Choose a discussion

Science Fiction (Scifi / Sci fi /Sci-fi)

Know there's a good few sci-fi fans on here, so starting this thread for all things scifi. Books, audiobooks, films, TV, whatever.

Will start off with this...

First Trailer For Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End TV Miniseries - io9.com/first-trailer-...

I haven't read the book, but it gets rave reviews - www.amazon.co.uk/Child...

Just downloaded the audiobook there for the car. There seems to be a full cast version available. Can provide links, if anyone is interested.

0 |

just realised Im wearing my weyland-yutani t-shirt while on the sci-fi thread, how cool am I

0 |

Yeah that's him. Dune series is Unreal. "Space Opera" at its best

0 |

Pics or it didn't happen

;)

1 |

The Dune books are class, watched the movie a load of times too. Hours long. Great stuff.

0 |

I'm wearing a back to the future tee babou ha

1 |

GEEKS R US

0 |

somebody ban this customer service melter.

0 |

maybe not so much sci fi what do you all think about the stand remake news? Best Stephen King book imo, the movie was pretty ropey but I loved it anyway, oul Randall Flagg www.best-horror-movies...

0 |

ha i love my Weyland Yutani, worn out ffs need to order a new one... I really hope they do the stand justice its a lethal book like pretty much all his earlier stuff, haven't really been that enamoured with his latest loada books, they always start well, hook ye in then he just fucking gives up at the end and writes some shite a schoolkid could come up with.. I'm looking at you Cell & Under the Dome!!!!

1 |

yea have you checked out this site www.lastexittonowhere.com , they do the best tees, I want the Bladerunner one and another Aliens one, wish I was rich! I never bothered with Under the Dome, they are showing The Stand on the horror channel at the weekend I think.

0 |

i'm their biggest customer ffs, have a ton of shit from them, great company and first class service

1 |

'The Running Man' was the first King novel I've ever read. Couldn't wait for it to be over, really.

1 |

the film is class though, 'here's your sub zero, now plain ZERO!'

0 |

I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough for my fist because im going to ram it through your stomach and break your god damn spiiiine!

2 |

*room!

0 |

hahaha what a line, classic!

0 |

Huxley’s Letter to Orwell Regarding 1984 disinfo.com/2015/03/hu...

1 |

Hadn't read that before. Prescient words about the proliferation of prescription meds. Must get Brave New World Revisited ordered. Wonder what the response was.

0 |

great usage of 'infant conditioning' from Hux.
*turns on playstation

0 |

1984 is a better read imo.

0 |

santa bring me this you bastard www.lastexittonowhere....

1 |

was kinda overshadowed by district 9 at the time when it was released, but "moon" is one of the best Sci Fi movies of the 21st Century + ace soundtrack as well. Watched the robocop re-make there recently and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. i'll just get me coat.

3 |

I didn't mind the new Robocop either. The originals were decent, but let's be realistic, they were hardly masterpieces either lol.

0 |

Moon is so good, an impressive debut from Bowie's sprog, very sad as well I thought. I took the wain to see Robocop and I liked it more than he did, not a patch on the original but still decent

0 |

Moon is perfect sci-fi.

2 |

That Predator hoodie is amazing Babbles, I'd love a t-shirt with that on it.

1 |

The t-shirt is schweet, I'll just take one of everything on there please.

0 |

bite yer tongue Takki!! in 1987 robocop was a master piece in the cinema before the edited the shit out of it to make it suitable for british tv audience, it was thenthe most violent film ever made and was fucking epic!! though 2000ad fans always felt it was rip off of Dredd..

0 |

AAARRGggg they dont have a large in that predator hoodie... ah well i've just ordered this to cheer me up www.lastexittonowhere....
damn you babs for posting an easily clickable link!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL

1 |

You've all read "The Martian" right?

Also, for fans of trippy, fucked up scifi reading, can I recommend the Southern Reach trilogy. Somehow being adapted into a film, which seems impossible.

Does apocalyptic fiction count as scifi? If so, The Girl with All the Gifts is a tremendous book.

And rubick - if you liked The Man in the High Castle, have you watched the Amazon pilot? Been picked up for a full series, and I really, really liked the pilot.

0 |

Heard about that Matthew but haven't watched it yet, must give it a look.

0 |

You could probably wait until the full series arrives - I watched the Bosch piloted, and they re-edited a good bit of it for the series release (even re-cast one of the characters), so they might end up doing the same with this one. Still, it's really good as is, but obviously incomplete in terms of story.

0 |

RJ Macready • 17 minutes ago
AAARRGggg they dont have a large in that predator hoodie... ah well i've just ordered this to cheer me up www.lastexittonowhere....
damn you babs for posting an easily clickable link!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL

that is sweet RJ, Dredd is such a class movie!

0 |

buy me a predator hoody while yer at it sure.

0 |

Speaking of dystopias, I wouldn't mind getting a some of the novels from Warhammer 40k in. Wouldn't be too bothered about the miniatures but the lore is fantastically grim.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

0 |

No interest in Warhammer myself, but I saw there's a Total War game coming out based on it ore.steampowered.com/a...

0 |

Oh yeah, not 40K, forgot about that difference

0 |

Anyone ever read The Long Walk by Stephen King writing as Bachman? Very good. More dysptopian than sci-fi though.
Someone mentioned Under The Dome. Absolutely cracking read. 11/22/63 is also immense.

1 |

yea i read the long walk yeeeeears ago, was it a short story along with three other ones?

0 |

Under the Dome was a great read, typically dodgy King ending though. The TV show is so fucking awful. 11/22/63 is one of the best things he's done imo, and the ending is heartbreaking but perfect.

0 |

Yeah, the TV show was atrocious. Such a let down cos I was expecting great things. Absolutely loved the book. It was so big and ambitious but he nailed it (abortion of an ending notwithstanding). I think there's over 100 characters in it.

11/22/63 I couldnt put down. Burned through it in no time and Im normally a pretty slow reader. Yeah, he got the ending spot on there I thought.

Reading Hearts In Atlantis at the minute. Among other things.

0 |

Yeah, Babs, Rage (discontinued since the spate of Columbine style school shooting sprees), The Running Man, and Roadwork were all released with it in a Bachman collection.

0 |

atza one

0 |

They're making a TV show out of 11/22/63 also btw, James Franco in the lead role believe it or not. It'll be on Hulu.

0 |

Yeah, heard about that. Didnt know Franco was cast. I reckon he's as good a fit as any for Jake. Franco's filming Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle at the minute actually. Cracking book about a fruit-workers strike. Really good read. But I digress.

0 |

Bryan Cranston, Robert Duvall, Ed Harris, and Selena Gomez are also on board apparently.

0 |

Oh, Oxford comma.

0 |

I cant reccomment these two books highly enough en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... easily the best, biggest and most technologically smart scifi series i ever did read, the sheer scope of the novels is enormous with massive interconnecting storylines that would each make great standalone books.

Theres a section in the first book that perfectly describes in a believable manner how an alien species rose from the mud so to speak to evolve into this borg like civilisation to attack the galaxy with each step of its evolution perfectly described.

0 |

A bit old now and actually hard to get but I'd recommend the Shadowrun novels for a bit of lighter reading. Novels were released from early 90s onwards. Takes in a bit of Cyberpunk and fantasy genres.

0 |

Great wee Documentary about PK DIck,

0 |