Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

I have no issue with access to healthcare or schools etc for military members but AFAIR the DUP was pushing for a blanket amnesty for soldiers and police to be included as part of the legal side of things around the covenant. If that is the case then it's scandalous TBF.

0 |

Is there official confirmation on that?

Or just more speculation?

That's the problem here, no proper details and a lot of guess work. Proper melt though I'm sure it will all come out soon

1 |

Andy how can you create a future when always looking to the past?
Did you think all the early release from prison as part of GFA was scandalous as well?

0 |

Lol @ "I'm sure it will all come out soon"

1 |

I am not looking to the past. What I'm obviously badly portraying is that there shouldn't be a blanket immunity for police, military or paramilitaries of any persuasion. If evidence comes up for past crimes for conviction then do so. I don't mean that we go continually digging for evidence and harking back. What that means is there won't a truth commission and victims won't get the answers they want. If you want to cover that with conviction immunity then it gets very divisive on all sides IMO.

0 |

dufunk • 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
SF certainly lost a lot of LGBT voters last night, proof that they only care about votes and would of went into government with soley the ILA. Mask has slipped quite a bit of late on their whole loving thy neighbour equality crack.

What is he even talking about. Lol

0 |

I'm sure you tuned into Nolan last night? SF electoral video promised the LGBT community equality and no return to the status quo yet they were willing to go into government with just the ILA. False promises for votes as per.

0 |

part of the agreement was a private members bill for marriage equality and an understanding not to use PoC to block no?

so it was a middle ground really

0 |

Is it really a surprise that SF used peoples issues to further their own political agenda even if it's disingenuous to the public concerned (this time it's LGBT rights)? Last time they caused a political shitstorm in a teacup SF said they were standing up for the most vulnerable in society, yet here we are with the health service and social care in serious trouble, but clearly getting ILA is now more important than peoples health (and kids educations). It's hardly a new thing. It gets them votes and it's a great tactic to 'beat the bastards'.

DUP & SF are as bad as each other when it comes to their antics. DUP just dont give a fuck if they're seen to be cunts. SF are sneaky about it. Both still happy to use the public to further themselves, rather than the other way round.

Can't see any real change to things the way they are at the minute, with the only two parties really being DUP and SF, and with them *having* to be in mandatory coalition, is it really something which can ever be conducive to a forward moving and productive collaboration? Cant see it with both parties having such fundamental differences and with both parties willing to use the public as pawns for their own gains.

Throughout all this, the only person that has genuinely seemed like they are wanting what's best for everyone has been Naomi Long. Just wish there was some way a middle ground party like Alliance could get a foot in.

0 |

Like I said...I think they got the DUP to a good position on marriage equality given they don't like laying the oul pipes

0 |

Sneaky is right! DUP are pretty transparent with their cuntness.

0 |

They did have that big thing focussing on the 'vulnerable' in society but haven't implemented any big changes in mental health and safeguarding vulnerable people. In fact in a recent report it seems we are far below the national average for seeing those in urgent medical need and those vulnerable members of society SF care so much about are being left on long waiting lists and being failed.

But sure people are easily fooled and manipulated. It's how the world always have the biggest ruthless cunts in power

0 |

www.irishtimes.com/opi...

0 |

More suicides since the end of the troubles than people who died in that war brings it home

Northern Ireland suicides outstrip Troubles death toll

www.theguardian.com/uk...

Priorities all over the place because we are governed by ideologues and fanatics

0 |

Woman dies after 9 hr ambulance wait

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

The vulnerable definitely not a priority

0 |

Talk to any paramedic at the minute. Grim times. Their job is stressed and they are having a salary increase held back because of cuts.

0 |

And that's a historical pay increase after a court case...so big money for them

0 |

'SF are sneaky about being cunts..'
Lol.

Reads.. SF haven't actually done much wrong here but their fenians so they must be cunts

0 |

'The DUP rejected an advantageous deal on the grounds that it could not sell it within the party and certainly not to its supporters. The consequence is not just the continued suspension of devolved government for the foreseeable future. It is likely to go further and deeper than that. It may well be the end of devolution until such time as it is resurrected within a federalised Ireland.

What is more certain is that it has further widened the gap between those who believe that the union is preferable and secure and those who believe that unity is becoming more attractive and more likely.'

How does that general concensus sit with young unionists of the board such as dufunk and muzka. The growing opinion that a United Ireland is not only inevitable but is being expedited by the leaders of unionism?

0 |

A border poll could well put that kind of assumption to bed you'd have to say Muzak. I mean when push comes to shove and a significant number of Unionists need to come over to the light, will they?

The giddiness among some republicans is sickening on that front. I mean if a United Ireland is closer now it surely still remains a good 20 years away.

