Choose a discussion

Science Fiction (Scifi / Sci fi /Sci-fi)

Know there's a good few sci-fi fans on here, so starting this thread for all things scifi. Books, audiobooks, films, TV, whatever.

Will start off with this...

First Trailer For Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End TV Miniseries - io9.com/first-trailer-...

I haven't read the book, but it gets rave reviews - www.amazon.co.uk/Child...

Just downloaded the audiobook there for the car. There seems to be a full cast version available. Can provide links, if anyone is interested.

0 |

Ha Keanu is a hammy big freak all right ....From what little I've seen I like the look of...visual candy.

1 |

music is class in it as well

0 |

Yes I like the soundtrack too....slinky

0 |

Just about to finish watching Fringe for the 2nd time. Great sci-fi show. Has a bit of everything.

0 |

2nd time!? I couldn’t get past episode 6 or 7, can’t remember why but it just didn’t grab me, would love to have the time to give it another go

0 |

You probably didn't like the main characters at the start. They are annoying, especially when you first start watching, but it's kinda part of their characters and you get used to it/understand why they're like that. The character Walter Bishop and his love of recreational drugs makes up for that too. The long plot stories and the episode-to-episode stories are class though, and the crazy far fetched science mixed with believable science is perfect, IMO.

0 |

Liking the look of this

0 |

First trailer for 'Arrival'

1 |

goddayam that looks right up my street

0 |

ARQ - Official Trailer - Netflix

In a dystopian future, an engineer trapped in a house and surrounded by a mysterious gang of masked intruders must protect a technology that could deliver unlimited energy and end the wars that have consumed the world.

0 |

just make a fucking Dredd show Netflix ffs, Karl Urban has already said he'd be up for it so there's your Hollywood star, the world has been established through the movie so the story telling possibilities are endless

0 |

Only 2 weeks until Westworld starts!

Westworld Promo Video: Classic Western Meets Science Fiction

HBO’s Westworld is in full-on promotional mode ahead of its October premiere. The unique sci-fi/western hybrid looks to build off the classic 1973 big-screen original, written and directed by legendary author Michael Crichton, and based on the talent involved and the previews that have been released, the new TV adaptation of Westworld promises an immersive environment, stunning visuals, and complex characters – including androids.

J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan appear to have created a setting even more sprawling than that revealed in the original Westworld and, with a full ten episodes at their disposal, plan to dive even deeper into the themes that Crichton explored in his version of Westworld and in many of his later works, most notably Jurassic Park. The volatile relationship between humans and technology, and the very nature of reality itself, will be heavily explored in the new Westworld, as evidenced by the already-released previews – and a new behind-the-scenes clip accompanying it.

Read more: creenrant.com/westworl...

0 |

I member Yul Brynner, member Chewbacca again?

1 |

Westworld was out in the states last night mofos

0 |

Westworld looks great, love the movie too. Futureworld was a bit pants tho.

0 |

The Expanse looks great, gonna get stuck into it this weekend. So much to watch!

0 |

Watched the first Season of The Expanse. I just kinda thought it was OK. Not sure what was the craic with it. I just found it a little slow or something. Hoping the 2nd season picks up a bit.

0 |

Watched the new Star Trek there yesterday too. Absolute pants. So many plot holes and ridiculous scenes. Couldn't wait for it to end.

0 |

I gave arc a bash, had high hopes but they werent matched. Cheeky monday off so westworld and a few of preacher

0 |

Do you mean ARQ, as in this...

0 |

Yup, just couldnt get into it. I like the premise, might have been better in a series format

0 |

Westworld is fucking class.

0 |

This looks pretty class

0 |

Watched the pilot of the new sci-fi 'Timeless' last night. Not a bad start, but it's one of those ones were it'll probably take a good few episodes to know if it's a hit or a miss. Definitely doesn't have class as some other classic TV sci-fi's, but it's not bad. Def worth a watch, if you're into the time travel style shows.

0 |

binged out on 6 episodes of the third series of the strain at the weekend, pretty decent, books were class.

0 |

ps. though star trek was shockingly badly directed, special effects were awesome wish i'd gone to the cinema don't think Pegg did too bad a job of the writing.

0 |

The Strain with checking out then? I like getting into shows when there's plenty to marathon on.

0 |

The strain is O K i watched the 1st season, got halfway through the 2nd at the start of the year but just not feeling the pull to finish it.. its a wee bit too suspend belief for my liking even though it takes itself very seiously

0 |

the books were class, was always going to be hard task to realise it on screen. I agree 2nd series was soso but 3rd has been mucho better so far.

0 |

Episode 2 of Westworld leaked, apparently.

0 |

Humans 2nd series starting at end of October.

0 |

westworld-more wannabe intellectual high concept bollocks from a Nolan brother and Abrams.
Watched a few eps of the night of instead and its decent.

1 |

star wars angelus

0 |

You sure you were watching the right Westworld, hulk? lol

0 |

no idea what he was watching, thought the first eps was fantastic

0 |

2nd kinda answered a few of your points you brought up in the Westworld thread too, RJ.

0 |

haven't seen the 2nd eps, will watch tonite so i'm staying the fuck away from that thread

0 |

oh I'm sure, I am fascinated as to how intelligent individuals such as your good selves are drawn into nonsense like this and interstellar, inception etc.
These fuckers have now infiltrated tv drama as well, the big screen not enough for them.

In a few years Jj, the Nolan brothers and Snyder will have something to do with every film and tv show on earth and nothing actually interesting will get made-they'll be like the stasi for film makers.

0 |

What do you mean by nonsense, though? What is it that you didn't like about it?

0 |

plodding along using common sci fi themes like consciousness, control, ai etc but not in any way that I found interesting. Thought the cards were on the table far too early with it in the first episode although you lot are undoubtedly going to tell me theres more than meets the eye and loads more happens over the coming weeks I just can't be arsed with it.

0 |

They better get it fucking right with "Blade Runner 2049", have only watched the first episode of WW but feel the same way about as I did "lost" which I stopped watching after the 3rd episode..

1 |

yep got a lost feeling from it too which translates as shite.

0 |

After one episode, though? lol

0 |

Deakins is the Dop and theres a lot of hype about the director, I wasn't a huge fan of sicario tbh and prisoners was just ok but had the potential to be a lot more. Scepticism has turned into excitement as far as I am concerned now though.

0 |

theres two on kodi although in all honesty I didn't watch all of them both-after the initial few tasty looking shots I quickly realised its not for me.

0 |

Have you seen the Westworld film?

0 |

yes.

0 |

Good innit

1 |

LIFE trailer

0 |

0 |