Choose a discussion

Science Fiction (Scifi / Sci fi /Sci-fi)

Know there's a good few sci-fi fans on here, so starting this thread for all things scifi. Books, audiobooks, films, TV, whatever.

Will start off with this...

First Trailer For Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End TV Miniseries - io9.com/first-trailer-...

I haven't read the book, but it gets rave reviews - www.amazon.co.uk/Child...

Just downloaded the audiobook there for the car. There seems to be a full cast version available. Can provide links, if anyone is interested.

0 |

I hadn't realised the second season was on yet... how many episode have been shown?

0 |

I think all of season 2 has been shown

0 |

I haven't watched any, btw. Was just wondering if anyone had seen it to see whether its worth adding to the list.

0 |

Teaser trailer for the new Star Trek TV show

0 |

I'm a big Trek fan, but what a pile of shite that looks like. Supposed to be set 10 years before TOS, in the 'prime' universe, yet looks like a cheap, fan-made version of the JJ-verse. Klingons didn't need to be redesigned /again/ (and so badly), and the dialogue is awful. I suppose the lead is supposed to be acting wooden as hell because she's a secret half-Vulcan or something? Bizarre choices all round.

Also, a prequel series is just a stupid idea, it's been tried, move on.

There's a fantastic story setup already in the prime universe: the aftermath of the Dominion War. Federation has just come through a galactic conflict that forced them to use some "unevolved sensibilities", and what would mean to a culture that is supposed to beyond all that? There's lots of meaty moral stuff that could be explored there, lots of VERY socially relevant stuff to the present day too. Cardassia was decimated, so maybe that culture has now become galactic refugees, and how do humans react to having to accommodate a race that you were just in conflict with? Throw in opportunistic races like the Romulans and Klingons....baby you've got a stew.

0 |

There's not a huge amount to go on, but agree with some of your views, from all we've seen in that trailer. It looks very heavy on the same styling/cinematics as the film reboots, so it looks like they'll be going that way.

I'm not going to be too judgemental of it until I see it, though. Hopefully it will turn out OK. Recently watched through ENT and ended up being sad to see it end once I got to the end of the 4th season. At the time it came out, I really wasn't impressed/judged it too quickly. Hopefully if this has teething issues at the start, they'll get sorted out quickly. It's mad how many of the Star Trek TV shows have had major issues in their first season or two.

0 |

It happened more back in the 90s because of the 26 episode long seasons. That's an insane amount of TV to be writing. That said, DS9 had some pretty solid stuff from the beginning, Voyager was always shite, Enterprise had a complete writing staff overhaul with season 3, and TNG at the start was rushed and had Big Rod still hanging around stinking up the stories.

Discovery will only be 15 episodes, so they have far fewer excuses, and also the risks of fucking up are much bigger these days.

I'll hold off mostly until I see more too, but its just not a very promising trailer, especially with all the behind the scenes troubles, and especially especially when they're expecting most US viewers to pay to watch this (it's on some CBS subscription streaming service, not Netflix, there)

0 |

Voyager shite? it had its moments... well ok it had plenty of them but wasne that bad, tbf all i remember is seven of nine

0 |

I gotta admit, I loved Voyager. But then again, I like all the Star Trek stuff, pretty much. Some of the hardest watched for me where actually probably the first season or two of TNG, tbf.

0 |

i hated Deep Space nine, never got into it

0 |

Voyager is piss. DS9 is the one that most resembles modern TV. It's still great.

0 |

The Sci-Fi Timeline: A Look at When Popular Sci-Fi Movies and Games Took Place

akkischitt.com/stuff/r...

0 |

Neill Blomkamp unveiled Oats Studios, his new project focusing on experimental short films

www.theverge.com/2017/...

1 |

0 |

Blade Runner 2049 - trailer 2

0 |

This looks like it could be decent

Downsizing (2017) - Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures

0 |

Anyone watch the first episode of The Orville?

0 |

Battlestar Galactica fans...

I'm Tricia Helfer, actor, podcaster and Cylon. AMA!

www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/...

0 |

The Orville is just getting better and better.

0 |

Haven't invested anytime into the Orville need to rectify that asap

0 |

gfycat.com/BlackPointe...

0 |