Choose a discussion

Science Fiction (Scifi / Sci fi /Sci-fi)

Know there's a good few sci-fi fans on here, so starting this thread for all things scifi. Books, audiobooks, films, TV, whatever.

Will start off with this...

First Trailer For Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End TV Miniseries - io9.com/first-trailer-...

I haven't read the book, but it gets rave reviews - www.amazon.co.uk/Child...

Just downloaded the audiobook there for the car. There seems to be a full cast version available. Can provide links, if anyone is interested.

0 |

By God, it looks good so far. Characters and 'sets/environments' look really like how I imagined it in my head. And they seem to be sticking pretty close to the main plots/dialogue in the book, too (from the trailer anyway).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is going to be one of the best, proper sci-fi's in a long time. None of thon Intersteller fantasy sci-fi, but good, realistic, sci-fi, like Moon, etc.

0 |

looks aight

0 |

It's Ridley Scott, so I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach

1 |

"I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is going to be one of the best, proper sci-fi's in a long time. None of thon Intersteller fantasy sci-fi, but good, realistic, sci-fi, like Moon, etc."

I'm too busy/tired to pick at this.

1 |

he loves space oul ridley

0 |

Moon was great, this looks like a big budget slight rip-off, 'I'm gonna science the shit outta this' are ye matt aye?

0 |

So far it looks good but I can see the gung ho 'merkin' way sneaking in which would drive me batshit.

0 |

Moon, Gravity, Apollo 13, Europa Report.

0 |

Silent Running ftw

0 |

He says that in the book, babou. Plus, that is what the character is actually like. He's a cheesy geek type, so he comes out with quite a few things like that. Kinda suits his character, tbf, intelligent, botanist/engineer, geeky, astronaut, specially picked for the crew for his positive outlook and ability to problem solve, etc... even talks in the book about how he's always been the sort of guy to not let things get him down and to always try to get over problems.

0 |

Def a few cringes through the book, but by the end, he's an absolute fucking legend.

0 |

Any of you seen this?

Love (2011)
www.imdb.com/title/tt1...

0 |

Moon was great, but hardly realistic.
You know what, it's fine. It's fine.

1 |

I'm talking more about the general aesthetic and plot of the films, rather than how close to our reality/advances in science, the film is.

0 |

Realistic was probably the wrong word.

0 |

i thought star wars was pretty realistic

0 |

Realistic in tone?
OK let's run with that and get some Chinese food.

1 |

lawl 'Chinese' food

0 |

All the big cinema moguls celebrate a new picture by ordering in a rake of Chinese food.

0 |

Realistic Chinese food?

0 |

i really want another scifi with the tone and look of Bladerunner...

1 |

NASA giving The Martian a wee plug and all -

0 |

only seeing that Martian Trailer there now and had to switch it off, looks bloody good but there's far too much being shown in a 3min trailer and i don't want anymore spoiled

0 |

Sure if you've read the book, the whole thing is spoiled.

0 |

I'd hazard a guess that RJ hasn't read the book?

0 |

your assumption is correct

1 |

I don't think I've met any sci-fi book readers "out of the air-lock(/closet)"

0 |

i cant harp this on enough Takki, you need to order and read Pandoras star.. heres a fecking Amazon link www.amazon.co.uk/Pando... its easily one of the best books i've read it's just an immense epic with some incredibly well thought out tech and worlds

0 |

Nice one, RJ. Will def get on that as I'm looking to increase the sci-fi collection. Currently reading this, and it's brilliantly thought out with a good dose of proper science to back up the idea (even if it is pretty far fetched)...

'Dragon's Egg' by Robert L. Forward

"In a moving story of sacrifice and triumph, human scientists establish a relationship with intelligent life forms--the cheela--living on Dragon's Egg, a neutron star where one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years. The cheela culturally evolve from savagery to the discovery of science, and for a brief time men are their diligent teachers."

Amazon link - www.amazon.co.uk/Drago...
Goodreads link - www.goodreads.com/book...

0 |

how in the feck could life evolve on a neutron star? apart from the fact it's born from the single most devastating thing in the universe.. a supernova, has a balmy surface temperature of fucking hot and spins faster than a ride at Barrys Portrush.. oh and we haven't even mentioned that they're usually about 10km wide with the mass equivalent to a couple of our suns...

might take a wee bit of the ole suspension of belief that one

0 |

Takki, you just got Sunned, Son!

