Choose a discussion

Science Fiction (Scifi / Sci fi /Sci-fi)

Know there's a good few sci-fi fans on here, so starting this thread for all things scifi. Books, audiobooks, films, TV, whatever.

Will start off with this...

First Trailer For Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End TV Miniseries - io9.com/first-trailer-...

I haven't read the book, but it gets rave reviews - www.amazon.co.uk/Child...

Just downloaded the audiobook there for the car. There seems to be a full cast version available. Can provide links, if anyone is interested.

0 |

Great story....will be interesting to see how the mini series pans out.

0 |

Books - It's been a long long time since i read any real Sci Fi fiction but the obvious are obvious:-

Dune
Eyes of Heisenberg

Lensman series

Anything by Philip K DIck

Anything by Robert A. Heinlein

Brian Aldiss -The Helliconia sreies

0 |

Halfway through 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
Been reading a load of dystopian novels in the past few months:

'Brave New World' - Aldous Huxley
'The Man In The High Castle' - Philip K. Dick
'The Running Man' - Stephen King

2 |

“...reality, however utopian, is something from which people feel the need of taking pretty frequent holidays....”

Huxley is a legde

0 |

I was gonna recommend Snowpiercer in the fillum thread but here might be a better place.

1 |

And I read Under The Skin recently and loved it, almost as much as the film.

1 |

Under the Skin <3 <3 <3

0 |

read a book about Tim Leary recently, it was Huxley's idea for him to get hold of a shed-load of LSD and push it on America. got his Doors Of Perception here too but haven't started it yet. Apparently it's pretty tame stuff by these day's standards but it's importance in how we've become a fairly progressive society with class bandwidth cannot be underestimated. died the day Kennedy was shot too, how cool his vibration was.

0 |

one of my fave sci fi movies ever has to be Silent Running.

1 |

Silent Running is superb.

3 |

Stelker

www.youtube.com/result...

0 |

Dark Star

0 |

hey

2 |

Stalker for real this time lol

1 |

can anyone see this? Or I am still insta-invisibled?

0 |

Lawnmower Man is a good show.

1 |

can you see me?

1 |

No you're invisible.

3 |

I watched the Lawnmower Man quite recently, I thought it was absolute genius as a kid.

1 |

ah good, thanks for confirming! anyone remember me Sophia Wright aka customer service guru?

0 |

Europa Report is def worth a view

2 |

how's it going customer service queen?

0 |

good thanks, nice to be back in here, it's been far too long. My site is doing well, loads of visitors to the blog, busy time for customer service atm, particularly as we go into summer!

0 |

Eden Log , bizarre

0 |

that is good to know queen, do you like sci fi ?

0 |

A little bit yeah, watched some of the star wars and star trek, like doctor who too x

2 |

just watched silent running recently cos heard kermode going on about it for the 50th time and really enjoyed it.
Love Bruce Dern.

Best I've seen recently is def ex machina, thought snowpiercer was a load of old bollocks.

2 |

ex machina is fucking awesome, oscar isaac, ungh.

0 |

Oh jesus how could I forget Ex Machina! Aye, miles better than Snowpiercer but it was definitely not bollocks. IMO anyway.

0 |

babou • 18 minutes ago
one of my fave sci fi movies ever has to be Silent Running.

When I first read this I was like, "WTF has the Jamaican bobsleigh team got to do with sci-fi??"

1 |

lolz

0 |

Lol @ cool runnings! Anyone see Prometheus? Anyone else think it was poop?

0 |

I started back in to BSG there recently as my GF has never seen it, and I gotta say, it's a fucking masterpiece.

I like how this thread is going, btw. Looking forward to geeking out all over it.

1 |

scanner darkly, it's quite the headfuck

0 |

I really need to read more books, last book I read was last year ffs, under the skin first fo sho bradders!

1 |

love that show too.
I'm actually genuinely excited for star wars now too after that new trailer, if he has done as good a job as the first new star trek I'll be ecstatic.

0 |

Bring back Stargate and Startrek tv shows and ill be a happychappy

0 |

scanner darkly that is;)

0 |

Sort of sci-fi related, Jodorowsky's Dune the documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's version of Dune that was never made. Involved Giger, Moebius and Dan O'Bannon. Blew me away, shame it never happened.

2 |

I love the very first Star Trek movie, pure psychadelics.

0 |

so what's the verdict on prometheus? Good or crud?

0 |

I keep meaning to watch that bradders! Moebius related, The Masters of TIme and Fantastic Planet are good watches

0 |

Watched the first Trek movie again recently - it's 75% staring out from the bridge of the Enterprise.

2 |

I've seen them all haha, and most of the next generation ones , and the two new ones, admitting to liking Star Trek here yikes.

0 |

Trek is great. I'd love to get the Blu-rays of Deep Space Nine but they haven't made them yet, and I know that as soon as I buy the DVDs they'll immediately announce the Blu-ray release. You see my predicament.

0 |

The book Creations, edited by Isaac Asimov blew my stoner mind as a teenager. Would love another go at it.

0 |

Dune could doing with a big budget update. People don't like the 80s version but I thought it was decent. Looks dated as fuck though.

Last sci fi I read was Kevin j Anderson stuff. Saga of the 7 suns. Decent read tbf.

0 |

Have watched most of the trek movies again recently and they haven't aged particularly well but still class;)
Loved the borg one of the more recent ones first contact was it?

2 |

Kevin J Anderson of the now-defunct Star Wars expanded universe novels?
Must read Dune, that's one that slipped through the net over the years.

0 |

It was, hulk.
I have the The Next Generation Borg Boxed Set on VHS.
It's in the shape of a Borg ship, fucking lethal.

1 |