.

0 |

A bit of processed food isn't going to kill you and in a world with so many possibilities the time spent making cashew milk can probably be spent doing something much more interesting.

1 |

E.g slaughtering an innocent young piglet and feasting on it's entrails while it's parents look on in porcine horror.

1 |

Best burgers in Belfast?

I've had enough of this vegan bollocks. Could someone tell my wife it's a pile of trunks please.

0 |

long read on the fact that a bit of processed meat just might kill you
www.theguardian.com/ne...

0 |

Had a burger from tribal burger in botanic avenue on Tuesday night. Unreal. Definitely recommend there

1 |

nice link Bart,

bacon is in my top 5 foods. absolutely love the stuff...but it does keep saying its eating a rasher or more A DAY that is the issue. apart from maybe bread and coffee I don't think I over indulge in things to that extent. a butty once a week is about the height of it on bacon.

who is eating it every day?

0 |

Him

0 |

it says the issues is the nitrites/nitrates added to the meat. i'm going to grab some of the new cancer free bacon later today. will report back later

0 |

Bacon is a joy so not going to be not eating it because 10% more chance of dying ontop of all the other boxes I tick on the high death stakes.

1 |

Aye, bacon a bad one. Classified as a type 1 carcinogen like asbestos and fags. Nothing tastes that good for me

0 |

Living in a city is probably a worse carcinogen than any of those things tbh

0 |

True. So glad I purchased that Bane mask

0 |

venom probably isn't much better molo

1 |

I checked mate, it is.

1 |

Making bacon butties for brekkie and just checked the packaging of our bacon, made with zero nitrites or any other shite, just pure hunky sliced delicious pig, we bitta fried tomatoes and Asher's floury fingers rolls... Breakfast of champions

2 |

Don't know how you do it molo old chap, but fair play

1 |

Haha. Good man. Still putting you on a fast track to the old death pal but you enjoy your breakfast. I'm more stunned you support Gay BAsher's chum. Praying for your black soul on this cold sabbath in March.

1 |

I'd have sweet fuck all to with those Christian gay hating cake baking cunts cept they do make a nice floury bap...

0 |

My kids bday party was yesterday, entertained 30 screaming wee'ans and fed them cocktail sausages and chicken nuggets.. which went down faster than a a bowl of rice in Somalia , got me thinking with you and missus being vegans you'll no doubt like the religious nuts bring your kid up vegan.. get em young before they can make up their own mind eh! Anyways lad what would you when you get to the class party days?? Everyone I've been too it's pretty much the same shit, pizza, happy meals or a mixture of what I served, but I can't see you having much luck with 30kids sitting down to some vegan leafs and nut mix!? I mean would you monitor the kid and make sure he doesn't partake in the devil's sweet sweet food? Or bring a vegan safe lunchbox filled with.. stuff?? What happens when you throw a party?? Can't see aul molo cooking up some battery farmed chicken bits with cramped pig?? Genuine question lad even if it does come across a bit sarcy :-)

1 |

Mmmmm... cramped pig

1 |

I think the cramped living conditions make for a more succulent meat

0 |

Molo, would you or any other vegans you know eat honey?

1 |

Nah. Acacia for me.

By the way Space Bandit and RJ, I haven't forgotten about yous lads. I'll answer soon

1 |

Sound

1 |

You planning to turn to the dark side pal?

0 |

Haha couldn't go straight vegan, would have to go veggie first. No I was gonna list honey in a vegan list for something. Just wanted confirmation.

1 |

www.instagram.com/p/Bg...

Never forget

0 |

I've listened to this audiobook "The China Study, Revised and Expanded Edition The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-Term Health (Unabridged)" by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, Thomas M. Campbell II, MD and thought you would enjoy it too.

It's totally free and you won't need a credit card if it is your first time accepting an Audible book from a friend.

Get it here: a.co/hDamKsb

After you accept the book, you will be prompted to download the Audible app to start listening.

Enjoy!

0 |

This blew my mind.

0 |

Mopez, was listening to a podcast there about iodine and there was evidence in it that vegans, especially while pregnant, are at a risk of not getting enough iodine. If that's the case when pregnant, it can affect the baby's growth, especially regarding the brain.

Seems like there's a strong case for the mother widening the diet, especially to fish and diary. Just wondering what the advice is when it comes to the vegan blogs, websites and things... what they say about it all?

0 |

No idea Takki but if you're really looking an answer I can get you one. The mother definitely wouldn't need to eat fish or dairy though, I know that much

0 |

ca.st/22p5

That's a link to the podcast where they are discussing it. Pretty interesting.

0 |

Have a listen to that podcast from the 15:18 mark.

0 |

I like those Discovery podcasts actually, will do pal

0 |

i would not risk an unborn child or a growing child with a vegan diet when humans have evolved as omnivores tbh

0 |

Haha. Mad logic

0 |

I'd tend to agree with RJ (for once). Humans have evolved to be omnivore. I'd say modern diet has gone heavier on the meat side of things but a balanced diet should include veg, meat, fish, dairy, nut, seeds etc.

0 |

not mad logic Molo old mate, common sense.. humans need a balanced diet, developing children more so and to deny a growing child the delights of chicken nuggets is just plain child abuse in my book

1 |

Vegans 4 Cretinism

0 |

Takki looking a scrap is he?

0 |

haha ;P

1 |