0 |

That's what I'm saying.. There's almost a weird sense of victory amongst those that want a united Ireland, without any real practical evidence that it's actually happening

All the while basking in the slow death of unionism

0 |

Muzak, why do you always play the sectarian card? I'm just not keen on SF, just like I'm not keen on DUP. It's political, nothing more.

I thought you'd retired that chip on your shoulder lad.

0 |

its as if DUP want to take a Trump approach to describing what went on:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

"Never happened, whadda ye talkin about mate?"

0 |

DUP are all over the place at the moment. Clearly 2 separate fractions operating to a different tone and leadership. Power struggle. Shambles lol

0 |

'SF are sneaky about being cunts..'
Lol.

Reads.. SF haven't actually done much wrong here but their fenians so they must be cunts

This lol no reasoning with you, no chance of you stepping away from your bias for one minute is there! coming out with that paranoid backward statement at the end proves were you are at.

Anyway more job loses announced in manufacturing again today.

0 |

Office Gaeltacht status for areas of Belfast and Derry

www.irishnews.com/news...

Huh?

0 |

office = official

0 |

tคккเรςђเtt • 2 hours, 38 minutes ago
Muzak, why do you always play the sectarian card?

To wind up dufunk

0 |

I thought I was going to have to bring out my amazing photoshop of a sheep with a chip on its shoulder again.

0 |

luggerotoole.com/2017/...

0 |

Need a short synopsis RP.. I need to know whether to promote or slander this article
Does it favour us or them?

0 |

2 |

Zero fucks given

0 |

Tax payers expense whilst paying this fuckers out on strike

People vote these cunts ffs

1 |

These fuckers

1 |

Wonder who leaked the picture lol

0 |

There will be no Brexit: Irish border mess shows why clean UK break is impossible
www.rt.com/op-ed/42008...

0 |

Id like to see no brexit myself but that has to be the worst journalism i've ever read.

0 |

His writing is pretty shit but the double bind May and the DUP find themselves in is right. In fact its been obvious since day one that if you claim no hard border then you can't have hard Brexit. Unless you have the mind of Boris where running an EU border with the Republic across Northern Ireland will be just like the congestion charges in London, then you can't have it both ways.

So the DUP want to have the same trade agreement with the EU for NI as the rest of the UK. But no hard border. And still they offer no practical view of how that is to work. It's childish and totally irresponsible, burying their heads in the sand. No vision just ideology. SF no better. No solutions being offered

1 |

SF's solution has been crystal clear for 100 years now lad

0 |

Not sure how RP squeezed in a criticism of SF there lol. Why should SF be coming up with the answers to a problem not of their making? NI voted in favour of remain so therefore the protestations of the DUP against a border down the Irish sea has no weight whatsoever. That would have been implemented as preferred option by May and the tories long ago but for their side deal with the DUP to keep power. It should still be implemented IMO.

0 |

So what is there plan now talks have collapsed. They seem to be talking at this high level of principles but lack any actual practical vision of what awaits us in 12mths. Correct me if I am wrong. All we have got is a declaration that direct rule is not acceptable, but the idea that the Irish government will have a say in the day to day affairs of NI seems just as far fetched.

So in that confusion where are their solutions? Absolutely nowhere. They are not negotiating on Brexit, they are not in Stromont, DUP are holding Westminster to ransom.

All they have is words, zero substance and what Muzak said...dreams of a United Ireland.

It's the same all round...nobody is laying out a practical vision of how any of this will work.

0 |

It's about taking a leadership role Andy and getting to work, not just crying foul from the sidelines

0 |

I was specifically talking about Brexit RP. With regards to talks process, yeah for sure they could do more but from what I've seen of the outcome. SF where the losers and gave a lot more than the DUP did to get a deal. What more can they do? Do you wish them to just bend over and say power sharing at any cost? That seems very close to what the SDLP are spouting at present. SF would lose my vote if they did that and I wouldn't be on my own.

0 |

Exactly where did the SDLP say that, they are far more logical and realistic than SF that's for sure!

0 |

Eastwood and the ones from the north west are the only ones actually making some noise about brexit.

0 |

Of course they didn't say that. They'd look like a bunch of fools if they did. Reading between the lines they'd compromise on stuff that SF either haven't or wouldn't just to get power sharing back up. Power sharing was close to a deal but DUP pulled out. Again, read the eamon Maillie site. SF would have been the losers going by the deal that was outlined. DUP electorate didn't buy it and there's no leadership there so it fell to bits I don't think the SDLP would or could have done more.

0 |

Check out @EamonnMallie’s Tweet:

0 |

Is it fair to say Sinn Fein have embraced power shower to a greater extent than their DUP counterparts?
What would the SDLP be doing right now differently from Sinn Fein if they were in the nationalist driving seat?

0 |

They did UpInArmsMa. The SDLP are where they are because they've been soft on things like identity and out of step with Nationalist voters e.g. abortion and things like that. Too Catholic Conservative, middle class IMO. That is why their vote is declining.

0 |