0 |

Here, RJ, it's fiction! :p

But yeah, I was dubious at first as to how you could even get round that pretty massive issue relating to arguably half the main characters of the story, but after reading reviews and physicists on a couple of blogs I read recommend it, I decided to give it go. The guy who wrote it actually does know what he's talking about, too, so the real science is there to help make the stories believable enough.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

So he explains how these creatures live in enough detail for you to OK it. This is from the prologue...

Although many times hotter than the Sun, the neutron star was not a hot
ball of gas. Instead, the 67-billion-gee gravity field of the star had
compressed its blazing matter into a solid ball with a thick crust of closepacked,
neutron-rich nuclei arranged in a crystalline lattice over a dense
core of liquid neutrons. As time passed, the star cooled and shrank. The
dense crust fractured and mountains and faults were pushed up. Most crustal
features were only a few millimeters high, but the larger mountain ranges
rose up almost ten centimeters, poking their tops above the iron-vapor
atmosphere. The mountains were the highest at the east and west magnetic
poles, for most of the meteoric material that fell on the star was directed
there by the magnetic field lines.

The temperature of the star had fallen since its birth. The neutron-rich
nuclei on the glowing crystalline crust could now form increasingly more
complex nuclear compounds. Since the compounds utilized the strong
nuclear interaction forces instead of the weak electronic molecular forces
that were used on Earth, they worked at nuclear speeds instead of molecular
speeds. Millions of nuclear chemical combinations were tried each micro
second instead of a few per microsecond, as on Earth. Finally, in one fateful
trillionth of a second, a nuclear compound was formed that had two very
important properties: it was stable, and it could make a copy of itself.
Life had come to the crust of the neutron star.

:)

Trust me, it's well done.

0 |

ok thats explained enough for me to get with it.. ordered

0 |

Due to the super high gravity, time passes super quick on the neutron star, too (from an observer's point of view), so the evolution of the 'life' happens super quick. When us (humans) start to study the star, we observe the life evolving, but when the story jumps down to the neutron star creatures lives, time goes at their pace and you learn about the trials and struggles.

It's really well done. Quite an endearing story, tbh.

0 |

re: Huxley

Human Potentialities

And so we return to one of the men who was responsible for igniting today’s psychedelic renaissance, Aldous Huxley. The talk featured here was delivered at MIT in 1961, sometime after it was first given at the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco. The Medical Center version of this talk has been credited with giving Dick Price the inspiration to co-found the Esalen Institute. Today, more than 50 years after this talk was given, there remains much of current interest in the sentiments that Huxley so eloquently puts forth.

www.matrixmasters.net/...

-

haven't heard this yet but i bet it's great

0 |

Infographic: What's the fastest ship in sci-fi history?

loid.gizmodo.com/infog...

0 |

The Expanse Is the Show We’ve Been Wanting Since Battlestar Galactica

io9.com/the-expanse-is...

0 |

Sounds good but where's my Stargate type show

0 |

crolldowntoriker.com

1 |

lol just got one that said... "what about the plain old sex?"

0 |

Some of youz folks might enjoy this comic lol - chiefobrienatwork.com/...

0 |

Haven't read that one in ages, good to get a reminder

0 |

It's brilliant, isn't it? I have it in my RSS reader and let it build up over a few weeks. Some crackers recently.

0 |

lol - citycyclops.com/3.06.15.

0 |

RJ, did you ever get a copy of Dragon's Egg?

www.goodreads.com/book...

0 |

It's in my Amazon list to buy, I'm currently reading Sapiens www.amazon.co.uk/Sapie... and its bloody brilliant so im gonna go on a history & evolution of mankind spree and buy a load more books on the subject, fascinating stuff that 6-7million years ago a single ape give birth to 2 daughters 1 of whoms offspring eventually became chimps and the other Humans

1 |

then treat your self to a copy of virolution
www.amazon.co.uk/Virol...
(one of the lsdt just for fun books i managed to squeeze in

and ( a bit more challangeing in places... but rewarding )Oxygen: the molecule that made the world....
www.amazon.co.uk/Oxyge...

and a wee bit of jared diamond... The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee

www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-...

0 |

Good stuff Pav, taking a wee breather from the usual books, loved Empire my last one on the rise and fall of the British Empire fascinating as hell to think it all came about due to the english adopting the Dutch Financial system of credit which enabled us to overtake our rivals in such a short space and rule the planet.

Sapiens is full of incredible stories of how we went from small tribes of hunter gatherers to living in cities of millions without having the time to evolve the necessary traits to enable so many humans to coexist peacefully hence the emergence of religion, nations and money

0 |

Great to see The Martian getting great reviews...

Realism Makes 'The Martian' One Of The Greatest Sci-Fi Films Of All Time

flip.it/3gddU

0 |

Great.

1 |